iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   Working Under Your Coach (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/working-under-your-coach-196125.html)

DonL 03-12-2014 10:07 PM

Working Under Your Coach
 
Our coach has air suspension and HWH hydraulic levelers. I need to do some inspection and possibly some repair work under the motor home. Looking for ideas on how to do it safely. I don't need general advice (i.e., use jack stands or grease pit), but I would geatly appreciate specific information and ideas.

Thanks in advance.
DonL

Dutch Star Don 03-13-2014 01:04 AM

Don...When I work under mine, like changing oil and lubing the chassis, I make sure the coach is fully aired up. Sometimes I may put the jacks down, but often, they get in the way when moving around under the coach.

I have some old 10" x 10" x 12" tall wooden blocks I keep in my side yard. I slide those under the body in a couple of places at the rear. They are just tall enough that if I hit an air dump valve the coach will not drop low enough to pin me. A good support under the hitch will also keep the coach from falling.

My new coach is really low at the axles compared to my prior coach. I have to run the rear of the new coach up on 4" tall blocks to get under it.

stink 03-13-2014 01:21 AM

I leave the suspention aired up and lower the jacks for redundent prevention from getting squished. Save your cardboard, I find its easyer to slide on cardboard than use a creeper.

ohhwell 03-13-2014 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonL (Post 1965667)
Our coach has air suspension and HWH hydraulic levelers. I need to do some inspection and possibly some repair work under the motor home. Looking for ideas on how to do it safely. I don't need general advice (i.e., use jack stands or grease pit), but I would geatly appreciate specific information and ideas.

Thanks in advance.
DonL

Use jack stands or some other failsafe incase the bags deflate for some reason.

Really, if you want advice more specific than that, maybe provide the specifics on your coach and if someone else ahs the same model and year, they can tell you about the poison spikes that deploy in certain areas of the undercarriage.

rsflight 03-13-2014 11:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I built (4) ramps so that all rear tires are supported. I also use them for my car & p/u repair needs. Even with the air bags deflated I can easily move around underneath. I'm not able to crawl under without the ramps.

gatorcq 03-13-2014 01:24 PM

Drop the Hydraulic levers and work on the rig. Hyd are very safe. That is why they are used. I

bruceisla 03-13-2014 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don (Post 1965732)
Don...When I work under mine, like changing oil and lubing the chassis, I make sure the coach is fully aired up. Sometimes I may put the jacks down, but often, they get in the way when moving around under the coach.

I have some old 10" x 10" x 12" tall wooden blocks I keep in my side yard. I slide those under the body in a couple of places at the rear. They are just tall enough that if I hit an air dump valve the coach will not drop low enough to pin me. A good support under the hitch will also keep the coach from falling.

My new coach is really low at the axles compared to my prior coach. I have to run the rear of the new coach up on 4" tall blocks to get under it.

I've also noticed my coach makes my clothing fit tighter ... weird :D

bruceisla 03-13-2014 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonL (Post 1965667)
Our coach has air suspension and HWH hydraulic levelers. I need to do some inspection and possibly some repair work under the motor home. Looking for ideas on how to do it safely. I don't need general advice (i.e., use jack stands or grease pit), but I would geatly appreciate specific information and ideas.

Thanks in advance.
DonL

Actually, it depends on your coach (and you). I'm not small by any means but I can slide under my coach without "airing up" and work on nearly anything ... including changing oil and filters. Give it a try before jacks/etc. I don't use a creeper ... just a tarp or cardboard. Once I'm past the lower edge of the cargo hatch, it's roomier.

Dutch Star Don 03-13-2014 02:25 PM

I'm a fatty, but I could get under my Monaco without too much trouble when it was aired up. My new Freightliner chassis is a different story. I'm going to have to hire a skinny kid to get to the air dryer on the Freightliner.

nctox 03-13-2014 02:33 PM

I was advised by a service tech at Freightliner to never get under your coach without jack stands (12 ton) in place. He said he had witnessed an air bag failure, and the coach fell abruptly, not slowly! I always use jack stands now. I think everyone should. JMHO.

bruceisla 03-13-2014 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don (Post 1966395)
I'm a fatty, but I could get under my Monaco without too much trouble when it was aired up. My new Freightliner chassis is a different story. I'm going to have to hire a skinny kid to get to the air dryer on the Freightliner.

Yes ... I was kidding of course ... I have noted the need for people that look like Gumby to work under the current models :D

Dawgs 03-13-2014 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nctox (Post 1966399)
I was advised by a service tech at Freightliner to never get under your coach without jack stands (12 ton) in place. He said he had witnessed an air bag failure, and the coach fell abruptly, not slowly! I always use jack stands now. I think everyone should. JMHO.

Talked to Fleetwood and Monaco techs. They all use jack stands. I use a set of 22 ton stands from Summitt Racing. Can't be to safe.

adonh 03-13-2014 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawgs (Post 1966472)
Talked to Fleetwood and Monaco techs. They all use jack stands. I use a set of 22 ton stands from Summitt Racing. Can't be to safe.


Something like this?

http://www.summitracing.com/search/p...k-stand/22-ton

Where do you position them, thanks.

macandphyl 03-13-2014 04:11 PM

I take mine to the local repair company that specializes in school buses.
They are a Freightliner & Cummins authorized service center. They
lift the bus with a jack at each tire position till it is 5+feet in the
air. We then can inspect everything underneath, make necessary
repairs, do corrosion control, etc. In this way it is safe, and you have
complete access to every component.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:12 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.