iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Monaco Owner's Forum (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/)
-   -   New Interstate Batteries (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/new-interstate-batteries-28835.html)

Phrog Driver 05-01-2007 01:25 PM

Recently purchased two new Interstate Start batteries for the coach. As I was installing the batteries I noticed there didn't seem to be any fill caps. I called the vendor and he said that I needed to cut away the plastic covering over the caps. That was easy enough and I made sure that I didn't cut away the warranty info. When I popped the four fill caps I discovered the water was just over the plates. Added 3/4 gal of distilled water to top them off. Don't know why Interstate covers the fill caps,just know that they do.

Phrog Driver 05-01-2007 01:25 PM

Recently purchased two new Interstate Start batteries for the coach. As I was installing the batteries I noticed there didn't seem to be any fill caps. I called the vendor and he said that I needed to cut away the plastic covering over the caps. That was easy enough and I made sure that I didn't cut away the warranty info. When I popped the four fill caps I discovered the water was just over the plates. Added 3/4 gal of distilled water to top them off. Don't know why Interstate covers the fill caps,just know that they do.

ronboc 05-01-2007 03:10 PM

Good info to keep in the back of our minds.

But two new batteries already? I'm guessing there's a story here?

I can never figure out why some mfgrs have replaceable caps and others make 'em sealed. You'd think everyone would go one way or another.

Phrog Driver 05-01-2007 04:19 PM

OK, here is the rest of the story. I purchased a 1.3 amp BatterMinder to keep the start batteries charged and the unit was defective. It drained my batteries so low over a three week period that they could not be recharged. I sent unit back for a replacement. The BatteryMinder gets great reviews and is sold by Camping World among others. I tested the defective one per the instructions given me by the contact person at BatteryMinder. Basically just hooking the unit up and testing with a digital voltmeter. That is when I noticed the battery voltage was slowing dropping with the unit plugged in. Same thing happened when I tested it on my car battery. Their instruction sheet clearly states that if the unit is attached without power , it will drain the battery(s). However, in my case the BatteryMinder was getting power from the coach which was on shore power. I know the shore power was on the entire time because my microwave clock was working in the coach and it goes into the blink mode when power is interrupted. Also checked the plug in for 110 with a voltmeter and it was good. Only previous problems with starting occurred when the coach was stored for more than three or four weeks without starting or charging. Even then, the cross over from the house batteries always started the coach. If the replacement unit doesn't work when I get it, then I will go back to square one.