iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   5th Wheel Discussion (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f44/)
-   -   Propane Tanks ? (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f44/propane-tanks-206703.html)

CCFROMFL 06-06-2014 09:30 PM

Propane Tanks ?

I have the usual 40 gal x 2 for propaadne, one on each side. They are supposed to hold about 7 gallons of propane one will show empty but when refilling tank will only take a little over 4 gallons. Thus there is about 3 gallons left ..... but tank will not empty ? ? ?

Any suggestions ?

Skip426 06-07-2014 12:15 AM

Is the problem limited to the tank on one side of your 5er.
Or are both tanks doing the same thing.?

I've had friends with the side to side tank system, have problems with getting any flow from the left side. There is an odd dual regulator system.

If the problem is with the left side tank , swap it to the right side ; when it shows empty; and see if you can still use it.

go4dsnow 06-17-2014 02:36 PM

Don't trust the gauge anyway. Keep one tank turned off and run the other tank til empty and then switch.

jesilvas 06-17-2014 08:14 PM

First, we don't know what system you have. Most likely, you have a standard auto change over regulator. It is designed to leave both DOT cylinders on, one cylinder empties, and then auto changes to use LP out of the other cylinder. If you're having to turn one off then swap, there's an issue.

Next, where are you getting these numbers? And since when are 40# cylinders (AKA 10gal cylinders) usual. Common size, especially on a Keystone, is 30#/7.5gal cylinders.

Now, since you reference weight at first, you know that you don't use gallons to fill or measure them. You use weight. So, when it is empty (not sure how you know it's empty, you didn't say), weight it. If it is truly empty(ish), it should weigh whatever is stamped on the collar of the cylinder. There is a "TW" marking, which is tare weight; empty weight of the cylinder with just the valve installed and no LP in it. If it is close to that, it's empty. If it's off, let us know what it weighed and the TW of the cylinder, and we can figure how much is left.

go4dsnow 06-18-2014 08:17 AM

He said it was only taking 4 gallons to fill it. You can tell when the tank is still half full by simply lifting it. Personally I like to know when a tank is empty, that is why I closed one tank and run until the first one is empty and then switch. Others on this forum are perfectly happy to just let both tanks run dry.

Wallaby Dan 06-21-2014 10:30 PM

You could get a "fuel gauge" type tank. Worth the pain for me. Camping world has them. Cannot remember how much as it was along time i have had them.

jpharley 06-22-2014 12:08 PM

We leave ours on auto. I think our 30 lb tanks take 7 gallons of propane. If we are using propane for heat, the generator, etc., we just check it periodically. How difficult is that? Nothing like waking up at 3:00 am and it is freezing inside because the propane has run out and you have the other tank shut off and you have to get dressed and go open the other tank.

rfhtlh 06-28-2014 08:12 PM

we had a 2004 excel that had one tank on each side. had some problems when switching tanks occasionally and was told we needed a regulator on each side. excel has since put regulators on each side to solve the problem. does your unit have a regulator on each side?

jesilvas 06-29-2014 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rfhtlh (Post 2114550)
we had a 2004 excel that had one tank on each side. had some problems when switching tanks occasionally and was told we needed a regulator on each side. excel has since put regulators on each side to solve the problem. does your unit have a regulator on each side?

What kind of regulators? A lot of manufacturers use a step down regulator (from 350PSI max at the cylinder to about 30PSI) then that goes into the auto change over.

Skip426 06-29-2014 12:50 AM

No replies from the original poster in three weeks .:whistling:

rfhtlh 06-29-2014 06:24 AM

our new excel has the standard 30 psig on each side

glennwest 06-29-2014 08:53 AM

Our Teton has a light in info center that lights up when it switches over.

wa8yxm 06-29-2014 01:45 PM

On most RV's with mounted tanks there are two Indicators.

One is your monitor panel.. DO NOT BELIEVE IT

The other is on the tank itself.. usually, unlike so many other fuel gauges, these are fairly good.. Key word: USUALLY, means "not only".

glennwest 06-29-2014 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wa8yxm (Post 2115426)
On most RV's with mounted tanks there are two Indicators.

One is your monitor panel.. DO NOT BELIEVE IT

The other is on the tank itself.. usually, unlike so many other fuel gauges, these are fairly good.. Key word: USUALLY, means "not only".

Sorry you consider me a liar. I do not lie. Against my morals. All the Teton units, to best of my knowledge, had this feature. It is simply two wires coming from top of regulator change over running inside to a panel. Two lights, when empty it comes on. Real neat feature and simple system.