iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class C Motorhome Discussions (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f87/)
-   -   Ford Transit vs Mercedes Sprinter (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f87/ford-transit-vs-mercedes-sprinter-287408.html)

peterson 04-19-2016 07:23 AM

Ford Transit vs Mercedes Sprinter

Why is an RV on the Sprinter chassis $20K more than on a Transit chassis?

wanderso 04-20-2016 12:08 AM

If you are comparing diesel to diesel for the difference, my guess is import taxes, prestige/longevity in the US market, and higher carrying capacity of the sprinter.

(The transit is well respected in Europe; new to US)

two2go 04-23-2016 05:13 PM

It seems load capacity is quite a bit less on Transits. In their favor would be engine choices and wider dealer network. I read of quite a few Sprinter maintenance issues and cost of maintenance. I would like to hear about any Transit owner experience.

johninsd 04-23-2016 06:29 PM

Maybe the "chicken tax" has something to do with it. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_tax

As I understand it Mercedes assembles Sprinters in Germany, test drives them then disassembles them and imports them here as "kits" which are then reassembled in South Carolina. this saves MB from paying the 25% tariff but adds about 15% to the price of the Sprinter in the form of wasted labor on both ends. It looks like Ford has figured out a way around the tax by importing the Transits from Turkey as passenger vehicles with rear seats and windows, then immediately removing the rear seats etc. and scrapping them thus making the Transit back into what it was intended to be - a truck. I don't know how much this nonsense adds to the price of the Transit but it must add something. Amazing how much politics gets in the way.

Arkie_ENT 04-23-2016 10:29 PM

Wait Until The Service Starts...

When working on my Mercedes E350 sedan the dealership has mechanics dressed in Mercedes surgical gowns complete with matching gloves. (3) words: Bring your wallet because at about $200.00/hour you'll pay whatever the manufacturer service manual recommends for total hours to complete the job!

When working on my Ford/Winnebago motorhome engine/frame I have an EXCELLENT independent shop billing at $60.00/hour when I supply the parts.

Kern 06-11-2016 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterson (Post 3029656)
Why is an RV on the Sprinter chassis $20K more than on a Transit chassis?

In my humble opinion the difference in the price tag is simply because Mercedes was the only one in the room when the dancing started. Ford came out with the Transit once they saw what Mercedes had started. Look for the differential to drop as companies like FedEx start scooping up Transits and putting the difference directly on the bottom line.

BTW, my next van will be on the Transit chassis simply because of the cost differential and the more important fact is that you can get a Transit fixed in locations you might like to RV to where the nearest Sprinter Dealer is 500 miles away and the Ford dealer is in the next town down the road.

Kern
Pleasure Way
Plateau TS

powerboatr 06-11-2016 10:25 PM

transit vans are made in usa

the diesel engine is made in various countries

powerboatr 06-11-2016 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by powerboatr (Post 3111298)
transit vans are made in usa

the diesel engine is made in various countries

and MB is going through serious worker problems in Germany, syrian refugees that are not well trained and have no real work ethic.
MB is expanding its foot print in the USA
the campus just west of Birmingham is expanding and will be building more models stateside
our smart workforce and better bang for the buck, helps alot

Kern 06-12-2016 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by powerboatr (Post 3111387)
and MB is going through serious worker problems in Germany, syrian refugees that are not well trained and have no real work ethic.
MB is expanding its foot print in the USA
the campus just west of Birmingham is expanding and will be building more models stateside
our smart workforce and better bang for the buck, helps alot

I hope Mercedes can get their act together here in the US. I have my doubts. Ford has got the Transit poised to eat Mercedes lunch: lower cost and likely ten times as much repair coverage. This is a lot to overcome. Leisure Travel Vans is coming out with the Wonder on the Transit chassis in about two months. Tricked out it is about $27,000 less than the comparable Unity with the Murphy bed. Look for Winnebago and Pleasure Way to follow with a Transit chassis model.

Kern
Pleasure Way
2014 Plateau TS

CharlesinGA 06-12-2016 07:08 PM

Please note that the Chicken Tax only affects light trucks. I think this is considered 6,000 GVW and under. The Transit Connect is the small van that you see running all over the place, seems every business has one. It is made in Turkey as a passenger vehicle and converted in Balitmore, MD, to a truck.

The Transit is the full sized vehicle that the OP is referring to, and it is built in the Ford plant in Kansas City. It is also built in plants overseas, but the ones sold in the US are built here in the US.

The Transit and the Transit Connect are two completely different vehicles.

Charles