iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   New Member Check-In (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f61/)
-   -   Sitting in TN at the moment (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f61/sitting-in-tn-at-the-moment-312426.html)

85WinChief31 10-13-2016 05:22 AM

Sitting in TN at the moment
 
Hi all. Picked up this here 1985 Winnebago Chieftain 31, Class A, Chevy Chassis, with a 454 gasoline eater in it ; a few months ago. Me and my wife's first Motor Home. We live in it now. Parked it in our daughters driveway to give it a really good once over before planning any real travel in it. Have the engine running very nice now. Now I need, being I'm that perfectionist type, information on plumbing, wiring, chassis, and all the little subsystems that my wife is going to expect me to keep operational. Any help would be appreciated and if can help anyone I will definitely jump in and help. Thanks

joeplazek 10-13-2016 05:23 AM

Just keep working on it. It will be on going.

Joe


Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
JOE PLAZEK

85WinChief31 10-13-2016 05:28 AM

Indeed. Will do.

George Schweikle 10-13-2016 05:49 AM

We had a 1983 Chieftain, and used it for 115,000 happy miles. It had a 454 carburetor engine, and when the fuel filter would become even slightly clogged, would hesitate when climbing slight grades. If you haven't found this filter yet, it's along the passenger side frame rail about halfway between the gas tank and engine. I used to carry a spare filter and got to where I could quickly change it in a parking lot.

Also (memory kinda fuzzy) had trouble with the engine-mounted mechanical fuel pump and my local shop replaced this with an electric pump.

MSHappyCampers 10-13-2016 09:11 AM

Hi ! :wavey: Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang! :dance:

Congrats on the new rig! I bet you'll have her in tip-top condition in no time at all! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless! :thumb::D

jmzumer 10-13-2016 03:56 PM

Welcome. That sounds like a big undertaking on your part, but it sounds like you're up for the challenge. Enjoy your travels.

powderman 10-13-2016 04:41 PM

I would suggest you get the model numbers off of each device such as A/C, furnace,refer, etc and go online to find manuals and diagrams for each. With that info there should be very little you can't troubleshoot and repair. :dance:

85WinChief31 10-14-2016 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Schweikle (Post 3292762)
We had a 1983 Chieftain, and used it for 115,000 happy miles. It had a 454 carburetor engine, and when the fuel filter would become even slightly clogged, would hesitate when climbing slight grades. If you haven't found this filter yet, it's along the passenger side frame rail about halfway between the gas tank and engine. I used to carry a spare filter and got to where I could quickly change it in a parking lot.

Also (memory kinda fuzzy) had trouble with the engine-mounted mechanical fuel pump and my local shop replaced this with an electric pump.

Yes this also has 454 and is carbureted. 4bbl Carb being brand new. Has only 66k miles on it. (For the moment). I will definitely note your information about the fuel filter and its location and mechanical fuel pump, which I do not know if it has been replaced yet or not. But i will put a note to have a look and see. I appreciate the information. Thank you.

Mike and Cha 10-14-2016 10:16 AM

Congrats, and good luck. You will be able to find most info needed either here or on the internet, to fix things that may arise. Do all the preventative maintenance you can, but don't try to fix things that aren't broke. You will find that things last a lot longer that way. Have many safe and happy travels.

85WinChief31 10-14-2016 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmzumer (Post 3293419)
Welcome. That sounds like a big undertaking on your part, but it sounds like you're up for the challenge. Enjoy your travels.

Thank you. Yes challenge. But i got this. Eventually.

85WinChief31 10-14-2016 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by powderman (Post 3293458)
I would suggest you get the model numbers off of each device such as A/C, furnace,refer, etc and go online to find manuals and diagrams for each. With that info there should be very little you can't troubleshoot and repair. :dance:

Thats basically where I'm at now. I'm making a list of all appliances, systems, etc. And making a book/library of everything I collect. And have started a maintenance log.
Finding manuals hasn't been one of my strong suits as of late. But I didn't think that finding manuals for a 1985 vehicle and equipment was going to be a cake walk either.

Thanks for reminding me though. I know what I have for the most part but I do have to get a list of serial/model numbers from everything preferably before it gets to cold. Thanks


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.