iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Fleetwood Products Owner's Forum (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/)
-   -   Discovery 40G (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/discovery-40g-297088.html)

SteveIC 06-26-2016 03:37 PM

Discovery 40G
 
Heya Fleetwood Owners!

I currently own a Tiffin Allegro, but the wife and I are thinking of trading in for a Discovery 40G, because we really really like the idea of the seperate bunkhouse for the kiddos.

I just wanted to hear owner opinions on Fleetwood, the Discovery, and the Discovery 40G in particular if there are any owners here. Thanks for any opinions, tips, or advice in advance!

-Steve

chindog 06-26-2016 04:20 PM

We love ours. We don't have kids that travel with us, but we have small dogs, and the bunk area is perfect for dog crates and storage, and is why we were attracted to this model. One of the other things we really like about it is the configuration of the big TV in relation to the sofa. A lot of floor plans have the TV at a 90 degree angle to the sofa so that you have to crane your neck to watch. Also, during meals we turn on both the big TV and the one over the cockpit, so we can both watch the same program while facing each other in the dining booth.

The bathroom is convenient to access from the living room, or the bedroom, or the bunk room, and when the doors are closed, can be accessed from any of those areas without disturbing anyone in the other areas.

We've made a lot of good friends through the Discovery Owners club, too. Just another perk we never anticipated when we chose our coach.

jondrew 06-26-2016 04:37 PM

You'll love the 40G. We're really glad we got it.

Fla2RI 07-05-2016 06:49 PM

2016 40G, love it.

campcarlton1 07-08-2016 08:43 PM

We have a 2012 40G we bought used in 2013. We've put about 20,000 miles on it so far (2,800 last month) and I love it. We have two boys (12 & 8) and they love it too. The floor plan is the best in the industry for bunks in my opinion and Fleetwood quality is pretty good. I think Tiffin has them beat in some areas but I'm considering buying another one because I'm really loving the 2017 and may consider trading our '12 in the next year. Good luck.

WhereItsAt 07-09-2016 12:54 PM

Have you towed a car hauler (enclosed trailer) with it? I'm torn between the 40G and the Newmar 4310. The single rear axle has me concerned for stability during towing with the Discovery LX. The additional $50K for 3' and a tag is steep though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by campcarlton1 (Post 3151887)
We have a 2012 40G we bought used in 2013. We've put about 20,000 miles on it so far (2,800 last month) and I love it. We have two boys (12 & 8) and they love it too. The floor plan is the best in the industry for bunks in my opinion and Fleetwood quality is pretty good. I think Tiffin has them beat in some areas but I'm considering buying another one because I'm really loving the 2017 and may consider trading our '12 in the next year. Good luck.


jondrew 07-09-2016 01:46 PM

You're kind of comparing apples and oranges. I like my Discovery, but if money were no object I'd certainly consider a Newmar with a TAG and larger power plant.

What size/weight car hauler are you talking about?

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhereItsAt (Post 3152677)
Have you towed a car hauler (enclosed trailer) with it? I'm torn between the 40G and the Newmar 4310. The single rear axle has me concerned for stability during towing with the Discovery LX. The additional $50K for 3' and a tag is steep though.


Asteroid 07-09-2016 09:16 PM

We have the "smaller version" of the Discovery 40G, the Expedition 38B, with pretty much the identical floorplan, so I'm chiming in. We have four children, that's why we chose this bunkhouse model. One child has extensive food allergies, so the kitchen layout is fantastic with lots of room.

It's quite expansive with the slides out, so I set up a folding Lifetime table in the middle for use as an island whenever we camp. There is plenty of room for it, and storage bins and coolers fit underneath the table. When it's not being used for food prep, a buffet, or additional counter space, it's handy for playing board games.

I love the floor plan, and as another reviewer mentioned, there is no craning of the neck while watching TV. I would have liked the 40G, but there were none available in my neck of the woods. We also liked the deal we got on our 2012 38B in 2013 when 2014 models were just coming out.

Did you end up with the 40G? If so, how do you like it

WhereItsAt 07-09-2016 10:15 PM

I agree that the price difference is not insignificant, but I'm cross shopping both LX 40G and Ventana 3
4310 (and 2016 4316 model).

Trailering an enclosed 20' with a Q7 in it. I'd love to get a stacker, but the 10k tow capacity will be surpassed on both models.

campcarlton1 07-10-2016 06:15 AM

I tow my 21' key west bay reef boat back and forth to the keys each year and when I'm not towing the boat I usually have our 4 door Jeep Wrangler in tow (just drug it to New England and back) with no trouble at all. Neither of those rigs is close to the weight you'll be towing though. I've seen quite a few guys tow 3/4 ton, 4 door, diesel pickup trucks behind their 40g so I would guess towing the enclosed trailer and the Q7 would be a similar weight (Q7 weighs 5,000+). Are you totally opposed to getting a vehicle you can tow on all 4? It's WAY less of a headache than dealing with a trailer but I'm sure you know that, just my two cents.

SteveIC 07-10-2016 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asteroid (Post 3153290)
We have the "smaller version" of the Discovery 40G, the Expedition 38B, with pretty much the identical floorplan, so I'm chiming in. We have four children, that's why we chose this bunkhouse model. One child has extensive food allergies, so the kitchen layout is fantastic with lots of room.

It's quite expansive with the slides out, so I set up a folding Lifetime table in the middle for use as an island whenever we camp. There is plenty of room for it, and storage bins and coolers fit underneath the table. When it's not being used for food prep, a buffet, or additional counter space, it's handy for playing board games.

I love the floor plan, and as another reviewer mentioned, there is no craning of the neck while watching TV. I would have liked the 40G, but there were none available in my neck of the woods. We also liked the deal we got on our 2012 38B in 2013 when 2014 models were just coming out.

Did you end up with the 40G? If so, how do you like it

We actually aren't looking to upgrade for another few years or so. We are still paying on our Tiffin Allegro and want to pay off a few more years before we upgrade. Just doing a ton of research to make sure we love what we get. Honestly if I knew about the discovery before we bought the Tiffin we would have just got it instead lol. Lessons learned, it was our first RV and we had no idea. The only other model we are tossing around is the Montana fifth wheel. I love how spacious it is but I personally like class a's better for the driving comfort.

WhereItsAt 07-10-2016 02:27 PM

No, I'm not opposed to flat towing, but I prefer trailers for additional space and protection. I will occasionally tow a sports car in the trailer; So the enclosed is a must.

gtsum2 07-10-2016 08:13 PM

Good looking floor plan, just wished the 40g had a bath and a half. The 2017's are sharp thiugh

jondrew 07-10-2016 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtsum2 (Post 3154800)
Good looking floor plan, just wished the 40g had a bath and a half. The 2017's are sharp thiugh

I think a bath and a half would be good if you had more than you and your kids on a regular basis. We find the single bath more than sufficient


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.