iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   iRV2.com General Discussion (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/)
-   -   Holding tanks question (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/holding-tanks-question-307451.html)

rich6111 09-07-2016 11:36 AM

Holding tanks question

We stay at the same camp all summer,is it better to let the tanks get full and then dump or dump every couple of days. Can you leave the gray tank open all of the time?

Mr_D 09-07-2016 11:41 AM

Don't dump the black tank till at least full, and you can leave the grey open all the time if you want to chance sewer gas in your rig. Personally my tanks are closed all the time and only dumped when needed.

palehorse89 09-07-2016 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rich6111 (Post 3243978)
We stay at the same camp all summer,is it better to let the tanks get full and then dump or dump every couple of days. Can you leave the gray tank open all of the time?

Just me........I leave mine both closed.........dump the black when needed, and then the gray to flush the slinky out..........Some leave their gray open all the time, then no water to flush out the hose after black dump.......
I saw/read on here once where a fella left his gray open all the time......dumping one day a clog seem to happen.........took his hose off.......the Coach..........and part of a big snake was hanging partly out of his piping going to his tanks:eek:
. It must/had to come up through the sewage system in the campground...........

MSHappyCampers 09-07-2016 11:45 AM

Keep your black tank closed until it is at least 3/4 full before dumping. Most folks leave the gray tank open until it's almost time to dump the black. We close our gray tank valve the night before we plan to dump the black the next day so there will be plenty of gray water to flush out the hose after dumping the black!

Others say they leave the gray tank closed until they have to dump to prevent sewer flies, etc. from getting into their tank.

Cranemec 09-07-2016 11:57 AM

Ours stay closed until it is time to dump.

Old-Biscuit 09-07-2016 11:58 AM

A fast flowing high level river can move boulders

A slow trickling low level creek can't even move a pebble

You want the fast flowing river........dump waste tanks (black/grey) when FULL
Black due to 'solids' and TP stuff
Grey due to food debris/oils-grease/skin cells/scum etc.
Don't want any of that STUFF being left behind and building up

Fast flowing river...........vs trickling creek

TonyMac 09-07-2016 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers (Post 3243996)
Keep your black tank closed until it is at least 3/4 full before dumping. Most folks leave the gray tank open until it's almost time to dump the black. We close our gray tank valve the night before we plan to dump the black the next day so there will be plenty of gray water to flush out the hose after dumping the black!

I do the same. I hold 35 black and 55 gray and still fill the gray with 2 or three showers. I like long showers.

mojoracing 09-07-2016 04:44 PM

I would not leave either open. Black tank is obvious but you can get sewer flies or worse in your grey tank. The snake thing has happened more times than you think.

twogypsies 09-07-2016 06:04 PM

We always left both closed until needed to dump. Sewer flies is one problem but if you leave the water trickle in the bottom of the tank and then trickle out the hose, you will have scum and grease left behind in both. Leaving the gray closed until full, the big whoosh of water rushing through keeps everything cleaner. It only takes a couple minutes to walk outside and open the valve.

jpharley 09-07-2016 06:28 PM

I have reported this before but we have property in a tiny (less than 500 people town and the sewer and storm water drains are the same. When it rains really hard, the storm water (and sewer) will back up through the sewer clean out and up through the RV sewer drain hose and into the RV holding tanks and then into the RV if the tank valve is left open. This is probably a rare occupancy but would you want to chance it with your RV. We leave our valves closed unless it is time to dump.

JohnRR 09-07-2016 09:33 PM

I'm in the camp that keeps them both closed until it's time to dump. Black preferably at least 3/4 full and the gray as full as possible but that's subject to change depending where I'm going next.

jmcannonball 09-07-2016 10:36 PM

I keep both of mine closed until its time to dump, black water first followed by gray water.

ByeTheWay 09-07-2016 11:00 PM

I use a garden hose to dump gray continually. And dump the black when it gets full.

vsheetz 09-08-2016 01:07 AM

Both normally closed. When black 3/4 full, dump it followed by flushing with the grey water.