iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Fleetwood Owner's Forum (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/)
-   -   American Coach: Slide Cover Question (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/slide-cover-question-274431.html)

SAWTELLE 12-28-2015 02:35 PM

Slide Cover Question

We have a 2015 Revolution, and when bringing in the full wall slide after a rain water runs down the slide wall behind the drivers seat. Last time this happened it was a small waterfall! I don't see a drain on the outside of the slide and wondered if anyone else has had this problem or can suggest a fix. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Tha_Rooster 12-28-2015 03:23 PM

My FWS has a frame underneath that holds up the topper from pooling water. Do you have a hole or tear in your topper allowing water to collect on top of slide.

SAWTELLE 12-28-2015 04:31 PM

Good thought-we'll check that right away. Thanks, can't believe we should have so much water coming in, never had with others MHs including a Pace Arrow with a full slide.

Cat320 12-28-2015 05:12 PM

That should not be happening, call the AC tech line they are very helpful: 800-435-7345.

Durango382 12-29-2015 12:23 AM

I have a FWS on my 2014 American Coach, and although the slide topper doesn't leak water, dependent upon the angle of rainfall the slidebox can accumulate water coming in between the underside of the topper and the top of the box. And of course, the roof of the slidebox isn't perfectly flat, so water can puddle at times in the middle, which sometimes means it will run down the outer slide wall when the slide is brought in.
To prevent or minimize this, I do a couple things. One, before bringing in the slide I manually lower the front or back (both sides in unison) of the coach and let as much water run off it, before returning it to level to bring the slide in. Then, I bring the slide in four or five inches at a time, resting a few seconds at each stop to let the water the wiper has pushed out to run off OUTSIDE before bringing the slide in another four or five inches.
And after all this, just to be sure I don't get that cold water running down my back when I stop at the first stop sign after bringing in all the slides and getting underway, I place a rolled up towel on top of the slide once in, spanning the depth of the slidebox. Just be sure to remove the towel when bringing the slide out the next time. (never been an issue for me as I take it down after a few hours of stopping while driving, and ready it for washing/drying to be used the next time)
Brian

SAWTELLE 12-29-2015 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Durango382 (Post 2879034)
I have a FWS on my 2014 American Coach, and although the slide topper doesn't leak water, dependent upon the angle of rainfall the slidebox can accumulate water coming in between the underside of the topper and the top of the box. And of course, the roof of the slidebox isn't perfectly flat, so water can puddle at times in the middle, which sometimes means it will run down the outer slide wall when the slide is brought in.

To prevent or minimize this, I do a couple things. One, before bringing in the slide I manually lower the front or back (both sides in unison) of the coach and let as much water run off it, before returning it to level to bring the slide in. Then, I bring the slide in four or five inches at a time, resting a few seconds at each stop to let the water the wiper has pushed out to run off OUTSIDE before bringing the slide in another four or five inches.

And after all this, just to be sure I don't get that cold water running down my back when I stop at the first stop sign after bringing in all the slides and getting underway, I place a rolled up towel on top of the slide once in, spanning the depth of the slidebox. Just be sure to remove the towel when bringing the slide out the next time. (never been an issue for me as I take it down after a few hours of stopping while driving, and ready it for washing/drying to be used the next time)

Brian

Brian, Rooster mentioned a frame underneath to support the topper-do you something like that on yours? Currently our coach is at Tom Johnson getting a few things done :(, and we've asked them to check for a tear or hole. We spoke with AC, and they indicated there may be a little water if blowing rain, but not what we're getting. They also suggested what you do with the jacks.

chuckster52 12-29-2015 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Durango382 (Post 2879034)
Brian

Brian, we have a 2012 American Tradition and get that same "waterfall"..and a friend of ours has an 2011 Eagle and AC told them nothing can be done
we just contributed it to poor Quality of Workmanship....
but my Question is
Can you lower the Front or Back....if you are using the jacks to level the coach??

Thanks,Chuck

Gary RVRoamer 12-29-2015 11:16 AM

The topper cannot keep all the water off the slide roof, nor is it intended to. There are wipers and seals on the top and sides that are intended to brush off any water that is on it, so you may have some defect there that allows the water to get by easily. Definitely have it checked. However, it is still likely that some will get by at times - I know ours does once in a while. If it's been raining, especially wind driven rain, we alter the level of the coach to help the water run off the ends rather than risk bringing it inside.

Tha_Rooster 12-29-2015 04:54 PM

I get next to (0) water on my FWS the only thing that is wet is the ends of the slide and not much the wipes do a good job.

Cat320 12-29-2015 05:36 PM

In our last coach, also an AC, there was always standing water in the slide toppers after a rain. I would climb up on the roof and sweep it off prior to retracting the slides.

Durango382 12-31-2015 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAWTELLE (Post 2879433)
Brian, Rooster mentioned a frame underneath to support the topper-do you something like that on yours? Currently our coach is at Tom Johnson getting a few things done :(, and we've asked them to check for a tear or hole. We spoke with AC, and they indicated there may be a little water if blowing rain, but not what we're getting. They also suggested what you do with the jacks.

My topper doesn't have the frame, although I've seen those. The frame helps (or is supposed to help) reduce the water that pools on the topper, but that is a separate issue from water on the slidebox coming inside when bringing the slide in...

Durango382 12-31-2015 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuckster52 (Post 2879454)
Brian, we have a 2012 American Tradition and get that same "waterfall"..and a friend of ours has an 2011 Eagle and AC told them nothing can be done
we just contributed it to poor Quality of Workmanship....
but my Question is
Can you lower the Front or Back....if you are using the jacks to level the coach??

Thanks,Chuck

Not sure I understand why that would be a poor workmanship issue - it's just the design of the slidebox. Maybe more of a slope (more than the one inch they have) to the outside would help - but there might be other issues with that, i.e., sealing when the slide is in.
If you want the best slidebox in the industry (not counting a Prevost), get a Newell or Foretravel - they can be put in any one of many positions part-way in/out, and still seal out water. And they have a great wiper to take the water off. But that's a whole different design - and it costs a lot more. It's all about value for the money...
The industry's changing - it's been more than a decade where Fleetwood and the now-REV coaches have been using essentially the same design slidebox...it's economical and is a proven design (with some minor issues) - but I wouldn't be surprised to see some changes in the near future.
(I should add - IMHO!)

Durango382 12-31-2015 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer (Post 2879482)
The topper cannot keep all the water off the slide roof, nor is it intended to. There are wipers and seals on the top and sides that are intended to brush off any water that is on it, so you may have some defect there that allows the water to get by easily. Definitely have it checked. However, it is still likely that some will get by at times - I know ours does once in a while. If it's been raining, especially wind driven rain, we alter the level of the coach to help the water run off the ends rather than risk bringing it inside.

Just occurred to me (thanks Gary for sparking the brain) that some models of FWS's use a slightly different combination bulb-and-wiper seal on the top of the slide than they do on the ends - and the top seal has a slightly "longer" seal. If the OP's coach was supposed to have the "longer" wiper seal and instead got the same seal as on the ends, that might explain why a lot of water is getting past it...(as an example, when I've purchased that seal from ARGRV [Rev] parts, they once gave me the wrong "length" wiper seal - easy mistake if the rolls are close)

Durango382 12-31-2015 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cat320 (Post 2880044)
In our last coach, also an AC, there was always standing water in the slide toppers after a rain. I would climb up on the roof and sweep it off prior to retracting the slides.

Separate issue from water "standing" (collecting) on the slidebox top - although important too! I do the same, but keep thinking at some point my knees are not going to cooperate with me climbing up on the roof to sweep the water pooled (standing, collecting) on the topper, off. I can't believe someone hasn't marketed a squeegee-type device on a pole with a 90 deg elbow that can be used from the ground walking alongside, to push the water off. I have a rudimentary one I kluged from other things, but I know someone should be able to make a nice one...