iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   Motorhome won't start (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/motorhome-wont-start-219353.html)

Seabird1926 09-11-2014 12:54 PM

Motorhome won't start
 
I drove my 1994 Newmar KountryAir home from the dealer, parked it on my inclined driveway with the air brake on. Nothing now reads on the electric shift monitor although every thing else works. The electric isolation switch in the engine compartment is on. The engine will not start. I suspect I need to get the transmission into park or neutral in order to start it. I would greatly appreciation a solution.

dennis45 09-11-2014 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seabird1926 (Post 2224488)
I drove my 1994 Newmar KountryAir home from the dealer, parked it on my inclined driveway with the air brake on. Nothing now reads on the electric shift monitor although every thing else works. The electric isolation switch in the engine compartment is on. The engine will not start. I suspect I need to get the transmission into park or neutral in order to start it. I would greatly appreciation a solution.

When you say everything else works,
Does the engine crank but does not start?
Or does everything light up but engine does not crank?

I'm not familiar with your transmission shift but mine will default to neutral when the Ignition is turned off.

rsha 09-11-2014 01:11 PM

Did you lower the jacks or have a slide out during the time you had it parked?

rssnape 09-11-2014 08:19 PM

Allison transmission? check the fuse in the ecu box on the firewall.

Seabird1926 09-12-2014 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsha (Post 2224500)
Did you lower the jacks or have a slide out during the time you had it parked?

No I didn't lower the jacks. I have moved the slide in and out. I also have had the electrical connection to AC on.

Seabird1926 09-12-2014 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dennis45 (Post 2224496)
When you say everything else works,
Does the engine crank but does not start?
Or does everything light up but engine does not crank?

I'm not familiar with your transmission shift but mine will default to neutral when the Ignition is turned off.

No, the engine doesn't crank. All the gages light up. My transmission is an Allison. I checked the Allison relay and fuse box. The 10 amp fuses are ok and I can't check the 'Neutral Start' relay. I may buy a new one.

Seabird1926 09-12-2014 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rssnape (Post 2225005)
Allison transmission? check the fuse in the ecu box on the firewall.

Yes, I checked the Allison fuse box and the two 10 amp fuses are ok and I don't know if the 'Neutral Start' relay is good or not so I will try to find a new one.

DieselTech39 09-12-2014 11:14 AM

:welcome:

Glad you're aboard. Check to make sure your ground for the starting circuit is good and check the starting battery condition. Best of luck i finding a solution. Enjoy your adventures and be safe.

TeJay 09-12-2014 11:39 AM

seabird,
You said that you suspected that you needed to get the transmission into park or neutral. Is there a reason why you can't get it into one of those gears??? Why did you make that statement??? So if you can't get the gear selector into park or neutral it's because the weight of the vehicle on a slope is keeping the parking pawl locked so you can't easily move it. It will move but it will take some effort.

Let us know what your response is to that question before trying others things. No vehicle will start if it's not in park or neutral.

TeJay

fastcat 09-12-2014 01:04 PM

Parking pawl on an Allison with air brakes? Are we sure about that?

deandec 09-12-2014 02:52 PM

I recently had a similar problem. The Allison had no power.

On my rig there is a solenoid that controlled the ignition power to the Allison shifter and other running gear fuses. It had lost its ground connection. I could focus on that section of fuses, because they did not light up when the key was turned to on.

Aside from wasting multiple hours trying to diagnose the situation, a simple connection from the solenoid to a temporary ground made things well.

rssnape 09-13-2014 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seabird1926 (Post 2225654)
Yes, I checked the Allison fuse box and the two 10 amp fuses are ok and I don't know if the 'Neutral Start' relay is good or not so I will try to find a new one.


There should be several "spare" relays in the Allison panel. Swap the neutral start relay with one of those to verify that the no start condition stays the same.


1997 Tiffen Allegro Bus 37', Cat 3126

HHIDan 09-13-2014 04:44 AM

DieselTech39 is probably right, bad ground near starter. Same thing you describe happenned to me last yr.

"007" 09-13-2014 04:58 AM

Welcome to irv2.
Can't really help you with problem but can give you a Brochure and 1997 Owners Guide for coach.
Here is information on shift control can maybe find other info in search in Newmar forum.
In my signature below are links to others that relate to your Newmar.
Enjoy the forums and welcome to the Newmar family.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:07 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.