iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   MH-General Discussions & Problems (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/)
-   -   RV Cover Problem.... Oh No! (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/rv-cover-problem-oh-no-274579.html)

CARVAL Motorsports 12-29-2015 04:07 PM

RV Cover Problem.... Oh No!

2 Attachment(s)
OK, here is the situation. Missed getting our 97 Dolphin into the storage mine in Wampum PA. Nothing else to find for indoor storage. Decided it must stay home in driveway. Bought a very nice Rip-Stop, waterproof cover for the winter ($$). Everything went to plan, covered and snugged down. It has been very mild here in NE Ohio, no snow or ice yet. However, rain has been pretty stout as of late, and that's when I noticed the LAKE forming within the rear luggage rack that unfortunately makes a perfect square around the perimeter of the last 6 or so feet of the RV, with the bedroom vent dead center. (Yes, I am pissed that I did not foresee this happening and fill the void with something:facepalm:) The water raised up to the top of the rack, about 4-5 inches. Good news, obviously the cover IS waterproof.
Tonight, I got inside and raised the rear with the lifts and was able to get some water out, but not all, and it is just the beginning of bad weather. I also would not want to leave the RV jacked or cocked for the whole winter. (Was also concerned about a cold windshield doing something that would spoil the rest of my winter :eek:)

My question, with all the expert knowledge out there, should I be worried about the freeze/thaw/freeze/thaw cycle atop that portion of the roof. It is a rubber roof. I am a bit concerned about the sealant around the roof vent, and that giving way to damage from the ice/freeze. I guess, if the cover remains waterproof and sealed, nothing should happen, but I am more than a bit concerned. Opinions????

spider13 12-29-2015 04:23 PM

How about a truck inner tube under the cover around the vent.?

Brockx 12-29-2015 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spider13 (Post 2880020)
How about a truck inner tube under the cover around the vent.?

:thumb: X2 my thought exactly with a piece of plywood to keep the center from sagging

brianw8602 12-29-2015 04:32 PM

Maybe a few of the inflatable pool toys that won't be used again until summer :D

dpinvidic 12-29-2015 04:41 PM

You really need to fix this.

Inflated ball, or a support frame made with PVC. But don't let the water pool.
And that much ice/water is pretty heavy.

Dan.

DDDonkey 12-29-2015 06:27 PM

Fill the void with milk crates.

NLOVNIT 12-29-2015 07:27 PM

You will have to put something under there to keep water from pooling. The inner tube idea is a good one since it's soft. What ever you choose, be sure if it has even the slightest of sharp edges you use something to pad them or you'll have a hole in the cover in no time.

We used a cover for 3 winters, but then we kept the rear lower than the front just to aid runoff - something you don't want to do.

Lori-

CJ7365 12-29-2015 07:50 PM

To get the water off siphon it.

CARVAL Motorsports 12-31-2015 04:18 AM

Thanks everyone. Matter of fact, I did have a siphon pump, so I got to that already. I picked up some pop and milk crates yesterday that should fill the void, the milk crates should give the peak needed. I will cover them with something soft/cardboard. Looks like I have a project for New Years Day....:sad:

NLOVNIT 12-31-2015 08:51 AM

Just a thought, the cardboard may eventually get wet, weak & let the milk crates edges rub & puncture your cover. Better to pad them with cut up swim noodles.

Lori-

skipbly 12-31-2015 02:03 PM

Try heavy duty pool pillows, that are used under pool covers.Available in 4'x8' sizes which will also help spread the dead weight of snow.and no sharp edges.

NLOVNIT 12-31-2015 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skipbly (Post 2882670)
Try heavy duty pool pillows, that are used under pool covers.Available in 4'x8' sizes which will also help spread the dead weight of snow.and no sharp edges.

Excellent suggestion! :thumb:

Lori-

swampdog 01-04-2016 06:17 PM

Pull that cover off ,crank that baby up and head south for the winter ! That will solve your problem and be fun too!:thumb::D

SarahW 01-06-2016 12:47 AM

I just want to ask... does rainwater stand in that depressed area of the roof when uncovered? I have never seen a roof like that one.