iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f45/)
-   -   Long Rig Friendly Gas Stations (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f45/long-rig-friendly-gas-stations-227537.html)

bv2245 11-24-2014 07:12 AM

Long Rig Friendly Gas Stations

Hello all, I'm sure anyone with a gasoline powered tow vehicle and any size travel trailer or 5th wheel has had the stress of pulling off the freeway to get gas and having to do a super rapid assessment of the gas stations to find one you can pull in, get gas and then pull out without getting jammed! The common advice of "just go to a truck stop" doesn't work if you're not diesel powered! I was wondering if anyone's aware of a database of gas stations that have a good gas pump orientation and/or extra room for maneuvering? We're about to take a trip from VA to FL and return on I-95 and such info would be helpful if it's out there!

Thanks,
BV2245
Virginia Beach, Va.
F-250 CC / LB 2wd 6.2Lgas + Keystone Cougar 333MKL

DSL417 11-24-2014 07:24 AM

Recommend you look forward on you iPad or phone with google maps (satellite view); using gas buddy find the station exit, then gale in looking for the station that has pumps parallel to the road as opposed to the normal perpendicular. Not easy, but that's what we've done where the big diesel stops are sparse, and we're going to have to stop and use a regular station.

TDI-Minnie 11-24-2014 08:15 AM

BV,
I understand what you are asking, but especially up and down I95 there is no lack of big gas stations. Personally, I've become a big fan of Love's for gas or fuel. This type of hybrid gas station and truckstop are usually never a problem for fueling, offer oversize parking and food.
Or you could invest one-time in an auxiliary gas tank that might get you over 1000 miles between fuel stops. That way you can limit your stops to rest areas which are easy to deal with.
Just a though.

SmokeyWren 11-24-2014 05:14 PM

Stop at Flying J truckstops and look for the RV island. Most of the big ones on the interstate have RV islands that have both gasoline and diesel pumps on the islands. They are designed for folks with big pickups with gas or diesel engines dragging long RV trailers. Just for you.

Click on this link, then key in a big city on I-95, and check for Pilot/Flying J truck stops within 100 miles plus check the block for "RV Lanes". When I do that for Jacksonville FL, it shows me three locations, including two on I-95, one at Brunswick GA and another one at St Augustine FL.
Pilot Flying J

Note that Pilot merged with Flying J a year or so ago, so they now have a combined website. But thankfully the locator will show you the ones with RV Lanes, and you can bet those will be the Flying J truck stops. :thumb:

StevenNSteph 11-24-2014 06:01 PM

In 17 years of RVing I have only found 2 gas stations I couldn't use. Remember these gas stations are getting their gas from long tanker trucks and they have to be able to maneuver them there.

palehorse89 11-24-2014 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StevenNSteph (Post 2323607)
In 17 years of RVing I have only found 2 gas stations I couldn't use. Remember these gas stations are getting their gas from long tanker trucks and they have to be able to maneuver them there.

From a truck drivers/RV driver's view point.......Semi's dropping a load are not near the pumps/fuel islands when delivering their load........."Most" drop points are out in the open area's of the parking lot...........for delivery trucks.

jacknife 11-24-2014 10:17 PM

As far as l know itis illegal to have aux gas tank in the bed of a pickup too volitile.

96 Wideglide 11-24-2014 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacknife (Post 2323897)
As far as l know itis illegal to have aux gas tank in the bed of a pickup too volitile.

Thats how I get my lawnmower gas home :confused:.

r___r 11-24-2014 11:20 PM

Do you have a Costco membership.

The numerous Costcos that I have seen have long driveways. Just try and use the outermost pumps so you'll have the best maneuvering room.

I'm not familiar with Sam's Club, but, that might be a choice as well.

bjlakatos 11-25-2014 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StevenNSteph (Post 2323607)

X2, we have a 35ft tt + dually w/8ft bed (nearly 55ft overall)

Dasmoeturhead 11-25-2014 11:06 AM

Really? 17 years? Just last month it took us 3 exits to find a station we could get into. Thats happened at least 3 times in 3 months. Either they didn't have diesel, the pumps pumps perpendicular to the store, or not enough clearance under the canopy. Not all of us are blessed with finding a truck stop, pilot, or flying j on our travels. It can be very challenging with a 39 ft 5er with 13'-9" of clearance. Thats the real world not sugar coated.

bv2245 11-25-2014 02:42 PM

Thanks for the great info!

Thanks everyone for the info. Great news regarding the RV lanes at FlyingJ, I will definitely check out their website! I should've realized - people are the source of information I need not a database!!

tuffr2 11-25-2014 04:01 PM

I know what you mean...not sure why the gas pumps face the store so you have to make a sharp turn to get out. I have been blocked by cars parked in front of the gas station store...

Now I have a diesel TV and only stop at truck stops. Oh sure...my personal credit card will not work and I have to walk into the commercial part of the store and walk back, pump the diesel, then walk back into the store to pay.

No easy way to do it...

Campbell5 11-25-2014 04:18 PM

Long Rig Friendly Gas Stations

We did Richmond Virginia to Orlando Florida in March we planned our gas stops exclusively on where Flying J RV lanes were located. There are good choices. Now driving on that pothole stricken interstate 95 a another story altogether.

I'm still fixing stuff that broke loose.