iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class C Motorhome Discussions (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f87/)
-   -   So disappointed need help (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f87/so-disappointed-need-help-243038.html)

Mystictravel 04-20-2015 12:41 PM

So disappointed need help

This is our second trip in our coach 2009 Coachman Freelander 3500 diesel 15000 miles we purchased in Dec. What a nightmare we lost all genny power with the start up once we set up camp breakers good fuses good shore cord plugged in to the coach 30 amp receptacle. No power and we were at a primitive site .I could not find a transfer switch would not have mattered anyway no where to get a new one. Then on the way home we lost engine power went into limp mode 5 times without setting a code or check eng light. We were 10 miles from home when it did it's thing again and then a check eng light came on. The eng will rev to 3000rpm and that's it 40mph max pull over stop eng restart everything fine .What an awful feeling to have I called Lazy Days and well you know the story it's yours fix it. They had the coach for 6 weeks after we bought for a brake noise I'm afraid to take it back. Just venting very disappointed to have problems already any ideas.

Mich F 04-20-2015 01:35 PM

I believe there have been a number of threads on those engines going into limp mode.
I'd suggest you forget about Lazy Days for engine work, and find a shop to work on your MB engine. Find a shop qualified to fix your generator issues as well. Good luck.

mel s 04-20-2015 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystictravel (Post 2520400)
This is our second trip in our coach 2009 Coachman Freelander 3500 diesel 15000 miles we purchased in Dec. What a nightmare we lost all genny power with the start up once we set up camp breakers good fuses good shore cord plugged in to the coach 30 amp receptacle. No power and we were at a primitive site .I could not find a transfer switch would not have mattered anyway no where to get a new one. Then on the way home we lost engine power went into limp mode 5 times without setting a code or check eng light. We were 10 miles from home when it did it's thing again and then a check eng light came on. The eng will rev to 3000 rpm and that's it 40mph max pull over stop eng restart everything fine .What an awful feeling to have I called Lazy Days and well you know the story it's yours fix it. They had the coach for 6 weeks after we bought for a brake noise I'm afraid to take it back. Just venting very disappointed to have problems already any ideas.

Mystictravel
What diesel engine do you have?
The maximum RPM of my 250hp Cat 3126 diesel engine, (as controlled by the governor), is 2500 RPM.
Mel
'96 Safari

Timberdog 04-21-2015 02:56 PM

I can't speak on why you have no power to your coach other than to check your breakers. If you have the MB 3.0 litre turbo diesel I can offer some advice. When was the last time the fuel filter was changed? They are good for about 10000 miles. They are easy to change. It could be the EGR valve also and those are not cheap, but at 15K I doubt it's bad.

Timberdog 04-21-2015 03:07 PM

One other thing on your generator. I have a 2009 Coachmen Prism which is similar to yours. I know with my generator I need to turn off the main breaker inside and then start the generator. I let it run for about two minutes and then I plug my shore power cord into the receptacle that that is on the outside that powers everything. Once that is done I flip the main breaker and wait for the microwave to beep letting me know I have power. There is also a breaker on the generator, check to make sure it is in the on position when your using it. I have the LP cummins onan.

Timberdog 04-21-2015 03:08 PM

One more thing on brake noise, if your front brakes squeal occasionally this is normal for Sprinter disc brakes. Embarrassing but normal.

datrbone8 04-21-2015 03:10 PM

I was going to suggest fuel filter as well

Mystictravel 04-21-2015 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timberdog (Post 2522171)
One more thing on brake noise, if your front brakes squeal occasionally this is normal for Sprinter disc brakes. Embarrassing but normal.

They squeal so load not funny.

Mystictravel 04-21-2015 08:10 PM

update

Ok guys so I am told that my generator does not have a transfer switch. The tech that came out says that it is a Generac system and my unit does not have one. I am going to call Coachman tomorrow and hope they can give me some direction. He is also telling me that because it does not have one the power has no where to go when something goes wrong. He has diagnosed the issue as a bad gfi in the bathroom and a weak breaker on the generator something I am having a hard time swallowing. He has 35 years experience and came recommended. He also says that because the system is set up this way it will cause the eng to go into limp mode also questionable. I guess I will see what happens and keep you updated he also has mentioned that the Generac systems are not of very good quality don't know my first one I feel a little smoke being blown my way but for now will see what happens.

Mystictravel 04-21-2015 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timberdog (Post 2522168)
One other thing on your generator. I have a 2009 Coachmen Prism which is similar to yours. I know with my generator I need to turn off the main breaker inside and then start the generator. I let it run for about two minutes and then I plug my shore power cord into the receptacle that that is on the outside that powers everything. Once that is done I flip the main breaker and wait for the microwave to beep letting me know I have power. There is also a breaker on the generator, check to make sure it is in the on position when your using it. I have the LP cummins onan.

so do you run the genny while driving ?

jason1029 04-21-2015 09:32 PM

So sorry about your troubles. I am sure along with myself and many others here we have run the gamut on all kinds of issues related to engines and the coach itself.

My advise is to take a deep breath step away from it for a day and come go back to it a little more relaxed.

So much great information here on helping you troubleshoot your issues along with other sites. Once you get a few ideas start checking on them one by one.

I myself have been working on an engine issue since last summer and over the winter months have come up with a couple great ideas to check with advice from here in the forums.

Good luck!! Stay positive!

Mr_D 04-21-2015 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystictravel (Post 2522591)

Lots of people do.

mel s 04-22-2015 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystictravel (Post 2522589)
Ok guys so I am told that my generator does not have a transfer switch. The tech that came out says that it is a Generac system and my unit does not have one. I am going to call Coachman tomorrow and hope they can give me some direction. He is also telling me that because it does not have one the power has no where to go when something goes wrong. He has diagnosed the issue as a bad gfi in the bathroom and a weak breaker on the generator something I am having a hard time swallowing. He has 35 years experience and came recommended. He also says that because the system is set up this way it will cause the eng to go into limp mode also questionable. I guess I will see what happens and keep you updated he also has mentioned that the Generac systems are not of very good quality don't know my first one I feel a little smoke being blown my way but for now will see what happens.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystictravel (Post 2522591)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_D (Post 2522757)
Lots of people do.

Mystictravel
RV generators DO NOT have a transfer switch.... but most, (not all), RVs DO.
The engine of a RV is NOT dependent on the 120V generator.
Whether your coach has a transfer switch or not WILL NOT effect the performance of the engine.

I suggest that you:
1.) Learn out how the 120V system in your coach is supposed to work.
2.) Replace the "bad gfi in the bathroom" and the "weak breaker on the generator".
3.) Work on your 2nd problem...(the engine limp mode).

Mel
'96 Safari

vanbuskirk 04-22-2015 07:44 AM

I am certainly not an expert but we also had the "limp mode" experience. Just an FYI...there are typically two fuel filters on a diesel coach. Replace the easy one first and see how that works and if your problems persist...replace the one they refer to as the banana filter of which sometimes is hidden and not as easy to replace.

Again...I am only the DW so my pardon my lack of terminology!