iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Monaco Owner's Forum (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/)
-   -   Rotten Egg Smell (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/rotten-egg-smell-221208.html)

Nana25K 09-27-2014 01:01 PM

Rotten Egg Smell

We just finished serviceing the rig. All new fluids(oil,tranny&rear end) and serviced the Genny.
My brother took it for a ride of about 10 miles roundtrip. he got a very sudden over whelming rotten egg smell in the FRONT ONLY of the MH. He had slowed way down to make the turn into the shop driveway because its very bumpy.
1. There is only slightly less than 1\4 tank of propane
2. He turned off the propane and plugged it in as a precaution. After a few minutes the smell started to dissapate.
3 . its way forward of the batteries and those were just checked for water etc.

We are not there. Just left it in his care so he could finish service

Any ideas will be appreciated.

Bob&AnnaMari 09-27-2014 09:34 PM

My guess is the washer/dryer if you have one. It has been the source of all our rotten egg smells. You need to gbet water in the P-trap, or better yet run some bleach through it and then a water rinse. Smell should be gone.

94-Newmar 09-28-2014 07:43 AM

Rotten egg smell is perceived differently among us. As Bob&AnnaMari mentions above, the Clothes washer can be a source of the smell from the grey tank. The same smell can be had from the black tank. Roof vents for the grey or black could be blocked or obstructed with a nest of some sort, either one of the tubes could have slipped down into the tank. Lead acid batteries venting due to either overcharging or a few bad cells venting. Could also be propane leaking....There are a variety of different sources for the "rotten egg" smell. :-)

RWeigant 09-28-2014 08:23 AM

Also the fridge. If you have a leak it will smell like that.

OLYLEN 09-28-2014 09:35 AM

Check the refer. If it is the refer this is when over heating and fires happen.

LEN

Nana25K 09-28-2014 09:52 AM

refer checked and fine. Smell is only up front in the the "cab" area. Can't be smelled any farther back than mid living room.
Will know more for ourselves when we get back tomorrow

plasma800 09-28-2014 09:58 AM

My first guess is grey tank. When driving, for some reason, the smell seems to accumulate in the front... have no idea why.

I would flush it real good, then put some Happy Campers in there (and everytime you empty it) and keeps all the traps full of water.

If it were propane, your alarm certainly would have sounded.

Bob&AnnaMari 09-28-2014 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plasma800 (Post 2247170)
If it were propane, your alarm certainly would have sounded.

I certainly agree with plsma800. When I recently replaced our Norcold with a domestic refer, the propane alarm went wild when I disconnected the propane. And there was no smell from the propane itself. So, if your propane detector tests OK, I think you can rule this out.

poncho62 09-28-2014 01:41 PM

Does the vehicle have a catalytic converter in the exhaust system?.....When you said he was slowing down, it sounds like it could be that...I have noticed it while coming off a major highway onto an off ramp before in some vehicles.

RWeigant 09-28-2014 02:42 PM

Like the fridge, the air conditioner cools the same way.

Nana25K 09-28-2014 07:23 PM

No catalytic convertor. Its actually straight pipe no muffler. Brother turned on the propane today. No smell no alarms. Guess we'll have a better handle when we get back to it tomorrow.

WoodrowRAM 09-30-2014 04:44 AM

Was your brother eating hard boiled eggs? NOW that will get you your rotten egg smell!!!! LOL :D

H. Miller 09-30-2014 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RWeigant (Post 2247493)
Like the fridge, the air conditioner cools the same way.

Negative! The a/c's use R-134 with a compressor - the frig uses a chemical reaction to heat, with no compressor (unless modified to a "home frig").

Nana25K 09-30-2014 07:08 AM

Picked up the rig yesterday.
On electric when we arrived with gas turned on. No smell. Unplugged, flipped the refer to gas. With in minutes we get a "NO" CODE/blinking gas light on refer which indicates no ignition or failure to reignite. And I'm looking at Ron wondering if he let off a nasty��
Once we start down the road I am getting a sort of funky smell. However no propane alarm is going off. Stop turn off the propane.
Park 30 minutes later, propane still off and now a more "Gray water smell".
While our propane tank reads 1\4 full, we suspect its lower so thinking not enough pressure to keep refer lit.
This morning no funny smells at all. So checking the gas lines out then will go from there.