iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   MH-General Discussions & Problems (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/)
-   -   Water Pipes Banging Badly (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/water-pipes-banging-badly-304356.html)

B Dubya 08-16-2016 05:37 PM

Water Pipes Banging Badly

This just started. When working off the water pump, it's a drum corp serenade. If my wife is back in the shower, even the lines under the kitchen sink are banging. Is this as simple as getting U-clamps and securing the lines to the available wood pieces, or is there a pump problem? A clogged filter on the pump? Everything is fine when on city water. We're out in the boonies with limited internet access, so I probably can't get back to this thread very often. Thanx for any suggestions.

jelag 08-16-2016 06:18 PM

When we had problems we went to Home Depot and found a 2 gallon tank with a rubber diaphragm across the chamber.... this makes a basic air dome that doesn't have to be installed in a vertical position... we hung the tank close to the hot water heater only because we had space there.... a simple bracket and plumbed it into the water system on the output side of our water pump before it divides off into the various circuits...

This helps both when the system is on the water pump or connected to shore water..

NRR 08-16-2016 06:23 PM

On my last MH I could not get the pipes from banging when using the pump and shower. It was a reason why I traded it in.

Lots of things helped. Those foam tubes. A flexible tube off of the pump helped. I think I could have had used expanding foam on the shower pipes maybe.

J. Frank 08-16-2016 09:24 PM

Showers tend to take less water and somtimes this causes the pump to cycle on an off very rapidly. An accumulator like jelag installed cushions the:) pulsing and stops the banging. Opening up another faucet and increasing the flowrate may be a temporary fix (the pump won't cycle).

Fiesta48 08-17-2016 07:17 AM

Fleetwood Discovery 2015

It is usually just a pipe/pump banging against something solid. Isolate and/or secure. Most recent was a flex line just after pump hitting a wall. Used a wire tie to pull it away from the wall.

TQ60 08-17-2016 07:55 AM

Add a buffer tank and all will be much better.

Pump runs in cycles and pressure consistant.

skypilot_1 08-17-2016 08:00 AM

Secure the offending line, or as others have said install booster tank or a smaller "water hammer".....:thumb:

Hikerdogs 08-18-2016 07:23 AM

The suggestion of using an accumulator tank will help smooth out the pump operation. Rather than starting and shutting off for every minor call for water it will allow the pump to delay the start and allow it to run smoothly.
Here's a link to one from Camping World:
Shurflo Accumulator Tank - Shurflo 182-200 - Fresh Water Pumps - Camping World

Many RV dealers stock them.

In addition you might try a water pump silencer kit. It's a couple lengths of softer tubing that connect to the inlet and outlet ports of the pump. They absorb some of the shock of the pump starting and stopping

SHURflo Pump Silencer Kit - Shurflo 94-591-01 - Fresh Water Pumps - Camping World

We installed both kits on our 2001 and 2013 Adventurers. The pump went from banging and clanking at each cycle to not being able to tell when it starts and stops.

TXiceman 08-18-2016 08:07 AM

Add an accumulator tank on the pump outlet, plus anchor the lines. make sure the pump is mounted on a vibration dampening pad or get a variable speed pump.

Ken

B Dubya 08-18-2016 09:21 AM

Thanx for the responses. Today is a down day as I blew up the clutch on my offroad vehicle. Yup, been one of those weeks. We're gonna clean out the cabinet under the kitchen sink and pull out the galley drawers and start there. We leave for home tomorrow and should get there on Sat. I have two weeks B4 we head out for Yellowstone and Rushmore, so I don't know how much I can get done in that 2 weeks. I like the tank idea, but that would be a winter project. I appreciate the links and the help. This banging is driving us nutz!!

B Dubya 08-18-2016 02:54 PM

Found the culprit! Of course it wasn't real accessible, but we fixed it. Glad the wife is much smaller than me! Thanx again to all.

Dubya

MSHappyCampers 08-18-2016 03:19 PM

Glad you found the problem! I was about to tell you to let that guy out that's been locked in your basement and beating on the pipes! :thumb::D

B Dubya 08-19-2016 09:39 PM

Actually it was the dawg. He was under there scratching fleas on his neck and his leg was banging against the wall!

MSHappyCampers 08-21-2016 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B Dubya (Post 3216614)
Actually it was the dawg. He was under there scratching fleas on his neck and his leg was banging against the wall!

I think you're just pulling our leg! ;)