iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   MH-General Discussions & Problems (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/)
-   -   Cargo Door replacement (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/cargo-door-replacement-24335.html)

Darrell & Mel 05-21-2007 03:28 PM

Hello all. I have a question about the cargo bay doors on my '99 Damon Intruder. Many of the basement doors on my coach have the gas cylinder mount torn out of the door. It also appears that the inside material that the door is made of is rotted. What is the normal way to repair these doors? Or can I buy new doors to replace these old ones? Has anyone experienced this same problem?

Darrell & Mel 05-21-2007 03:28 PM

Hello all. I have a question about the cargo bay doors on my '99 Damon Intruder. Many of the basement doors on my coach have the gas cylinder mount torn out of the door. It also appears that the inside material that the door is made of is rotted. What is the normal way to repair these doors? Or can I buy new doors to replace these old ones? Has anyone experienced this same problem?

Hitchhiker 05-21-2007 03:54 PM

Try a search in Ebay Motors using "rv compartment door", there's a bunch of them for sale of various sizes and configurations.

Gary RVRoamer 05-21-2007 08:27 PM

Often the door is a made of an inner and outer shell with a sandwich of filler in between. You may be able to pry the two skins apart and replace the inner material, or at least reinforce the area where the struts attach.

As an alternative, consider mounting a flat metal plate several square inches in size over the inside where the struts have pulled out. Glue and screw the plates on, then mount the struts to the metal plate. The plate spreads the load over a wider area. This technique works if the old strut mount screws have pulled out but the rest of the inner filler is fairly sound.

Matt B 05-22-2007 03:44 AM

On my 97 the inner core of the cargo doors is styrofoam. I don't think it rots but, it may delaminate. If that's the case you may be able to inject some glue and make up a clamping rig to hold it together until the glue sets.

Bob (WA0MQE) 05-22-2007 04:24 AM

I agree with RV Roamer. You need a larger stronger surface to screw the brackets into. On my past moho, which was also a Damon, I noticed the same thing with the way they mounted the brackets to the inside of the doors. They were just screwed into the fiberglass door material. There was no backing of any kind. You'd think they'd at least inserted a hardwood block or something. If you get the right type of glue and screw combination you will have a lasting fix.

J Walker 05-23-2007 04:01 AM

I have been through the same issue. My solution was to mount wood where the gas cylinders mount to the door. To fix the cause I caulked the doors thoroughly. That included the outside joints and the tops and sides. Drilling holes in the bottom is a good idea because it allows water to escape. I have had no further problems for several years. The design is poor and all metal doors is the way to go.