iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   Indoor/outdoor thermometer (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/indoor-outdoor-thermometer-202444.html)

Big Dude 05-04-2014 09:38 AM

Indoor/outdoor thermometer

I am considering buying a residential indoor/outdoor thermometer for my class A but not sure the best place to mount the outdoor sending unit to get accurate readings. Any suggestions would be appreciated as would any choices of device.

Bumps 05-04-2014 09:40 AM

We put our remote sensor on the inside wall of the engine compartment, about 6 inches from the rear vents. When we are driving it is useful temperature information for the compartment back there. When we are camping, it is shielded from wind and rain, so readings are pretty accurate. \ken

nctox 05-04-2014 09:48 AM

I have mine mounted on the firewall inside the front cap. While that keeps it out of the rain, etc, it also makes it give a hotter than real outside temp when the sun hits the front cap.
It's one of those things I will change, when I get a round tuit.:D

Skip426 05-04-2014 09:51 AM

I have one and have a real problem with placing the, wireless, remote sensor, to avoid full sun, when parked. Best place so far has been hanging on the north side under the slide , but still gets sun for an hour a day.
When driving, I hang the sensor from the wiring harness, between the front cap and the firewall; works ok when moving , but goes nuts if the coach is parked facing south even for an hour.
Mine is an " Acurite " system from Costco. 3 years at the S&B's and on the road working fine.

Statgeek 05-04-2014 11:38 AM

If you also have a TPMS, better check the rf on it versus your rf thermometer. Sometimes they are broadcast on the same frequency, which can cause problems with either.

Arch Hoagland 05-04-2014 11:45 AM

We use three.

One attached at the front air intake on the grille where no sun hits it. That's good while moving, no good when stopped in traffic, etc.

One attached to the patio awning arm on the passenger side and one attached to the window awning arm on the drivers side of the coach.

There is no other way to get the true temperature that I know of.

spinn 05-04-2014 12:12 PM

Like others we have one mounted in the generator slide area, seems to be a moderated temperature area and a second sensor in the water bay. The water bay sensor more for times of cold weather

vsheetz 05-04-2014 12:27 PM

I just set the sensor out on a small folding table that we setup along with the camp chairs. When traveling it rides on a shelf in the compartment where the propane tank is located.

Chuck48 05-04-2014 03:45 PM

I put mine in the water and sewer bay. Out of the sun and I can keep an eye on low temperatures.

Jupiter 05-04-2014 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vsheetz (Post 2036938)
I just set the sensor out on a small folding table that we setup along with the camp chairs. When traveling it rides on a shelf in the compartment where the propane tank is located.

Me too. As part of my "set up" routine I just place the outdoor transmitter on a picnic table or other location out of direct sunlight. I also have another transmitter permanently mounted in a pass thru area of the basement by near water lines.

Seems like we all like to know the temperature regardless of extremes. ;)

cheers,
Joopy

Spizzer 05-04-2014 09:15 PM

I have mine hung in the bay with the propane tank. Lots of airflow in that compartment by design. Seems to do pretty good there.

Jeff

Dutch Star Don 05-04-2014 09:19 PM

I mounted mine under the edge of one of the slides. When the slide is in, the sensor is protected. When the slide is out it doesn't get direct sunlight and gives a good reading.

brobox 05-04-2014 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck48 (Post 2037178)
I put mine in the water and sewer bay. Out of the sun and I can keep an eye on low temperatures.

X2 tells when there is a need for basement heat.

njs42 05-04-2014 10:57 PM

Auto meter sell an indoor outdoor dash gauge. It is not wireless. I installed one on my dash (I have a trans temp and clock in the same set up) and ran the wire up the side channel of my windshield and into the outside rear view mirror. I get temps driving and sitting. Both inside and out.

Prior to this I have a wireless inside the wet bay for obvious reasons and I simply put one in its mount right outside the front door, theory is if the sun is out so is the awning and if not then everything is cool (pun).