iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   The Best way to Find (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/the-best-way-to-find-204767.html)

scooterbob 05-22-2014 12:26 PM

The Best way to Find

I am looking to mount a bracket on the outside of my MH.
How is the best way to find the studs ? Nothing is visible from inside when I remove the drawers.
I want the mount to go into a stud for support. I tried tapping on the outside for a solid sound like you would do in a home. I also looked in the outside refrigerator cover, with no luck.

2000 Fleetwood southwind 35S

mel s 05-22-2014 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scooterbob (Post 2063149)
I am looking to mount a bracket on the outside of my MH.
How is the best way to find the studs ? Nothing is visible from inside when I remove the drawers.

scooterbob
see: 5-In-1 Stud Finder/Voltage Tester :thumb:
Mel

MSHappyCampers 05-22-2014 03:19 PM

Bob, I would think you could use any decent studfinder. I just tried mine on the side of the MH and was able to locate the studs without any problem.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless! :thumb::D

mel s 05-22-2014 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers (Post 2063305)
Bob, I would think you could use any decent studfinder. I just tried mine on the side of the MH and was able to locate the studs without any problem.

ScooterBob
If your RV has aluminum wall framing, (like mine), a decent "magnetic stud finder" is useless, (you will need an "electronic stud finder").
Mel

Francesca 05-22-2014 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mel s (Post 2063402)
ScooterBob
If your RV has aluminum wall framing, (like mine), a decent "magnetic stud finder" is useless, (you will need an "electronic stud finder").
Mel

Do aluminum-framed walls use fasteners made of something other than steel?

I ask because it's my understanding that it's the nails/screw a magnetic studfinder keys on since wood itself is obviously as "non magnetic" as aluminum-?

nothermark 05-22-2014 04:58 PM

The simple swinging bar magnet keys on the screws/nails. The electronic stud finders key on changes in an oscillator frequency caused by the surface it is moving over. Metal studs or thicker material will show up that way. Some of them also look for 60 HZ AC coupling into the coil to detect the presence of a live power line.

mel s 05-22-2014 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Francesca (Post 2063408)
Do aluminum-framed walls use fasteners made of something other than steel?
I ask because it's my understanding that it's the nails/screw a magnetic studfinder keys on since wood itself is obviously as "non magnetic" as aluminum-?

Francesca
On my coach the outside "siding" is fastened to the aluminum wall framing with aluminum, (and some stainless steel), rivets and fasteners...... (a magnet is NOT attracted to either).
The inside "vinyl covered lauan plywood" is glued to the aluminum framing members.
Mel
'96 Safari

DGShaffer 05-22-2014 05:10 PM

Hey Bob, wait until a chilly morning. When you look at it, you'll see all the studs outlined by the morning dew. Take a picture so you'll have it as reference but mark them with soap

scooterbob 05-22-2014 06:50 PM

Mine has fiberglass on the outside no rivets showing. Will look at Home Depot or Lowe's for electronic stud finder.
Thanks for all the pointers

DGShaffer 05-22-2014 06:52 PM

So is mine. They were clear as day.

mel s 05-23-2014 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 2063445)
Hey Bob, wait until a chilly morning. When you look at it, you'll see all the studs outlined by the morning dew. Take a picture so you'll have it as reference but mark them with soap

DGShaffer
:thumb:
Here is link to a photo of the the left rear sidewall of a coach, (taken on a "dewy" Florida morning).
https://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/132790...ame/image.jpeg
Mel
'96 Safari

DGShaffer 05-23-2014 07:09 AM

That link doesn't work for me

scooterbob 05-23-2014 03:13 PM

Doesn't work for me either

RickO 05-23-2014 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 2063445)

X3 :thumb:

Probably not the best time of year for this but it does work.