iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   National RV Owner's Forum (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f105/)
-   -   R-134 refrigerant label location (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f105/r-134-refrigerant-label-location-302522.html)

mrk 08-03-2016 01:39 PM

R-134 refrigerant label location

This season my dash air conditioner stopped blowing cool air. I've located the Schrader valve to put in some R134, but I can't find a label anywhere to give me some idea how much refrigerant the system holds.

Does anybody know if there is a label stating the quantity of R134 that goes into the automotive a/c system in a 1999 Tradewinds? Any additional advice on the process? Thanks.

Dale

BFlinn181 08-03-2016 02:40 PM

I wouldn't add refrigerant to a R-134a system without a complete set of A/C manifold gauges. The little low pressure gauges that come on a can of refrigerant and a single hose only give you one reading, not always accurately. With a manifold gauge set you get high and low pressure readings. With the newer refrigerants, unlike the 'dinosaur' R-12, it's almost as critical to the cooling efficiency to have too much refrigerant as too little.

A pro shop can not only add the proper amount, according to pressure differences, ambient temperature and vent temperature drop, but they also can sniff out any leaks present in the system.

To just add refrigerant doesn't fix the leak.

M&EM 08-03-2016 05:25 PM

The dash AC evaporator housing on mine has a label for freon amount.

I can see the label from the front access panel.

I don't know where that is located on the Tradewinds model..

Spk64 08-03-2016 07:31 PM

The best and most accurate way to add freon is fully evacuate then add the exact amount back in. Most auto shops do this with special equipment. Second best is full set of gauges to read both high and low side.
Worst thing is the single gage small can, I would never recommend using those for filling a system unless you are just adding a couple ounces.
R134 systems like it just right, too little or too much and performance suffers.
If you have an Evans cooling system the label will be on the back side. Ours is visible under the front hood.

Steve

mrk 08-04-2016 10:14 PM

Thanks for the many suggestions and actions regarding recharging the a/c system.

I was able to locate the label telling me how much R134a the system holds. The label was on the plastic housing above the generator--way above the generator. I had to use my cellphone's camera to take a picture of it, as there was no way to get an eyeball near it. The picture of the label on the picture says that the system holds 2.75 pounds of R134a.

I'm getting a set of gauges, and we'll try to put enough refrigerant into it to get it working again. If it leaks out, then we'll look, for the leak.

Dale

powderman 08-04-2016 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrk (Post 3194283)
Thanks for the many suggestions and actions regarding recharging the a/c system.

I was able to locate the label telling me how much R134a the system holds. The label was on the plastic housing above the generator--way above the generator. I had to use my cellphone's camera to take a picture of it, as there was no way to get an eyeball near it. The picture of the label on the picture says that the system holds 2.75 pounds of R134a.

I'm getting a set of gauges, and we'll try to put enough refrigerant into it to get it working again. If it leaks out, then we'll look, for the leak.

Dale

You might want to get a can of freon with sealer in it. If its a very small leak, it may seal it up.

Sehc 08-05-2016 08:53 AM

I have had no problems adding small amounts of r134 to multiple systems. Keep an eye on the low pressure reading is sufficient. Do not blindly over fill. Be careful as it is dangerous, gloves and goggles are required. Check the temp at the vents.

Coloradodude 08-05-2016 01:09 PM

I have a 2004 Sea Breeze, Chevy 8.1. The low side connection is right in front. Anyone know where the high side connection is?. Under some piece of plastic?

Thanks Wayne

BFlinn181 08-05-2016 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coloradodude (Post 3194986)
I have a 2004 Sea Breeze, Chevy 8.1. The low side connection is right in front. Anyone know where the high side connection is?. Under some piece of plastic?

Thanks Wayne

I have no idea how National built the body over the engine. The high pressure tap would be on the hard line coming out of the compressor on the way to the expansion valve on the evaporator.

Spk64 08-05-2016 02:14 PM

Not sure exactly where it could be but look for the dryer and it may be on one side of it.