iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f38/)
-   -   Summer Itinerary Ideas (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f38/summer-itinerary-ideas-287684.html)

affreeman 04-20-2016 07:37 PM

Summer Itinerary Ideas

The wife and I more or less just decided to take a big chunk of time off this summer, maybe most of July and August, and head out from Boston in the RV.

Yes, I know that's prime vacation season and tourist areas will be crowded. But summer is the slow time with our business and the least impractical time for us to be away.

I'm simply looking for ideas of an itinerary. There's no right or wrong answer, just different ideas. It might help to know we're very active people; we run, bike, hike, go to the gym. We're more state park people than RV resort people, and not averse to boondocking either. But we will be in a 34' Class A so can't fit in everywhere.

So folks, where would you suggest we head?

CampDaven 04-20-2016 07:56 PM

Summer Itinerary Ideas

Maine (blueberries full mid August) and the Canada Maritimes.
Bar Harbor is nice, but the Real Maine is farther along. Try Whiting and Eastport. :)
Enjoy! (Burp)

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants

t55watson 04-20-2016 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by affreeman (Post 3032130)
The wife and I more or less just decided to take a big chunk of time off this summer, maybe most of July and August, and head out from Boston in the RV.

Yes, I know that's prime vacation season and tourist areas will be crowded. But summer is the slow time with our business and the least impractical time for us to be away.

I'm simply looking for ideas of an itinerary. There's no right or wrong answer, just different ideas. It might help to know we're very active people; we run, bike, hike, go to the gym. We're more state park people than RV resort people, and not averse to boondocking either. But we will be in a 34' Class A so can't fit in everywhere.

So folks, where would you suggest we head?

We would welcome you in northern Michigan. A great route? West to Niagara Falls, Cross into Canada and West to Port Huron,MI (passport needed) then follow the shore of Lake Huron North stopping at any State Park you want, we have many. They all keep a few sites open for overnighters but stop early to make sure you get one. When you get North of Oscoda you could head inland for a ways and boondock on state or federal land. At Mackinaw City it is private campgrounds but you must stop and take the ferry to Mackinaw Island,Google it, not to be missed.Private campgrounds very seldom fill completely with the exception of holidays. Cross the Mackinaw bridge to our Upper Peninsula, we just say UP, and visit Lighthouses (more than all off the New England coast) or hike in to over 100 waterfalls. Not all need a hike, may be near a road. Town Chamber of Commerce or campground hosts will be glad to direct you. Make sure you get to Lake Superior, the largest fresh water lake in the world. Just a few suggestions. Have a good time where ever you go.:dance:

TonyDi 04-20-2016 10:03 PM

If your taking 7-8 weeks off. Take the opportunity to go west. South Dakota, Montana and Wyoming. If you outdoors and like biking, hiking, fishing, white water rafting, these are places for you. There is a ton to do along the way also.

Good luck with the plans.

MRUSA14 04-21-2016 11:48 AM

I vote with TonyDI. The areas he mentioned are awesome. Don't miss Grand Tetons and Yellowstone. Make reservations ASAP because those area campgrounds fill up.

affreeman 04-22-2016 05:42 AM

Thanks All

Thanks for all the ideas. I like the idea of heading across the northern tier of states aiming for Wyoming & etc. We're rather allergic to making reservations as having to be in a certain place on a certain day feels far too much like work, but we may have to if we want to visit some of the big parks.

All this, of course, is moot if SWMBO decides she prefers a different itinerary.

affreeman 04-22-2016 05:45 AM

What About Mail?

I suppose this doesn't really belong in this forum but it's a question related to this thread. We're not going to be full-timing so not ready to permanently change our address to a mail forwarding service, but two months seems like a dangerously long time not to see our mail. We could miss something important.

What do others do about mail when away from home for an fairly long time, like 2 months?

MRUSA14 04-22-2016 06:54 AM

There is an extensive thread elsewhere on the topic of mail. I suggest you search for it. What we do is have the post office forward our mail to a relative who forwards it by priority mail every two weeks to wherever we are. It can be sent to a campground if they will accept it for you, or to general delivery at a post office along your route.

nothermark 04-22-2016 07:09 AM

If you decide not to go that far west you can also find an adequate loop just heading to Niagara Falls and back through Canada. Stop in the Berkshires, NY Finger Lakes, the Falls, anywhere along the north side of L Ontario, the Adirondacks, Norther VT, NH, and home. There are a lot of places to stop for a few nights at a time. ;-)

George Schweikle 04-22-2016 09:05 AM

Here's something interesting for overnight stops. Free camping at wineries, farms, etc. We used one site in the finger Lakes area last year, and will seek some more opportunities on a spring trip to the Carolinas.

https://harvesthosts.com/

TonyDi 04-22-2016 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Schweikle (Post 3034335)
Here's something interesting for overnight stops. Free camping at wineries, farms, etc. We used one site in the finger Lakes area last year, and will seek some more opportunities on a spring trip to the Carolinas.

https://harvesthosts.com/

I've been to he Finger Lakes several times. I love it there. But an overnight stop at a winery will wind up turning into more than one night. :angel: Especially if they have good wine.:cool:

Greytraveler 04-24-2016 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by affreeman (Post 3034099)
I suppose this doesn't really belong in this forum but it's a question related to this thread. We're not going to be full-timing so not ready to permanently change our address to a mail forwarding service, but two months seems like a dangerously long time not to see our mail. We could miss something important.

What do others do about mail when away from home for an fairly long time, like 2 months?

If we are going to be gone over a month, we prepay certain bills, check others online and pay online, and for the rest we have a neighbor pick it up and email and us questions re. anything that needs addressing. Never gone from home over two months.

happy2bgran 04-30-2016 09:32 PM

If you travel without making reservations try not to be looking for a campsite on Friday or Saturday. And you're right about big parks--reservations are a must if you want to stay in the park.

TheBelchers 05-02-2016 06:28 AM

with that amount of time head west.....im sure you've seen your share of new england as we have (ct residents) Wyoming, Montana, yellowstone all great places .....people don't talk about these places when they talk vacations except on the camping forums cuz campers know the best places to go and enjoy peace relaxation and the best the world has to offer us! :dance: