iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Entegra Owner's Forum (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/)
-   -   Protective Cover for Induction Cooktop?? (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/protective-cover-for-induction-cooktop-235835.html)

Gary.Jones 02-18-2015 01:10 PM

Protective Cover for Induction Cooktop??

My wife and I am wondering if others have come up with a solution to the vulnerability of the True Induction cooktop to something falling out of a cupboard or out of our hands going into or out of the microwave and cracking/destroying the glass surface of the induction cooktop?? Maybe we are different, but it seems like just a matter of time that something falls on this thing and busts the top. :eek:

We called True Induction and they have nothing to offer. We assumed they would market some hard plastic or thick cloth type of unit that would exactly snap onto the cooktop and serve to protect from this sort of accident, but they have nothing. They have pads to cushion between pots and the glass surface, that is all.

So, anyone else come up with a great idea on how to deal with this problem waiting to happen? :confused:

Gary

slowmachine 02-18-2015 01:16 PM

I would try a silicone baking mat. You could cut it to fit, or overlap a flush-fit cooktop. They do not slide at all on a smooth surface.

Doggy Daddy 02-18-2015 01:22 PM

I use a large plastic cutting board that has non-slick mat on the bottom to protect my burners. It is durable and allows me to use as a counter top when unpacking groceries. To keep it looking nice, I do not use it to cut on.

NITEHAWK 02-18-2015 01:23 PM

How about a piece of Lexan with silver coated bubble wrap glued to one side? Lexan does not shatter/crack easy.

wa8yxm 02-18-2015 01:29 PM

That would be a very tough to crack piece of glass. But as others have suggested a bouncy mat or even a slab of plywood, stained and finished (or other wood) such as a large cutting board... Very good protection.

But it's going to take quite a wack to crack that.

rvbmw1 02-18-2015 01:35 PM

Couldn't you use the cutting board that comes with the Anthem from the top kitchen drawer now? :angel:

DebbieMH 02-18-2015 02:53 PM

Personally ... I don't worry about it. Above the cooktop is the microwave. More than likely taking things in and out of the microwave, you are going to have a pretty good hold on. And I've had a glass cooktop on my S&B for 15 years ... never had a problem. I put groceries on it, milk jugs, you name it, never has scratched or anything else.

MRUSA14 02-18-2015 03:29 PM

Same here.

DeeGee 02-20-2015 06:31 PM

I have had a smooth glass cooktop in the S&B for 10 years and haven't cracked t yet. I wouldn't worry much. If anything, some of the honeycomb foam netting like you use to line tool chests would not slide and would work. Pieces of that make great plate or pan separators for RVs.

wmpbauer 02-20-2015 09:02 PM

DW is thinking about swapping the gas cooktop in our Aspire for the True Induction......we'll still have the fold-back countertop that we got with the gas stove. Covers completely........just sayin!😱

Wmpbauer

Gary.Jones 03-08-2015 02:32 PM

Found a good, cheap solution....

2 Attachment(s)
Apparently most everyone else is not worried about this issue, and maybe I am over-concerned but my wife and I both feel that the glass induction cooktop directly under the microwave and beside the sinks is a problem just waiting to happen..... something heavy is going to fall down on the glass induction cooktop and break/crack the surface.

I had resolved to have a custom black plastic cover made by a local plastic fabrication shop that I have used before when we return home from this trip, but when walking through Wal-Mart buying groceries, we found what we think is a good interim or final solution to the problem. In the area where they had kitchen and entrance door rugs (to wipe your feet on), they also had those thick mats which many people use in their kitchens where they have to stand long periods of time preparing meals. We completely renovated our SB kitchen a few years ago and we added these thick mats where my DW does her prep work and they substantially reduce standing fatigue with a thick cushion to stand on. WalMart had smaller versions of those mats and we bought one that fit our induction cooktop almost exactly. Cost $13.00 Attached are two pictures.

Gary

MRUSA14 03-08-2015 02:51 PM

It may be effective but it's not elegant in my opinion.

DebbieMH 03-08-2015 02:55 PM

I think that will do the trick! If something falls and cracks my electric element, I'll just replace it with an induction ;-)

brobox 03-08-2015 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DebbieMH (Post 2456632)
I think that will do the trick! If something falls and cracks my electric element, I'll just replace it with an induction ;-)

Exactly what I was thinking :D......good excuse to upgrade.