iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class C Motorhome Discussions (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f87/)
-   -   Greyhawk vs Thor Quantum (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f87/greyhawk-vs-thor-quantum-310607.html)

Wthiggins280 09-30-2016 01:17 PM

Greyhawk vs Thor Quantum

Looking to buy a bunk house. Any advice on the difference between the Jayco Greyhawk and the Thor Quantum. Als, is ther that much difference between the Quantum and Chateau.
Wthiggins180

WDW 09-30-2016 07:31 PM

Greyhawk vs Thor Quantum

I can only tell you we liked our Greyhawk a lot. It was well built and the two year warranty was a safety net.

However, in our 31FK the electric compartment was under the bed. It generated heat, noise and concern. Had we discovered it before we bought, we probably would have made other choices. It was dangerous mess.

Our second choice would be a Forest River product. But never a Thor product. Our dislike relates to the regional dealer is not in our quality world.

2016 Coachmen Mirada 35 BH
2015 Jeep Roadmaster AT. tow bar with RVI2 supplemental.

Taking in the sight wherever our Trolley takes us...

ie2special 10-16-2016 07:03 AM

We fell in love with the 31FK yesterday. Your note about the power under the bed has me thinking. In our tiny Jayco trailer the hot water heater is under the dinette and it generates heat. How does this compare in your bed? The noise isn't an issue...we prefer noise when we sleep.

ie2special 10-16-2016 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wthiggins280 (Post 3276285)
Looking to buy a bunk house. Any advice on the difference between the Jayco Greyhawk and the Thor Quantum. Als, is ther that much difference between the Quantum and Chateau.
Wthiggins180

We are not looking at bunkhouses specifically but we have. We Like them too. We love the floor plan of the quantum, and the cabinets, and decor. However you could feel a difference in the quality. I wanted something "fancier" but I couldn't go with the quantum. It didn't feel "right" in any of them.

We are sticking with the 2 year warranty in the Jayco.

SteviePatt 10-16-2016 02:38 PM

We have really enjoyed our 31FK. The noise under the bed is minimal but noticeable but I guess we are used to it. I have not noticed any heat generation from it. I wonder why you think it is dangerous. Should we be concerned?

ie2special 10-16-2016 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteviePatt (Post 3297153)
We have really enjoyed our 31FK. The noise under the bed is minimal but noticeable but I guess we are used to it. I have not noticed any heat generation from it. I wonder why you think it is dangerous. Should we be concerned?

WDW posted about it above...made me worry...maybe needlessly?

Scarab0088 10-16-2016 07:25 PM

Comparison posts - "Brand X or Brand Y" can be much less productive than asking for feedback in the separate owner Forums:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f113/ For Jayco.
And
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/ For Thor.

It is noteworthy that Jayco is now part of Thor Industries, just like Thor Motor Coach is the business unit of Thor Industries for the FourWinds//Chateau/Quantum. Thor uses a decentralized management business model, so while all these RV's share many internal systems and chassis, there will be individual differences that will make a difference to buyers.

We recommend taking your time (don't rush into a selection) and shop around for the RV that fits your desires best.

Best luck

WDW 10-16-2016 07:54 PM

Greyhawk vs Thor Quantum

My intention was to,inform you of something we found uncomfortable. My advice is to inspect one. ask them to remove the screws so you can see what's there. If you are comfortable with their craftsmanship then enjoy! The 31 FK I a tremendous floor plan.

To clarify our experience, we found construction waste in the compartment. We doing an upgrade for a EMS our Jayco tech found that some wires were poorly connected and had the potential to cause a problem.

Taking in the sights with our Trolley ...but life is always better under a Palm Tree

2016 Coachmen Mirada 35 BH. - our Trolley
2015 Jeep Cherokee Latitude

Western New York

ie2special 10-17-2016 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WDW (Post 3297558)
My intention was to,inform you of something we found uncomfortable. My advice is to inspect one. ask them to remove the screws so you can see what's there. If you are comfortable with their craftsmanship then enjoy! The 31 FK I a tremendous floor plan.

To clarify our experience, we found construction waste in the compartment. We doing an upgrade for a EMS our Jayco tech found that some wires were poorly connected and had the potential to cause a problem.

I appreciate that :)

ie2special 11-14-2016 11:14 AM

I went with the thor, but the super-c. It has the same decor as the quantum, which we loved.

Ours is a bunkhouse. Has the extra room. I like the outdoor kitchen the most.