iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Tiffin Owner's Forum (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f106/)
-   -   What is the Big 3 (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f106/what-is-the-big-3-a-209628.html)

jriedel 06-29-2014 10:27 PM

What is the Big 3

I'm looking to buy a coach & read this & don't know what it refers to.

Skip426 06-29-2014 10:38 PM

Big three in automotive , was Chev , Ford & Chrysler.
In an RV context, it could easily depend on which type of RV your referring to.
Class A manufacturers would have to be Newmar , Tiffin ,and Thor.
But that's an out and out guess on my part, because I'd never heard of the term used in RVing.
EDIT: If the term is being used in a publication , then the 3 are the publishers choice , or the top 3 by sales, or ...or ...

Scarab0088 06-30-2014 12:36 AM

1. Inventory (lots but not too many for the market)
2. Sales staff (informed, professional, experienced, etc)
3. Retail message in advertising and on the lot - focus, urgency (not distress) for the customer, relatable to the buyer, etc.

As the buyer, it is good to know what the sales staff "should" offer...that's The Big 3.

BTW, the Big 3 RV makers for total of all models in volume are Thor, Winnebago, and Jayco.
For most Class A Diesels, Tiffin :thumb:

Best luck

okgc 06-30-2014 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jriedel (Post 2116081)
I'm looking to buy a coach & read this & don't know what it refers to.

In the Tiffin world the "Big Three" refers to three issues Tiffin had for 4-5 years. Wet bay floors, roof rail cracks and leak in driver side slide out. They are repairing these items FREE even after normal warranty expires.

luvlabs 06-30-2014 07:13 AM

To the OP:

The model years of Tiffin coaches that you need to be aware of are pre-2012. If you are buying a used coach, you can ask the owner if the slide floor (driver's side front slide), wet bay (floor), and roof rails have been repaired. Tiffin has an extended warranty on these items and even if you are not the original owner you can have them repaired at no charge. You can also call Tiffin service with the VIN number and see if the repairs have been made.

You can also check these areas yourself. The roof rails are the radiused portion between the side of the coach and the flat part of the roof. Look for hairline cracks (they will look like scratches) that run from the side wall towards the top of the roof. They do not run length wise. The wet bay floor - check for sagging (it should be flat) or softness (test with a screwdriver). Slide floor - check for swelling along the forward edge and softness with a screwdriver.

Skip426 06-30-2014 09:25 AM

Thank you , to the Tiffin forum members, who posted , I've learned something this morning , and I haven't finished my first cup of coffee. I'm good for the day , now.:flowers:

Pa Uon 06-30-2014 09:27 AM

I'll be calling Tiffin with a vin. We have an '07 Phaeton (bought used 3 years ago) with no problems. Doesn't hurt to check. I assume the 3 items must be done in Red Bay?

plasma800 07-01-2014 07:05 AM

And to continue the chat on the issue, I have been seeing a lot of great buys on Allegro buses in the 08 range, but makes me nervous as a cat to buy one - mainly because of these issues.

Is Tiffin still fixing in units that old?

luvlabs 07-01-2014 08:18 AM

Pa Uon - Tiffin has repair centers for these problems in the northeast, Red Bay, and the West Coast. Red Bay has each repair down to one day or less. Red Bay is also closest to you.

Plasma800 - a couple of things to consider 1) it may have already been done; 2) it may not show any of the problems; 3) Tiffin did put a time limit on the repair but you would have to check with them; 4) Every coach that comes into Red Bay is checked for these three items.

Pa Uon 07-01-2014 09:10 AM

Luvlabs,

Thanks, we might be stopping by RB at the end of Winter.

plasma800 07-01-2014 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvlabs (Post 2118052)
Pa Uon - Tiffin has repair centers for these problems in the northeast, Red Bay, and the West Coast. Red Bay has each repair down to one day or less. Red Bay is also closest to you.

Plasma800 - a couple of things to consider 1) it may have already been done; 2) it may not show any of the problems; 3) Tiffin did put a time limit on the repair but you would have to check with them; 4) Every coach that comes into Red Bay is checked for these three items.

that's cool. I'll just keep asking as I go along. probably won't be ready to make a move til next month anyway. One thing I really love is the cabinetry inside! there's a lot of space in these things.

rick_p 07-01-2014 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvlabs (Post 2118052)

Where on the west coast?? Was not aware of this.

Thx, rick p

luvlabs 07-02-2014 07:40 AM

rick_p,

Your coach will,most likely, never need any of these things, but you can call Tiffin Service and ask them.

Chuck&Pam 07-02-2014 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvlabs (Post 2119498)
rick_p,

Your coach will,most likely, never need any of these things, but you can call Tiffin Service and ask them.

Because his is a '11 model? or is this a 'sometimes' problem depending on specific factors?

Also.. are the issues related to specific models or lengths or was it across the entire lineup?