iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   Battery equalization (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/battery-equalization-227745.html)

GA Navigator 11-26-2014 02:20 PM

Battery equalization
 
A friend has a 2005 Fleetwood Excursion and he says the house batteries are getting weak. I mentioned doing an equalization charge cycle as a last resort to possibly get a little more life from them. Do any of you know how to set the charger for the equalization cycle?


1994 Holiday Rambler Navigator
Cummins 8.3
Allison MD3060

GaryKD 11-26-2014 02:28 PM

Hi GA Navigator,
This question might be better posted in the Monaco Owners Forum at Monaco Owner's Forum - iRV2 Forums The answer is very specific to the charging system installed in the coach. HR owners hang out in that forum and should quickly be able to provide guidance.


On edit: Oops, sorry about that. The Fleetwood Owners forum would be a better bet.

GA Navigator 11-26-2014 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryKD (Post 2325592)
Hi GA Navigator,
This question might be better posted in the Monaco Owners Forum at Monaco Owner's Forum - iRV2 Forums The answer is very specific to the charging system installed in the coach. HR owners hang out in that forum and should quickly be able to provide guidance.


Not my unit but maybe I'll try the Fleetwood section.
Thanks.


1994 Holiday Rambler Navigator
Cummins 8.3
Allison MD3060

kenjrhrn 11-26-2014 02:31 PM

Activate Equalizer
 
In my '94 Nav The panal is above the door. Push the SET UP and CHARGE buttons at the same time..:dance:

GA Navigator 11-26-2014 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenjrhrn (Post 2325597)
In my '94 Nav The panal is above the door. Push the SET UP and CHARGE buttons at the same time..:dance:


Yes I know how to do it on my Navigator but I'm trying to help a buddy.


1994 Holiday Rambler Navigator
Cummins 8.3
Allison MD3060

deandec 11-26-2014 03:04 PM

What kind of inverter does he need help with. I have a Heart Freedom 25, 1995 vintage.

GA Navigator 11-26-2014 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deandec (Post 2325635)
What kind of inverter does he need help with. I have a Heart Freedom 25, 1995 vintage.


I'm not sure. I'm trying to find out now. He says he thinks it is a Xantrex.


1994 Holiday Rambler Navigator
Cummins 8.3
Allison MD3060

TQ60 11-26-2014 05:02 PM

If you have a brute force type of stand alone charger they will work if they are larger than 20 amps.

Gas station type work well too.

Just boil them until well done then top off water and trickle a few days.

Do not put anything else in.

Also be sure posts are shiny clean...use a reamer type tool.

CountryFit 11-26-2014 05:09 PM

there are two ways to do it, if his inverter is a heart freedom/xantrex:
1) he will need a 84-2056-01 basic remote. hold setup and charge buttons simultaneously, the equalizing mode will come up. a prerequisite: rig must be on shore power for at least 6 hours.
2) if he has a large solar system, with either outback or midnite controller, there is an equalizing charge mode on the controller he can select. not sure about morning star though.

Mr_D 11-26-2014 05:15 PM

Our Interstate U-2200's lasted one month short of 10 years and were still good enough to go at least overnight.
In 2004 I put 4 oz of mineral oil in each cell.
Over their 10 year life I NEVER ran an equalizing charge on them.

TQ60 11-26-2014 05:20 PM

A 12 volt single battery is 6 cells in series.

Over time one or more may begin to sulfate causing resistance to rise and capacity to fall.

This is normal!

Equalizing is a higher voltage applied resulting in more charging current overall but targeting the cells with the higher resistance as they need the reaction to increase.

Just driving down the road often does this as the alternator is usually a little on the high side.

Doide isolators or small for the load alternators limit this.

CountryFit 11-26-2014 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TQ60 (Post 2325770)
A 12 volt single battery is 6 cells in series.

Over time one or more may begin to sulfate causing resistance to rise and capacity to fall.

This is normal!

Equalizing is a higher voltage applied resulting in more charging current overall but targeting the cells with the higher resistance as they need the reaction to increase.

Just driving down the road often does this as the alternator is usually a little on the high side.

Doide isolators or small for the load alternators limit this.

hmmm... equalizing charge is @15.5v (for my trojan), i am not sure "driving down the road" the alternator regulator is set to that high.

TQ60 11-26-2014 05:35 PM

Usually not but often 14 or so which works as maintenance...

navigator336 11-26-2014 05:59 PM

As mentioned by Countryfit, press and hold the set-up and charge buttons simultaneously for a couple of seconds until the led's start blinking sequentially. You probably already told your friend to fill the cells with distilled water before starting and when the equalization charge is complete. The Xantrex will run an equalization for eight hours (I think and then shut off). The equalization can be terminated manually at any time. Before starting the equalization, it would be good to check the specific gravity of the electrolyte in each cell. You can buy a cheapo hygrometer at any auto parts store for about $5. Once you remove the battery caps it takes about 10 seconds per cell to check. Knowing the specific gravity of each cell beforehand will tell your friend if he has one or more weak cells. After the equalization charge he would then measure the specific gravity again to see if the problem has been corrected and more battery life has been obtained.

Equalizing wet cell batteries frequently is generally a good thing. I think Interstate recommends doing it once a month.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.