iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Alpine Coach Owner's Forum (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/)
-   -   Dash warning lights not working (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/dash-warning-lights-not-working-201493.html)

AlpineRivers 04-26-2014 10:49 PM

Dash warning lights not working

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this site and am hoping for some tips on where to begin troubleshooting a problem with my dash warning lights. 1999 Alpine Coach; lights worked fine up until today when I attempted to change/check the small bulbs at the rear of the coach in the 3rd brake light on the engine cover (3 small bulbs inside). While trying to remove one of the bulbs with my screwdriver it sparked. Not sure if there's a connection with the dash lights here but after this the dash warning lights stopped working. Gauge lights, headlights and fog lights all work. Any advice?

Thanks all,

Skip426 04-27-2014 10:42 AM

:welcome:Sorry your having problems.:sad:

The high mount bulbs should only have been " hot " with the brake lights on so yours is a peculiar problem.
Did the bulb work after you replaced it?
Have you found and tested all the fuses in your coach?
I ask because , I've found fuses in 10 different locations on my coach , 4 chassis and 6 for the interior.
Don't know the Alpine line up , did they use Freightliner chassis in those years?

Algoma 04-27-2014 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlpineRivers (Post 2026550)
Hello everyone,

I'm new to this site and am hoping for some tips on where to begin troubleshooting a problem with my dash warning lights. 1999 Alpine Coach; lights worked fine up until today when I attempted to change/check the small bulbs at the rear of the coach in the 3rd brake light on the engine cover (3 small bulbs inside). While trying to remove one of the bulbs with my screwdriver it sparked. Not sure if there's a connection with the dash lights here but after this the dash warning lights stopped working. Gauge lights, headlights and fog lights all work. Any advice?

Thanks all,

Usually when you get a spark like that it will have blown a fuse. Have you found the fuses yet? They are behind the pull out panel in front of the passenger seat. Which lights are you referring to when you say "warning lights"? Hazard, turn signals, air pressure, oil pressure,ABS?
As skip pointed out there is no 12v to the bulbs unless the brake is on which means you may have a wiring problem. Have these lights worked before?

EngineerMike 04-27-2014 10:43 PM

Brake lights are fused in the Battery "VEC" aka Vehicle Electrical Center, which is located per John's post. VEC contains both fuses & relays. Brake lights are just fused, no relay action.
Not sure why popping the brake light fuse would shut down the Message Center light cluster.

AlpineRivers 04-28-2014 12:25 PM

Thank you! Unfortunately, I did not change the bulbs (need to buy them) and I wasn't able to locate the fuse panel. It's a Peak Chassis. I'm assuming its a blown fuse and read here the fuses are behind the front passenger seat. After several attempts I wasn't able to get that cover off. It seems as though it might be screwed in (afraid to rip the upholstery or crack the dash). The headlights and turn signals all work fine but I no longer have the dash warning lights that come on when the key is turned to "on".

Is there a trick to getting that carpeted panel off to access those fuses?

Algoma 04-28-2014 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlpineRivers (Post 2028600)
Is there a trick to getting that carpeted panel off to access those fuses?

On mine that panel is not carpeted, it is covered in the same vinyl as the dashboard. There should be a small vinyl strap along the left side of the panel that allows you to pull the panel away. If you have new carpet on the floor it may be trapping that panel and you will have to pry it away carefully.

Old Scout 04-28-2014 05:34 PM

Just to clarify--the fuses are located behind the large panel under the dash and directly in front of the passengers seat [your reply suggested you were looking "behind the passenger seat"]. Typo or geography issue?
PS--carpeting varies from year to year but generally the panel pulls outward from the bottom, the carpeted strip stays on the panel

AlpineRivers 04-30-2014 10:07 PM

Thanks for all the guidance everyone!!!

Turns out that panel in front of the passenger seat (carpeted) had four screws holding it down. What a bear to find as they were hidden deep within the carpet! Got behind there and located the blown fuse......changed it and all is now working. Thanks again. Can't tell you all how much I appreciate your helpful input.

Algoma 05-01-2014 05:55 PM

Thank you for closing this thread. Wish more people were like you and told us how their issue was resolved.

P.S. Create a signature that includes all your coach details.