iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   MH-General Discussions & Problems (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/)
-   -   Day/Night shade repair (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/day-night-shade-repair-31181.html)

Banjar 11-07-2007 03:30 PM

This must be a common job since the clerk at the RV dealer handed me a copy of the instructions when I bought the cord. I wanted to learn how to do this so I never considered changing out the shades for a different type. I will be considering that before the next repair.

Some observations and tips not included in the how-to handout:

-Use lots of cord. Extra when hanging and adjusting is nice. Probably the pros don't need this but I did.
-A large work area is required.
-Tie the extra cord around a stick when the assembly is complete and before moving to mount the shade; keeps the cord from disappearing up inside and causing a re-do.
-Make sure the hole for the mounting screws in the top rail lines up with the holes in the top shade's fabric; save a re-do. A couple of extra screws from the junk box inserted temporarily into the mounting holes will keep thing lined up until ready to mount. Using the actual mounting screws for this purpose is simply tempting Murphy to lose them on you.
-Some glue like Elmer's on the ends of the cord will keep it from unravelling and will make it easier to push it through the various holes.
-A large needle is useful when putting the cord through the pleats in the fabric.
-A rubber hammer helps in tapping the end caps back in place on the rails.
-Cord from the RV store was 14 cents a foot. Similar cord from a fabric store was a little cheaper (12 cents).
-A second pair of hands helps to keep the cord in the channel when re-assembling the rails; can be done with patience and tape but hands are better.
-Total time was 3 hours for one of the large living room 4-foot shades. The other eight-or-so hours was learning, re-doing, un-doing and cursing.
-Famous last words: I think I've got it figured out now.

Banjar 11-07-2007 03:30 PM

This must be a common job since the clerk at the RV dealer handed me a copy of the instructions when I bought the cord. I wanted to learn how to do this so I never considered changing out the shades for a different type. I will be considering that before the next repair.

Some observations and tips not included in the how-to handout:

-Use lots of cord. Extra when hanging and adjusting is nice. Probably the pros don't need this but I did.
-A large work area is required.
-Tie the extra cord around a stick when the assembly is complete and before moving to mount the shade; keeps the cord from disappearing up inside and causing a re-do.
-Make sure the hole for the mounting screws in the top rail lines up with the holes in the top shade's fabric; save a re-do. A couple of extra screws from the junk box inserted temporarily into the mounting holes will keep thing lined up until ready to mount. Using the actual mounting screws for this purpose is simply tempting Murphy to lose them on you.
-Some glue like Elmer's on the ends of the cord will keep it from unravelling and will make it easier to push it through the various holes.
-A large needle is useful when putting the cord through the pleats in the fabric.
-A rubber hammer helps in tapping the end caps back in place on the rails.
-Cord from the RV store was 14 cents a foot. Similar cord from a fabric store was a little cheaper (12 cents).
-A second pair of hands helps to keep the cord in the channel when re-assembling the rails; can be done with patience and tape but hands are better.
-Total time was 3 hours for one of the large living room 4-foot shades. The other eight-or-so hours was learning, re-doing, un-doing and cursing.
-Famous last words: I think I've got it figured out now.

KD4AO Bob 11-07-2007 03:36 PM

Congradulations, it is quite a job. I repaired two of mine and I know how much time it takes. I am no longer afraid of the job, just know to allow plenty of time and take on a large helping of patience.