iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   Drivers Rear View Mirror to View Passengers (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/drivers-rear-view-mirror-to-view-passengers-203855.html)

usinvestment 05-15-2014 11:05 AM

Drivers Rear View Mirror to View Passengers

Is the mirror more of a distraction or useful? I don't have one now but have often thought it would be a good idea. Not sure if it would be more of a distraction.

Thank you!

bdickson 05-15-2014 11:23 AM

If it is so you can keep an eye on children/pets, shouldn't be an issue. If it is so you can get eye contact while talking with passengers, not such a good idea.

Ray,IN 05-15-2014 12:31 PM

I look at mine, maybe, once a day; and then only if I hear a noise behind me. I would not miss it were it gone.

TonyDi 05-15-2014 01:21 PM

Mine is fairly useless to look around the cabin. However, it does have a compass and thermometer built into it. So I guess it does have some redeeming value. I guess if I were at sea the compass would come in handy:rolleyes:

Hooligan 05-15-2014 03:18 PM

Bought an oversize clip on mirror, goes on the original rearview. It's panoramic and I can check the cabin if someone/something is moving around. It's mounted well above the normal field of view. Local autoparts store, seems worthwhile..

wa8yxm 05-15-2014 04:19 PM

A class A does not normally come with an inside mirror.. I added a small one (Baby mirror designed to keep eye on Baby) frankly it's useless.. I'm thinking of a full size Rear View (Autotive) but as I now travel alone and have been traveling for a long time.. Most of the noises I hear behind me My ears ID so it's not really an issue.. at least not till I find Sweetie #2.0 to travel with me.

Pigman1 05-15-2014 04:26 PM

I use it to keep an eye on DW when she goes to the back for a potty break or a snack/drink. She does the same for me. We've been watching out for each other for 53 years and have no intention of stopping now. I finally figured out how to do it!! (slow learner, I guess)

palehorse89 05-15-2014 04:30 PM

Don't use it......

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyDi (Post 2052970)
Mine is fairly useless to look around the cabin. However, it does have a compass and thermometer built into it. So I guess it does have some redeeming value. I guess if I were at sea the compass would come in handy:rolleyes:

I ask the gentleman I was buying it from about it when I first walked into the Coach and sat in the drivers seat......"What good it the rear view mirror"? Digtal temp. & compass..........is about it.

usinvestment 05-15-2014 06:26 PM

All very good comments and useful information.

Thanks!

Dutch Star Don 05-15-2014 08:34 PM

We bought a new Monaco Diplomat in 2005 with the TV that hung down from the ceiling. At the same time my sister bought a new Itasca Meridian (Winnebago DP). Theirs came with a large rear view mirror. I bought the same mirror and added it to the underside of the television. I used it off and on for years, but primarily to keep an eye on the wife when she was moving around. It was nice, but I'm not going to add one to my new coach....not enough use.

Wizard 05-16-2014 07:33 AM

I have one and use it to keep a check on DW when she is up and the dog and cat who rides on the couch.

ohhwell 05-16-2014 07:44 AM

The PO had mounted one to keep an eye on passengers. Having kids makes it very worthwhile and I caught young ones sneaking the seatbelts off on the couch. It was definitely worthwhile in that environment until it fell off.

Tony Lee 05-16-2014 09:14 AM

Keeping an eye on people moving around behind you seems a bit futile. Is it so you can watch them sailing through the air when you hit something because you weren't watching where you are going.

I take the mirror off simply because if it is there I can't help including it in the normal rear view scan and that is just an unnecessary distraction.

ohhwell 05-16-2014 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Lee (Post 2054077)
Keeping an eye on people moving around behind you seems a bit futile. Is it so you can watch them sailing through the air when you hit something because you weren't watching where you are going.

I take the mirror off simply because if it is there I can't help including it in the normal rear view scan and that is just an unnecessary distraction.

You must not have kids or the ability to do a glance-scan without running off the road. Do you not look in your side mirrors? Do you not glance at the instrument console here and there? Somehow, I am able to do all of that and even take a peek at the passengers now and then.

Maybe you are referring to the guy who watched his wife when she was out of the seat. That does seem a bit excessive but maybe he just glances up here and there when she is moving around to see if she has fallen and he needs to pull over to help or something.