iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   Loosening Stuck Set Screws (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/loosening-stuck-set-screws-225421.html)

ProjectPro 11-03-2014 02:01 PM

Loosening Stuck Set Screws

I am trying to better align the rear view mirror on the driver's side (there is about a four-inch gap between mirror and coach). The arm moves freely after I loosen the bottom bolt, and I can easily remove the mirror's front set screw. However the rear set screw doesn't want to break loose. I hit it with PB Blaster, tapped it a few times, and let it stand overnight. Still stuck.

Any ideas of how to get the thing to break loose? I'm thinking about fashioning some sort of extension for the Allen wrench, but I can see lots of downside to that.

Thanks in advance.

stink 11-03-2014 02:09 PM

Mine was a bugger also! As you apply torque to the set screw it forces the screw to expand getting more stuck. Try soaking with a little diesel fuel (best penetrating oil you can get).

Clay L 11-03-2014 02:35 PM

If a thread lock compound was used, holding the Allen wrench with a pair of pliers and heating it with a soldering gun while keeping turning pressure can break it loose.

bamaboy473 11-03-2014 03:48 PM

The best break-free stuff on the planet is called Kroil. It might even be a tiny bit better than diesel fuel, since most owners of old, old MB diesels swear by it, too.

Best of luck with the job, and I'd soak that sucker several days before trying to force the allen head and stripping it out, then use Clay's method to ease it out, using a Good allen wrench, not China's finest.

T Gibson 11-03-2014 08:38 PM

+2 to what Clay said. Heat will softens the thread lock enough to remove the screw. Also try tightening, and loosening repeatedly with the heat at the same time. This process has worked the best for me in the past.

GreaTOne65 11-03-2014 08:50 PM

I've had pretty good luck with a hand impact driver. Just bought one at Tractor Supply. A little penetrating oil, has worked well for me.

Hikerdogs 11-04-2014 09:20 AM

We had the same thing happen to one of the set screws on the passengers side mirror of our 2001 Winnebago Adventurer. I finally had to drill through it and remove it with an easy out.

I found a drill bit that just fit the hex opening of the set screw and drilled through the screw. I then took progressively larger bits until there was just a shell left. Then I put an easy out in the hole and was able to back out the remainder of the screw.

Before installing a new screw I ran a bottoming tap through the threads to be sure they were free of burrs. I then coated a new screw with anti seize and installed it. As a precaution I removed all the remaining set screws on both mirrors and coated them with anti seize to avoid another problem.