iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Military / Veteran RVing (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f96/)
-   -   VA Information (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f96/va-information-239030.html)

Bilgerat 03-19-2015 11:15 AM

VA Information

I did not know about this until this link posted on Facebook.

VA eliminates net worth as Veteran health care eligibility factor - VAntage PointVAntage Point - US Department of Veterans Affairs‎ -

justlou 03-19-2015 01:24 PM

Good move. I never did understand why your net worth made you any less a Veteran. Now, if they would drop the annual visit requirement, they would free up a lot of appointment time for those that need it.

slowmachine 03-19-2015 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justlou (Post 2471391)
Now, if they would drop the annual visit requirement, they would free up a lot of appointment time for those that need it.

I wouldn't want them to do that. Preventive health care is far less expensive, and far better for maintaining your health, than corrective care. This (without delving into politics) is the whole point of the Affordable Care Act, AKA Obamacare. Some people may never notice a difference in the quality or length of their lives, but on the whole, everyone benefits from regular preventive care. They need to increase access to care, not ration it.

caheath 03-20-2015 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowmachine (Post 2471493)
I wouldn't want them to do that. Preventive health care is far less expensive, and far better for maintaining your health, than corrective care. This (without delving into politics) is the whole point of the Affordable Care Act, AKA Obamacare. Some people may never notice a difference in the quality or length of their lives, but on the whole, everyone benefits from regular preventive care. They need to increase access to care, not ration it.

X2 to this.

Ray,IN 03-22-2015 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilgerat (Post 2471237)
I did not know about this until this link posted on Facebook.

VA eliminates net worth as Veteran health care eligibility factor - VAntage PointVAntage Point - US Department of Veterans Affairs‎ -

Humm, I visited the VA website and opened the pdf of 10-10EZ to print it out since the website says I do not have Adobe to open the online form (I do have Adobe 11). Form 10-10EZ still requires income for applicant, spouse, and dependent children.
Guess I'll visit my local VA clinic this week and try again to apply there. I was denied by VA about 10 years ago because I made too much money. :rolleyes:
Hopefully it's just the website has not been updated yet.
My case is strange. I have a letter of understanding from my battalion Cmdr stating I would not pursue a claim against the government for my line-of-duty back injury (fell from a rappeling tower. Know how embarrassing that is for a drill sergeant?). There is nothing in my medical file to indicate I was ever injured or treated, so the VA will not investigate further.

jrwitt 03-29-2015 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray,IN (Post 2476699)
Humm, I visited the VA website and opened the pdf of 10-10EZ to print it out since the website says I do not have Adobe to open the online form (I do have Adobe 11). Form 10-10EZ still requires income for applicant, spouse, and dependent children.
Guess I'll visit my local VA clinic this week and try again to apply there. I was denied by VA about 10 years ago because I made too much money. :rolleyes:
Hopefully it's just the website has not been updated yet.
My case is strange. I have a letter of understanding from my battalion Cmdr stating I would not pursue a claim against the government for my line-of-duty back injury (fell from a rappeling tower. Know how embarrassing that is for a drill sergeant?). There is nothing in my medical file to indicate I was ever injured or treated, so the VA will not investigate further.

I applied for VA disability which would include eligibility for health care. I first talked to a VA Service Officer. Not sure if all states have VSOs. I live in Colorado. I think they are federal employees and therefore should be available just about anywhere. If you are not familiar with them, call a VFW or American Legion post and ask if they have information on how to contact them. Or maybe you can just goggle the title along with the state your are in. They are very experienced with VA medical claims and will work with you through the whole process. It took me about 4 years to finally be approved. This included appealing the original denial in front of a judge assigned to the VA. Then they called me in for more exams and finally approved my claim (at least part of it). I don't remember at any time even being asked for my income, but not sure. There was a lot of paperwork. KEEP EVERYTHING THEY SEND YOU!! And make sure your VSO has copies. I think the VA sends them the paperwork, but I always emailed my VSO to confirm.

Good luck.
Jack

jdoc 03-29-2015 09:54 PM

They are still going to check your annual income. What they are not including now are your assets.

Jerry

flaggship1 03-29-2015 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdoc (Post 2487244)
They are still going to check your annual income. What they are not including now are your assets.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry.

justlou 03-30-2015 08:32 AM

jrwitt - I applied for VA disability which would include eligibility for health care.

Disability and Health Care are two separate issues and are not tied together anymore. If you are a veteran and meet all of the eligibility criteria, then you shouldn't be denied Health Care through the VA. A disability claim is handled separately and determines if you are eligible for a percentage of disability, not health care.

Texbeachbum 03-30-2015 08:48 AM

Try the Disabled American Vets DAV They will do almost all of for you. They got me 100% service connected disability 14 years after I was discharged. All I did was go to doctors appointments

Stano 04-17-2015 08:38 AM

I'm have been trying to get my 10% disability from A.O. raised to 30%. The local VA office is not much help! Any ideas?

Stano :D

boardpuller 04-17-2015 08:56 AM

I used the VFW, they handled all the paper work, filed for problems I hadnt thought of.
went from 10% to 100%. If you are refused apeal keep the claim open, back pay adds up.

Cooperhawk 04-17-2015 09:07 AM

There are certain disabilities that do not fall under the income, asset dictate. For instance, hearing aids. I have them supplied by the VA due to hearing loss from turbine engines and gunfire. They also gave me a 10% disability even though I didn't ask for it.

Talk to a Rep. My county here in MN. has a paid rep that I used.

Afubar 04-17-2015 09:09 AM

Paralyzed Veterans of America were instrumental in my claim being taken from 10% to 70%. Great people.