iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Toy Haulers Discussion (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f49/)
-   -   Advice on toy hauler purchase (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f49/advice-on-toy-hauler-purchase-248174.html)

Jackiebeth 05-29-2015 12:01 PM

Advice on toy hauler purchase

We are in the market for a toy hauler for the first time (have had several fifth wheel and tow behind units). We have narrowed our search to Grand Design Momentum, Dutchmen Voltage, and Keystone Raptor. We participate in reenactments and need to haul costumes, guns, and a mobility scooter. We are always dry camped in the woods or a field. Does anyone have advice on the most reliable of the three?:rolleyes:

Namlehse 05-29-2015 02:31 PM

We looked at all the toy haulers, landed on the 385TH as our choice. A lot of them are built more or less the same, with the same parts, GD just has the best factory support.

Runner up was a toss up with Raptor and XLR Thunderbolt. XLR seemed to have better factory support than Raptor, but the Raptor had the floor plans my wife liked more. I also like the Mor Ryde parts on the Raptor.

Voltage, we just couldn't like... They seemed way over priced. Even the V line was in the same price line as the high end momentum, without even the features of the M class!! No Led's, really? Non-ducted front AC?! For $100,000 MSRP?!.. But I digress.

Grand Design just seemed like the clear winner for us. My choice would have been the 328M, I really liked the size, tank sizes, build for the price, and a pretty good sized garage to boot.

In the end, we (Read Wife) decided the 385TH was the one for us. You can still find the 355TH for dirt cheap if you don't need the second restroom. It was my favorite of the floor plans.

Cane 05-29-2015 05:58 PM

We are also looking at toy haulers, and love the Grand Design the best so far. We have looked at Jayco, Forest River, Heartland, and a few others that I remember. The Heartland Edge is probably our runner up, but doesn't really come close for us.

I am really interested in the Evergreen Tesla, but haven't seen one in person yet.

Mike

Namlehse 05-29-2015 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cane (Post 2578458)
I am really interested in the Evergreen Tesla, but haven't seen one in person yet.

Mike

That's about the only one we haven't seen yet, they seem pretty rare.

mark42h 05-30-2015 11:14 AM

We are also looking at Toy haulers, my wife, daughter and I will spend 2 years living in it full time.

So I have spent the last four months studying, looking and asking everyone we could advice about best manufacturing. There is a great deal of information to learn and digest. Hours also spent traveling to different dealerships looking at the different models.

We finally picked the Forest Rivers XLR brand. The XLR Thunderbolt 420amp will be delivered June 15th time frame.

Grand Design did not have the floor plan we where looking for our family. The XLR brand is the only full time dedicated lines only manufacturing Toy Haulers. That is a big deal in my option. Consistency in manufacturing normally provides great quality. The XLR Thunderbolt seems to be a very good product. We will find out in a couple of weeks : )

Cane 05-30-2015 05:35 PM

The XLR looks pretty nice, I'll have track one down.

Scottybdivin 05-30-2015 05:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
We traded our Cyclone 4100 for our current DP. Had it for 3 years with minimal problems. It had an industry 1st King size bed and was a residential King. The bathroom was huge with a sunken tub/shower, and dual doorways. My only complaint was we couldn't access the fridge with the slides in. We already miss the garage and the patio. We carried a full size Weber gas grill in the garage and cooked for as many as 30 people out on that patio. Used the garage as a buffet room. Good luck on your search

taken 05-30-2015 07:30 PM

Another vote for XLR Thunderbolt. The factory support after the sale is second to none. Their standards and options are more expansive than most other lines too. Plus, they will do customizations from the factory. I asked Voltage about adding one off list option, a LP quick connect for our grill, and their sales rep told me they were just to big and busy to handle special requests. XLR did five off list options for me and would have done more... and were happy to do them. One was painting the rig a custom color to match my truck... Also, when you shop, remember MSRP is total nonsense. We got 36% off the fake MSRP with no haggle on a special order rig.

Cane 05-31-2015 09:48 AM

So is it safe to assume 35% off the discounted MSRP? Is it better to assume 35% off the initial MSRP?

taken 05-31-2015 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cane (Post 2580965)
So is it safe to assume 35% off the discounted MSRP? Is it better to assume 35% off the initial MSRP?

There is no discounted MSRP. The MSRP is what it is. It's artificially inflated from the manufacturer but it's the only one there is. So, figure 35% minimum off that number. Maybe more on an in stock rig that they are trying to move... last years model etc...

andyq 06-01-2015 01:25 PM

Looking to upgrade to a larger 5th wheel. What size trucks are you all pulling these big trailers with?

taken 06-01-2015 01:32 PM

Mines in my signature line. 2012 F350 single rear wheel, short bed, super cab, 6.7 diesel.

Namlehse 06-01-2015 02:01 PM

Mine's in my sig too, way overkill, but I wanted to much rather than to little truck.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8778/1...daf19978_c.jpg

F350TH 06-01-2015 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cane (Post 2578458)
We are also looking at toy haulers, and love the Grand Design the best so far. We have looked at Jayco, Forest River, Heartland, and a few others that I remember. The Heartland Edge is probably our runner up, but doesn't really come close for us.

Mike

Quote:

Originally Posted by Namlehse (Post 2578536)
That's about the only one we haven't seen yet, they seem pretty rare.

We have a dealer here in MN the has them and we really liked them. Nicest of the ones we looked at, and really well built. But they were out of our budget...