iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Navigation, Routes & Roads (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f42/)
-   -   Propane restrictions? (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f42/propane-restrictions-239443.html)

mike reading 03-22-2015 08:50 PM

Propane restrictions?

Being a newbie ( 2 wks old). What are propane road restrictions?

TonyDi 03-22-2015 09:08 PM

:welcome:

Glad to have you here with us.

A few roads but most tunnels do not allow RVs with propane to travel on or thru them. In some places like ferrys you have to turn your propane off to use them.
I hope this answers the question.

Happy Trails!!

dpinvidic 03-22-2015 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike reading (Post 2476443)
Being a newbie ( 2 wks old). What are propane road restrictions?

Sorry, I don't know of any restrictions. However, I always travel with the tank valve turned off.
It would not take much of a collision to create a leak, then it goes down hill fast from that point.
But I am lucky that my fridge runs on electric (inverter).

Dan

dpinvidic 03-22-2015 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyDi (Post 2476471)

A few roads but most tunnels do not allow RVs with propane to travel on or thru them. In some places like ferrys you have to turn your propane off to use them.

Happy Trails!!

What about a CNG powered vehicle? Is the rule for propane specifically, or any compressed flammable gas?
Dan

TonyDi 03-22-2015 09:22 PM

Cars using LPG are exempt from the restriction if the system was factory installed. A conversion would have restrictions.

Murf2u 03-23-2015 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpinvidic (Post 2476475)
Sorry, I don't know of any restrictions. However, I always travel with the tank valve turned off.

It would not take much of a collision to create a leak, then it goes down hill fast from that point.

But I am lucky that my fridge runs on electric (inverter).

Dan

No issue there at all, every vehicle mounted propane tank is required by law to be equipped with a hydrostatic valve, if the flow of propane exceeds what the system is designed for (total BTU's of everything on board) the valve stops the flow of gas at the tank.

The only way a collision can light the gas off is too much heat from a fire or puncturing the tank, in either case the valve on or off would make zero difference.

wa8yxm 03-23-2015 07:27 AM

Even too much heat is not that big an issue... The tank is designed to vent if that happens so the "Fire" is not all that big.

A puncture would be serious. but again is not that easy to do

The scene in NCIS where Gibbs double tapps (Shoots twice) the propane tanks and blows up the RV....Not possible..that was explosives set off by the FX man.

nothermark 03-23-2015 07:50 AM

FWIW I'm not sure there are too many tunnels that worry about more than turning off the tank. For instance I know Baltimore has a couple of tunnels that ban propane but the Chesapeake Bridge Tunnel system just says to turn it off. The ferries I used in VA and NC never asked but they were on deck loads so ventilation was not a problem. The point really is to be aware and check the web site of any tunnels you might be using. You also want to verify clearances and maybe check the toll rates. ;-)

jimcumminsw 03-23-2015 08:49 AM

I have a Rand McNally GPS for the trailer when I tow it. The only time I have had any issues with carrying propane was last fall in MA. The GPS stated that some of the interstate would not allow the trailer with propane tanks in the trailer; such as I95 in the Boston area. I was routed around Boston on the I495 which was a longer route to ME but I could run the propane for the refrigerator.

Jim W.

wa8yxm 03-23-2015 03:00 PM

One tunnel I drive around (I have no reason to drive through though some day...I might,, With just the towed) The signs saying "NO propane Allowed" (And other restrictions as well) Start a good 20 miles before the turn off to go THROUGH the tunnel. I might add there is a very easy Drive Around (Which I take). Most of the restricted places are like that... Only one was I ever caught by surprise and they did not object to my 20 pounder.

Ray,IN 03-24-2015 09:11 PM

When I'm in a big city area I follow the Hazardous Cargo route that is posted by signage with a large HC directing vehicles with hazardous cargo which route to use. I've never had a problem following that signage.

JiminJersey 03-24-2015 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wa8yxm (Post 2477537)
One tunnel I drive around (I have no reason to drive through though some day...I might,, With just the towed) The signs saying "NO propane Allowed" (And other restrictions as well) Start a good 20 miles before the turn off to go THROUGH the tunnel. I might add there is a very easy Drive Around (Which I take). Most of the restricted places are like that... Only one was I ever caught by surprise and they did not object to my 20 pounder.

So why don't you tell everyone where this place is? It does the OP no good whatsoever to describe as you did, and then not tell him/her where it is... :banghead:

ChrisKW 03-24-2015 10:35 PM

The highway tunnel under the harbor near Norfolk may still require RV's to stop and be inspected prior to entering the tunnel. In my case, this was a few years back when we had our travel trailer, and they required I turn the tank valves off (two tanks) and disconnect the lines to those tanks.

Chris & Deb - North Venice, FL - 2014 Itasca Ellipse 42QD - Toad: 2014 Jeep Rubicon

chief02 03-24-2015 10:42 PM

The FMCSA/DOT HC & HM rules only apply to CMV's transporting HC or HM in commerce, not comsumer commodity quantities

Mr_D 03-24-2015 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyDi (Post 2476471)

Happy Trails!!

Been RV'ing since 1957 have never yet run into a propane restriction other than ferry's.

JiminJersey 03-25-2015 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_D (Post 2479781)
Been RV'ing since 1957 have never yet run into a propane restriction other than ferry's.

That may be because you haven't been near Baltimore, MD. The I-895 Harbor Tunnel prohibits bottled propane in larger than 10 pound canisters, as does the I-95 Fort McHenry. You must take the I-695 alternates. The Chesapeake Bay-Bridge Tunnel requires you to Turn Off the bottle(s). Many other tunnels in the east are similar. Been on the Cape May-Lewes ferry a bunch of times, they have no restrictions that I'm aware of, as of 2013. Best bet is to simply Google or visit web page of the authority that runs the operation.

DebnDan 03-25-2015 06:55 AM

Here in the NY Metro Area propane is also restricted on the lower level of bridges ie. George Washington and Varanzano. A more detailed list for all states can be found at the Good Sam Site.

Dan Callahan, North Jersey
2008 Fleetwood Excursion 40E
Freightliner, Cummins, Allison
It's not the Destination or the Journey
It's the Excursion