iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   Why So Few Outdoor Kitchens on Class A RVs? (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/why-so-few-outdoor-kitchens-on-class-a-rvs-301330.html)

mtofell 07-26-2016 12:46 AM

Why So Few Outdoor Kitchens on Class A RVs?

I'm in a 5th wheel but always looking one step ahead to my next coach. That will most likely be a class A bunkhouse of some type. I am a bit disappointed though at the lack of outdoor kitchen offerings. This is a feature I insisted on in "negotiating" with my wife and can say it's all I had hoped for an more.

I REALLY like to cook... and I don't mean just throwing some Stove Top Stuffing in a pot. I like herbs, spices, sauces and all the stink that comes along with them. The problem is an RV is a very tight space and it's pretty much impossible to cook a good flavorful meal and not wake up smelling it throughout the coach. The outdoor kitchen on my 5th is great. Plus, just having access to a fridge or cooler outside and a sink to wash hands after throwing something on the grill is great.

So, why do so few Class A units have outdoor kitchens? Of course, needing bunks greatly limits my choices but I'm still surprised. I'd love to hear from anyone that has found a great bunkhouse with an outdoor kitchen.

JFXG 07-26-2016 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtofell (Post 3179150)
......So, why do so few Class A units have outdoor kitchens? .........

I have no hard data, but if I were to venture a guess I would say it's because folks in larger Class As on average do far less actual "camping" than people in 5ers or TTs.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS, FL, Cat330, '04 Element NHSO RVM103

Dtwallace 07-26-2016 01:59 AM

[QUOTE=JFXG;3179157]I have no hard data, but if I were to venture a guess I would say it's because folks in larger Class As on average do far less actual "camping" than people in 5ers or TTs.

QUOTE]

I totally agree with that statement. So for us to get around not having a built in/on kitchen, we carry an extra camping stove and added items in a foot locker/kit.

It only takes up maybe a 2X3 foot print on one of our slide out storage trays.

Also a foldup table to hold it all and that's our outside kitchen.

Anything else we need to create the outside dinning area is taken from inside the coach. We don't do much cooking inside as far as large meals.

That's our work around to the issue,,:dance:
DTW

Scatterbrain 07-26-2016 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtofell (Post 3179150)
I'm in a 5th wheel but always looking one step ahead to my next coach. That will most likely be a class A bunkhouse of some type. I am a bit disappointed though at the lack of outdoor kitchen offerings. This is a feature I insisted on in "negotiating" with my wife and can say it's all I had hoped for an more.

I REALLY like to cook... and I don't mean just throwing some Stove Top Stuffing in a pot. I like herbs, spices, sauces and all the stink that comes along with them. The problem is an RV is a very tight space and it's pretty much impossible to cook a good flavorful meal and not wake up smelling it throughout the coach. The outdoor kitchen on my 5th is great. Plus, just having access to a fridge or cooler outside and a sink to wash hands after throwing something on the grill is great.

So, why do so few Class A units have outdoor kitchens? Of course, needing bunks greatly limits my choices but I'm still surprised. I'd love to hear from anyone that has found a great bunkhouse with an outdoor kitchen.

I'd imagine it's a number of different factors.
One: it would require a fair sacrifice of interior space.
Two: I imagine it could be an issue if there is a slide on that wall.
Three: As JFXG pointed out, it may simply be something that the majority of class A buyers aren't asking for. I know I personally wouldn't want one on my rig.
Four: The height of the frame on a class A rig vs a trailer may also be an issue. It could simply be a matter of making it too high to be useful.
Five: On a DP it would encroach on the engine bay.

What I have seen on larger class A rigs (DPs at least) are grills and freezers/coolers on joey trays. I've seen bus conversions with fridge/freezer, grill, sink, storage drawers, etc. all on a sliding tray.

Ludmilla 07-26-2016 05:24 AM

I would not want an outdoor kitchen. It takes up top much valuable space. When I want to cook outdoors, I have a portable table and either use the BBQ or the induction burner. That is all I need to have an outdoor kitchen.

mikensallyt 07-26-2016 05:49 AM

I have an outdoor kitchen on mine but its not a bunk house. I still like it. :dance: Small fridge and sink only though with some counter space. And luckily for me on my tall body frame, I'm not hitting the corners of "whatever" you call it when the door cabinet is open. :bow: I still pull out a table and a charcoal pit though for convenience sake to use. I could do without the outdoor tv system and speakers, since I never use it. But to each their own.

wildtoad 07-26-2016 05:58 AM

One kitchen is sufficient. Potable grill for cooking meats, corn on the cob, baked potatoes, and more. Potable gas stove for the far and few times other cooking needs are required. I totally agree with "real" cooking stinking up the place if cooked indoors.

Tha_Rooster 07-26-2016 06:11 AM

I prefer to eat out and have the extra bay space.

Melmoses 07-26-2016 06:23 AM

Lots of reasons- weight on one side of the mh, takes up too much inside space, the frame makes it too high to be useful, it's easy to pull out the table & grill and cook away from the side of the coach. I had one on a 5th wheel and although I used it a lot, I dont miss it that much. Everything including Nuwave oven, grill, tools, and table is in an easy to access place in the bay. Takes maybe 10 minutes to set our whole outside camp up outside.

MRUSA14 07-26-2016 06:23 AM

With an exterior mounted stove, how can you keep smoke and grease from getting all over your RV's exterior? At least with a portable grille you can move it depending on the wind.

Texasranger 07-26-2016 06:35 AM

Because the majority of upper end DP have been there done that and at advanced age no longer interested in it. When we were younger we cooked out all the time when camping. Now we eat most meals out.

MN_Traveler 07-26-2016 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ludmilla (Post 3179224)
I would not want an outdoor kitchen. It takes up top much valuable space. When I want to cook outdoors, I have a portable table and either use the BBQ or the induction burner. That is all I need to have an outdoor kitchen.

Ditto for me. I like to cook also, but would not want the dedicated space. Portable grill and propane fired camp stove work well for me. The camp stove is hotter than the indoor stove anyway (boil water faster and stir frys)!

Pepper2 07-26-2016 06:43 AM

Seems like a waste of space having two kitchens in a MH. Our little weber grill cooks great outdoors and stores easily.

Cbones 07-26-2016 06:49 AM

You need to check out the Fleetwood Discovery 40G. It is a great bunkhouse DP with an exterior kitchen mounted on a slide out. We tailgate often, and the exterior kitchen is fantastic. It has a sink, bbq, and plenty of counter space. Additionally it has a cabinet and a huge storage area. When we have a bbq party, I have everything I need outdoors, and I can cook to my hearts desire and still be part of the party. I wish I had a picture, but I am sure you can find it on the Internet. Here is a link that may be of interest.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/outs...ce-113928.html