iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Tiffin Owner's Forum (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f106/)
-   -   2000 Allegro Bus Repair Quotes (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f106/2000-allegro-bus-repair-quotes-264216.html)

mikemac3 09-22-2015 08:10 PM

2000 Allegro Bus Repair Quotes

Just received word on the cost of repairs for my 40Ft 2000 Allegro Bus.

Roof--recommended complete replacement...$14,000. Said they could just seal it for $2,800. They say this would just be a bandaid. Said wood, etc. should be replaced when rubber was refitted...mentioned this being a 100 hour job. There are no leaks or signs of leaks. I know sealant is very pricy per gallon....but really?

Norcold--said needs to be replaced...power was on but does not cool. $3,800. Might do residential fridge...

HWH jacks struggle or do not come up unless I put wood under and depress "dump" on switch (and repeat). Recommended new springs. Will new springs really be able to replicate the force that the weight of the MH has used to retract jacks? Another place said this might be a solenoid issue...

Batteries--said they tested all and all need to be replaced. I drove this coach for 3 weeks from Florida to Seattle and did not have an issue with batteries.

Should I look for a second opinion or complete a few of these repairs? Or should I move on and sell this coach? This is a airstream dealer and generic service center.

Thanks for the help!

Mike

okie143 09-22-2015 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikemac3 (Post 2755233)
Just received word on the cost of repairs for my 40Ft 2000 Allegro Bus.

Roof--recommended complete replacement...$14,000. Said they could just seal it for $2,800. They say this would just be a bandaid. Said wood, etc. should be replaced when rubber was refitted...mentioned this being a 100 hour job. There are no leaks or signs of leaks. I know sealant is very pricy per gallon....but really?

Norcold--said needs to be replaced...power was on but does not cool. $3,800. Might do residential fridge...

HWH jacks struggle or do not come up unless I put wood under and depress "dump" on switch (and repeat). Recommended new springs. Will new springs really be able to replicate the force that the weight of the MH has used to retract jacks? Another place said this might be a solenoid issue...

Batteries--said they tested all and all need to be replaced. I drove this coach for 3 weeks from Florida to Seattle and did not have an issue with batteries.

Should I look for a second opinion or complete a few of these repairs? Yes and Yes
Or should I move on and sell this coach? This is a airstream dealer and generic service center.

Thanks for the help!

Mike

I would get several estimates because 14,000 for a roof replacement is way out of range. They remove the air conditioners, antenna, vent covers, termination strips, etc., then peel the old roof off, remove/replace the thin plywood, and glue your new rubber roof down. Replace the things they took off. 100 hrs / 8 hrs a day equals 12.5 days. They should be able to get the roof done in 5 days.

So yes get other estimates as that is way high on the roof replacement.

Also the HWH jacks, did you clean the cyclinders? I had the same problem as you are having and I sprayed wd40, heavily up into the bottom of the jack, wiped off the excess, extended the jack, sprayed again, took a screwdriver and rag to clean out the bottom of the cyclinder, sprayed again, wiped again, retracted the jack and it works fine now. You might have to do it 5 or 6 times if they haven't been cleaned in awhile.

Hope this helps.

okie143 09-22-2015 09:27 PM

Oh forgot the batteries. How old are they? You can check the water level as well and fill with distilled water only, then recharge. But if the batteries are over 4 years old I would replace, but that is just me. I don't want to be in the middle of no where sitting beside an interstate highway with dead batteries.

jfran304 09-22-2015 09:42 PM

RV Roof Sprayed Sealant will apply a coating to your roof that is guaranteed for the life of the coach. For my 35' coach they quoted me a price of $5,260.00 plus tax. They say they will start work on it on a Monday and you will have it back by Wednesday by 2 PM.

A lot of folks are replacing their Norcolds with residential refrigerators.

Wether your coach is worth investing the money in depends on how you like it and how long you plan on keeping it.

Jon