iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   SCA Filter or No, that is the question?? (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/sca-filter-or-no-that-is-the-question-242063.html)

John Howard 04-12-2015 06:08 PM

SCA Filter or No, that is the question??

Just looking to tap some expertise on whether or not the 2009 Tiffin Phaeton 36' (QSH) (Cummings 8.3L) has a SCA Filter installed? If so, where is it located on the rig? I don't have a number to Freightliner to ask them, so thought I would ask folks on this forum.

I am planning to flush the engine coolant system and going to install Fleetguard's ES Compleat OAT Coolant. If an SCA Filter is installed, I need to locate the part number for the SCA (blank) Filter and the filter itself, and change it out after I flush the system about three time with Restore and Restore Plus and distilled water.

Many thanks in advance for any help you may provide;

John Howard

Spk64 04-12-2015 06:10 PM

If it is like my ISL 400 it is on the drivers side of the engine below the turbo. There is a valve on top that is used to turn off the lines then remove the filter.

Spk64 04-12-2015 06:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spk64 (Post 2509065)
If it is like my ISL 400 it is on the drivers side of the engine below the turbo. There is a valve on top that is used to turn off the lines then remove the filter.

Here is a picture of mine. Short filter is the water filter. Valve is on top left side of picture
Attachment 91294

H. Miller 04-13-2015 04:39 AM

On our '04 Cummins 8.3 it is the screw on filter just in front of the oil filter. (street side of engine)

John Howard 04-13-2015 05:22 AM

Thanks for the speedy responses

Wow! That was fast, and with a picture as well. I should be able to locate the filter now and change it out.

Again, thank you all very much for your assistance.

John Howard

Spk64 04-13-2015 06:43 AM

Might want to sign up on cummins quickserve site. Enter SN of your engine and all the manuals parts etc are at your disposal.
Quickserve.cummins.com

jacwjames 04-13-2015 07:17 AM

You may want to do some research on which filter to install if you are changing coolant type.

My ISC350 uses an precharged SCA filter for the cooling system, there are different levels of charge to maintain the correct formulation based on testing. I believe the recommendation is to that the filter be changed 2X per year.

There was a recent post on the Monaco forum regarding coolant change, one of the posters provided a PDF copy of a Cummins presentation regarding cooling system maintenance.

They also say that the coolant doesn't have to be changed until it tests bad. I just took a sample of my coolant and will sent to JG Lubrication for analysis and decide if I will change mine.

mccrob 04-13-2015 09:20 AM

I have never seen a ISL 400 with a coolant filter. Seems Cummings didn't see the need for one

Spk64 04-13-2015 09:31 AM

Mine is a 2002 model ISL400 above picture is the coolant filter. Changed it out this spring.
Later models may not have it.

BobGed 04-13-2015 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Howard (Post 2509061)
Just looking to tap some expertise on whether or not the 2009 Tiffin Phaeton 36' (QSH) (Cummings 8.3L) has a SCA Filter installed? If so, where is it located on the rig? I don't have a number to Freightliner to ask them, so thought I would ask folks on this forum.

I am planning to flush the engine coolant system and going to install Fleetguard's ES Compleat OAT Coolant. If an SCA Filter is installed, I need to locate the part number for the SCA (blank) Filter and the filter itself, and change it out after I flush the system about three time with Restore and Restore Plus and distilled water.

Many thanks in advance for any help you may provide;

John Howard

My 2009 Tiffin Phaeton does not have a SCA filter, but of course as you know, no two Tiffins are never exactly the same. ;)

Gary RVRoamer 04-13-2015 10:23 AM

Quote:

I have never seen a ISL 400 with a coolant filter.
My 2004 coach (with a late 2003 ISL engine) has one as well. I think the availability of longer lasting coolants made this a less valuable feature.