iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/)
-   -   IP Cam (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/ip-cam-225336.html)

BernerDad 11-02-2014 07:02 PM

IP Cam

Has anyone setup an IP cam that can be accessed remotely to check on the RV? I have done it for my home, but am stumped as to how I could do it for the RV over wifi.

Thanks,

John

2015 American Revolution 42G

John & Dorene with Lexie, Bailey, Brie (Bernese Mountain Dogs), Chloe (American Eskimo), and Ember (German Shepard Dog)

CountryFit 11-02-2014 07:11 PM

same as do it in home but you will need to have wifi in place.

Bumps 11-02-2014 07:16 PM

Our MH has cameras that record to DVR when motion is detected. System has the ability to connect to a network so I can keep a virtual eye on it, but I think I would find that really quite boring. NOW IF IT WOULD NOTIFY ME when motion was detected, that might be worth something to me! \ken

Lt Dan 11-02-2014 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bumps (Post 2294862)
Our MH has cameras that record to DVR when motion is detected. System has the ability to connect to a network so I can keep a virtual eye on it, but I think I would find that really quite boring. NOW IF IT WOULD NOTIFY ME when motion was detected, that might be worth something to me! \ken

Ken, both my current IP digital camera system and my previous analog system have the capability to send an e-mail when a motion alarm is detected. You might check the manual for yours and see if it has that feature.

WagonMaster 11-03-2014 07:16 AM

I've got one running in my rig but it wasn't easy. Consumer Hotspots use "double NAT", which is a private IP address between the tower and your hotspot, that you can't get through. If you want to use a portable hotspot, i.e. AT&T Unite, you will need a static IP assigned to it by your ISP. Cellphone companies don't do this for the average user, and you must have a business account to get one. The cost for an I2Gold plan from AT&T is three dollars a month. For me it is well worth the cost. I have recently learned that you can get a "Cloud Cam" that doesn't require a static IP that will work. Do some research on some other forums, searching for "Cloud Cam" and you will find the solution. Good luck, you can do it!

LT Dan, I like your picture, we've got three of those rascals.

BernerDad 11-03-2014 08:16 AM

Thanks for the replies. I'm hung up on how I could connect through public wifi like at a campground. At home I can open up a port on my router and use DNS server to maintain a static address. I don't see how to get pass the port forwarding.

I could see how to potentially do it with a connection through a cellular hotspot, but don't know if it would be data usage prohibitive. Maybe not if I'm only looking in for 15-30 secs every once in a while. I guess that I would be taking the data hit twice (sending out and then receiving on my iPhone).

John

2015 American Revolution 42G
John & Dorene with Lexie, Bailey, Brie (Bernese Mountain Dogs), Chloe (American Eskimo), and Ember (German Shepard Dog)

TechWriter 11-03-2014 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BernerDad (Post 2295360)
I'm hung up on how I could connect through public wifi like at a campground. At home I can open up a port on my router and use DNS server to maintain a static address. I don't see how to get pass the port forwarding.

I could see how to potentially do it with a connection through a cellular hotspot, but don't know if it would be data usage prohibitive. Maybe not if I'm only looking in for 15-30 secs every once in a while. I guess that I would be taking the data hit twice (sending out and then receiving on my iPhone).

I use two CloudCams in my RV.

They connect to the Internet via a WiFi hotspot in my RV, a CradlePoint MBR95 with a Verizon UML290 USB data stick.

No static IP is required.

I can access my two cameras from my iPhone anywhere there's an Internet connection.

The only time the cameras start using data is when you connect to them -- and not much data is used unless you connect for a LONG time.

WagonMaster 11-03-2014 09:20 AM

They don't use as much data as you would think. I like my IP cam because it has a real zoom, pan and tilt, controllable IR lighting, mic. and speaker. Got it from China for around $100.00 bucks. I can zoom in on the dogs and the temperature device, plus I can talk to them, lol. You can't do port forwarding from a Hotspot device without a Static IP because of the double NAT used by cellphone companies.

TechWriter 11-03-2014 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WagonMaster (Post 2295442)
You can't do port forwarding from a Hotspot device without a Static IP because of the double NAT used by cellphone companies.

My CloudCams are working from my hotspot just fine.

WagonMaster 11-03-2014 04:27 PM

I know......I'm talking about non-cloud cam devices, and other devices that require port forwarding. The Cloud Cams sound like a really good solution for most.

pasdad1 11-03-2014 05:18 PM

IP Cam

1 Attachment(s)
Try this one.

Attachment 78187

And add this as well

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denali (Post 2292974)
I just got a neat little device, a TRENDnet Wireless N 150 Mbps Travel Router, TEW-714TRU: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Plug it into the wall, log on to it through a browser, set it to a park Wi-Fi hotspot, and the hotspot is shared.

The primary motivation for buying it was so we could use our wireless printer regardless of which Wi-Fi network we are using for Internet access. The printer now gets it's address from the TrendNet router, as do our laptops, Kindle, TV, and Dish receiver. As we move, I no longer have to re-direct all our Internet-connected devices.

Of course, when we are at a park that provides Wi-Fi for only one device, that device will be the TrendNet. While we are using our Verizon MiFi, I point the TrendNet at that.

By the way, it does work with Wi-Fi networks that require that you log on to a splash screen with the user name and password that the park provides.

For $32, it provide great convenience for a frequent traveler.

BernerDad 11-03-2014 05:29 PM

I looked at the DropCams, but my understanding is that they stream 24/7 and would eat up tons of data.

I'm looking for something that is only on demand so I can do a quick check.

John

BernerDad 11-03-2014 06:16 PM

I should mention that I have a wifi Ranger Sky/Go2 on order, so plan to use the GO2 as a router.

By the way, PPL Motorhome has a good deal through 7-Nov on that combo. ($100 off)

bokobird 11-03-2014 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BernerDad (Post 2295981)
I looked at the DropCams, but my understanding is that they stream 24/7 and would eat up tons of data.

I'm looking for something that is only on demand so I can do a quick check.

John

It would only stream when you connect to it. It can't "stream" when there is no one listening.