iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   Front window shades - open or closed? (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/front-window-shades-open-or-closed-294026.html)

Hammer bird 06-05-2016 03:07 PM

Front window shades - open or closed?

I find the big, gigantic front window on our coach to be a perplexing thing. Many times in some places (particularly scenic) I love to leave the curtain open during the day for extra light and the scenery. Now obviously if it's really sunny and hot it's wise to close the curtains. But I'm sure to some, the curtains wide open is a bit like living in a fishbowl! Sometimes I'll partially open the curtain, but I really love the light. I'm going out on a limb here, but it seems, to me, that most coach owners keep things pretty closed up. Am I an oddball!?

Spk64 06-05-2016 03:09 PM

When we have our external cover on the windshield and curtains open during the day. You can see out but cannot see in.

Steve

CarlAda 06-05-2016 03:27 PM

Yep, you need a sunscreen for the window. It reduces the heat transfer significantly, as well as restricting people looking into your coach while not restricting your views (during daylight hours).

MSHappyCampers 06-05-2016 03:29 PM

Depends! If the sun is not shining directly on the windshield AND it's not too hot outside, we'll leave it open. We too love the outside view and don't mind feeling like we're in a fishbowl!

If the sun IS shining on the windshield, OR if it's REALLY hot out there, then we have a piece of Reflectix cut to fit the windshield. :thumb::D

Pigman1 06-05-2016 03:42 PM

DW had the same general thoughts. She sewed up a Cafe Curtain about 24" tall and hung it from a spring loaded shower rod across the lower part of the front window. It keeps the casual gawkers from looking in and seeing every move you make, but allows unrestricted viewing of outside. Curtain folds up and rod stores in the basement.

96 Wideglide 06-05-2016 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarlAda (Post 3101623)
Yep, you need a sunscreen for the window. It reduces the heat transfer significantly, as well as restricting people looking into your coach while not restricting your views (during daylight hours).

:thumb: My coach came with one that slides into a track on the inside. I f I were buying one, I'd get the Magnashade, that mounts on the outside!

Hammer bird 06-05-2016 05:26 PM

Glad I posted this. Never thought of an exterior shade! I'll have to look into that!

dennis45 06-05-2016 05:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammer bird (Post 3101835)
Glad I posted this. Never thought of an exterior shade! I'll have to look into that!

Had a set of screens made for our coach a few years ago. They reduce the inside temperature a bunch making things a lot more manageable for the AC. And they still allow light inside.
These particular ones use snap buttons to install. Storing them is pretty easy. Just roll them up and slide them into a 6" tube I installed in one of the basement compartments.
If I were to buy them today, I think I would look at the ones with magnets instead of snaps.
There are a few varieties of these on the market. I am told the only ones that are really effective are the black ones. Also, be careful of the ones that fit like a saddle on a sow. If your gona spend the money, get the good ones.
IMHO that is...

Mr_D 06-05-2016 05:49 PM

Ours came with the MCD dual shades, one total blocking and the other is a sun shade. Still considering getting a MagneShade though as the cats like to look out and the interior shades get in their way.

Cat320 06-05-2016 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammer bird (Post 3101835)

We had five Magne Shades on our last coach:

Home | Magne Shade | Sunshade for RV, RV Shade, Installs from the ground, Magnetic Shade, Magnet Shade

dennis45 06-05-2016 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cat320 (Post 3101907)

If I were in the market, these would be at the top of my list. :thumb:
I have the Winshield, Drivers Side window, the Entry Door and Passenger Side window along with four curtains for the wheel wells.
One of the Best investments I made but did not know about the Magne Shade at the time.
With the snaps, they are easy to install but I need to use a ladder.

Frantz 06-05-2016 06:15 PM

Another :thumb::thumb::thumb: for Magna Shades. We don't know why it took us 5 years to get rid of the snap-on & the suction cup mounted varieties. Worth every $$$ we paid for them :cool:

At night we lower the inside solid shades so we are no longer in the fishbowl.

CampDaven 06-05-2016 07:29 PM

Front window shades - open or closed?

I suggest doing whatever fits the moment, the weather, or your mood.
The front blinds are easy to operate, never jam, and there are no motors to replace. They never fail.
Side shades are 95% UV with draw strings. They never fail.
With the side shades down in daylight nobody can see in, but we can somewhat see out. They never fail. At night, peeps can see in. If there is good weather (which we follow as much as possible), all of the shades and the front curtain are OPEN! A better view in and out. What a concept (albiet old)!
What IS a true wonderment is the actions needed by electric shade owners to poke the remote to open all of the shades, and then stand and go to each window to open them! Tenters must really feel slighted.
The world is viewed best without a screen. Much more real that way. Imagine Magna Shades on the house windows.
Ours is the RV that is a lit up like a "pumpkin" until we retire. If folks look in at night, they may see our scrumptious dinner, but not the recipe. Gawkers may view at will.
An estimate from Magna Shade was $6200 for the double layer stuff. Ummm....Sheesh!
See ya later, we have camping to do.
Happy Trails

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants

Ludmilla 06-05-2016 08:30 PM

I also love our Magnet Shades! They keep the sun out, you can see through but others can cannot see in during the day. We close the inside curtains at night because you can see in through the Magnet Shades at night. They are great for keeping the sun from heating up the coach. We have the ones for the front windshield and the three side windows in the cockpit.