iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   TV audio tech question??? (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/tv-audio-tech-question-311083.html)

LVRVLUVR 10-03-2016 07:44 PM

TV audio tech question???

on my alpine I gutted the front cabinets and removed them ..added a 39'' tv..

I have 5.1 surround have a place for all the speakers but the front center,... I could put off to the side but it will look hokey:blink:... the visio tv has an option to turn the tv speakers on or off...... could I use the tv as the center speaker???

thanks...

B Dubya 10-03-2016 07:53 PM

Flat panel TVs have small and very thin speakers. That's why TV sound isn't as good as it was maybe 15 years ago. That's also why sound bars and wireless subs became so popular. I suppose there's a way you could isolate the speaker in your TV to make it the fifth element, but you wouldn't be happy with the sound. In a worse case scenario, that center speaker doesn't have to be up front in the very center. You have a small box, and sound will resonate inside that box. Also, depending on the quality of your surround system, you can adjust the speakers output to your desired levels. Hope this helps

LVRVLUVR 10-03-2016 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B Dubya (Post 3280554)
Flat panel TVs have small and very thin speakers. That's why TV sound isn't as good as it was maybe 15 years ago. That's also why sound bars and wireless subs became so popular. I suppose there's a way you could isolate the speaker in your TV to make it the fifth element, but you wouldn't be happy with the sound. In a worse case scenario, that center speaker doesn't have to be up front in the very center. You have a small box, and sound will resonate inside that box. Also, depending on the quality of your surround system, you can adjust the speakers output to your desired levels. Hope this helps

thanks for replying
I'm still running the 4 other speakers and the sub.... the center is just a voice speakerI ordered some new front speakers,,,so when I tried the tv... with out the 3 fronts... there was no voice... so I turned on the tv speakers to watch a movie while I was working...usally... the dvd cancels the tv speakers...will anything bad happen if I leave the tv speakers on while the surround is on?

imob 10-03-2016 08:01 PM

No the TV speaker is that and that only. It does not have an independent input. You should get a passive sound bar that matches your tv. Also some TV manufactures make a blank bracket for a center speaker mount. Beyond that.. you will have to make a mount for the speaker to mount it to the TV or find a mount that you can attach to the wall but will visually place it under the TV.

imob 10-03-2016 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR (Post 3280565)
thanks for replying
I'm still running the 4 other speakers and the sub.... the center is just a voice speakerI ordered some new front speakers,,,so when I tried the tv... with out the 3 fronts... there was no voice... so I turned on the tv speakers to watch a movie while I was working...usally... the dvd cancels the tv speakers...will anything bad happen if I leave the tv speakers on while the surround is on?

Yes that is true surround 5.1 ... 7.1 etc... it is true channel segregation. Only sounds for that segment come from that speaker. Often you can change the output settings on the amplifier to compensate for this if that is not your desired effect.

LVRVLUVR 10-03-2016 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imob (Post 3280568)
No the TV speaker is that and that only. It does not have an independent input. You should get a passive sound bar that matches your tv. Also some TV manufactures make a blank bracket for a center speaker mount. Beyond that.. you will have to make a mount for the speaker to mount it to the TV or find a mount that you can attach to the wall but will visually place it under the TV.

I ment just leave it on....they both work at the same time... or you can turn off the tv speaker,,,the base and the surround still work... just no center speaker... I know that I would have to adjust the volume separate... but that might be a good thing... some times the surround is a little much and can't hear what they are saying... then I could just turn up the voice and not the bombs and gun fire..

B Dubya 10-03-2016 08:24 PM

B4 you get too far into this, read the manual for your surround sound and see if you can make it a quad system. I'm not saying you can, but my surround system has settings for stereo. Then you just adjust the fade to suit your liking. You lose the surround effect, but it still sounds pretty darn good.

LVRVLUVR 10-03-2016 08:35 PM

4 Attachment(s)
here's some pics.... the two holes in the ceiling go to the car stereo....I cut two holes in the cabinet side for the front L & R... my plan was to cut a hole in the ceiling for the surround center.... but the ac duct is there and so is a structural beam... so no where to cut the hole...:popcorn:

B Dubya 10-03-2016 08:41 PM

If symmetry is important to you, then I don't see a way to do it.

LVRVLUVR 10-03-2016 08:45 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I took out the cabinet and left the back wal... unless you are 5'2'' you hit going in and out.... who ever did the install of the 28'' tv must work at the butcher shop during their day job.... anyway... to add a 40'' tv it sticks out too far and makes matters worse..

LVRVLUVR 10-03-2016 08:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by B Dubya (Post 3280602)
B4 you get too far into this, read the manual for your surround sound and see if you can make it a quad system. I'm not saying you can, but my surround system has settings for stereo. Then you just adjust the fade to suit your liking. You lose the surround effect, but it still sounds pretty darn good.

that was mt first idea, but when I was setting up the tv I seen where you could turn the tv speakers on or off...they sound pretty good

B Dubya 10-03-2016 08:57 PM

Well...Call it a night and think over ur options.

LVRVLUVR 10-03-2016 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B Dubya (Post 3280652)
Well...Call it a night and think over ur options.

've got some time to figure it out... new furniture is 4 weeks away still and the new speakers should be here Thursday... thanks...:thumb:

Smitty77 10-03-2016 09:51 PM

You might consider adding a center speaker in front of your AC vent. But looking at your existing speakers, you might be just as well off abandoning them and putting a Soundbar behind the TV. Perhaps set it up with some brackets, that allow it to fold up a bit behind the TV while driving, and then swivel down when doing TV duty. Retain the sub in this combo.

These sardine cans are not great for either HiFi sound, and or Surround Sound. Too narrow of a Left/Right to really get good stereo sound separation. Soundstage can also be off kilter when slides are opened.

If you really want to optimize the sound as much as possible, in these less then ideal 'sound rooms' (Sound room = RV.), then look into AVR's that have some room sound correction capabilities. (We have two seating locations set up for our coach. Seating location one, is when my wife sits with in our Driving Room Slide, as we have two recliners we slightly slide out to watch the TV front overhead cab. The TV is on a pull out mount, and is pulled out and angled to directly face us in that sitting location. The second seating arrangement, is when I sit in my recliner on the Drivers Side, and the DW sits on the J-Lounge of the Passenger side. In this case we still pull out the TV, and swivel it until it is half way between the two of us angle wise. In both cases, I programmed the AVR for these different zones by placing the feedback sound microphone at appropriate height for when we're sitting, and at a location evenly split between us. I do have a third room correction set up, for just me, where I put the microphone just about where my head rests when kicking back in the recliner. (I've been known to crank it up when the DW is out and about shopping!)

As you did not mention your equipment, no way of knowing if it has the ability to auto program for room correction.

And for sure, what is a hobby for say me, where I want to optimize the sound as much as possible. May not be that important to you, and others. I know my DW, is happy if she has a transistor radio blasting mono sound that she can tap her foot too. Me? Well, I'd rather tap my heel onto the transistor radio:)!

Of course, I've been known to walk around our home and mumble 'Got tubes?'... So, probably not all that unbiased of an opinion:)!

Best of luck to you... Looking at your pictures, a sound bar might be your best bet...

$.02

Smitty