iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Newmar Owner's Forum (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/)
-   -   Discount off Factory Order Question (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/discount-off-factory-order-question-316023.html)

specmga1 11-08-2016 12:22 PM

Discount off Factory Order Question

We are about to start negotiating with several dealers for the purchase of a factory ordered 2017 Dutch Star. Should we expect the same discount off of the cost of the factory specials that we want? In other words, are the prices the factory gives the dealer for special requests, MSRP prices?

Thanks!

Luv2go 11-08-2016 12:35 PM

In a nutshell, yes, that is what I received. Of course each negotiation is different, so YMMV.

specmga1 11-08-2016 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luv2go (Post 3328788)
In a nutshell, yes, that is what I received. Of course each negotiation is different, so YMMV.

Of course. I just wanted to know if I should add the cost of the specials to the total of the build sheet prices and then negotiate.

Thanks!

fsudelt 11-08-2016 12:44 PM

Yes and you would also be wise to put out bids to multiple dealers. Sometimes it may be worth the drive or flight to purchase away from home depending where you live. Good luck in the purchase!

specmga1 11-08-2016 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fsudelt (Post 3328802)
Yes and you would also be wise to put out bids to multiple dealers. Sometimes it may be worth the drive or flight to purchase away from home depending where you live. Good luck in the purchase!

Thanks!

RJ51 11-08-2016 04:51 PM

I got the specials at dealer cost.

pilotspike 11-08-2016 05:56 PM

My dealership also gave them to me at cost.

ewlee 11-08-2016 06:39 PM

We had bids from four dealers. Three of them treated the specials as a pure "pass through" from Newmar @ dealer costs. The forth dealer, marked the specials up and then reduced the price by the same % as the markup. The result of the way the fourth dealer figured the selling price was that it appears to be a larger % off MSRP.

LK23 11-08-2016 06:56 PM

I requested quotes from 5 dealers for our 2017 Dutch Star without specials. The top three were within $1,000. I went with Midway RV Center in Grand Rapids, MI and the specials were priced at dealer cost.

glester99 11-14-2016 12:00 AM

Factory Specials ?

When you say " factory specials" could you give me an example of what you are talking about. I will be pricing a factory order this winter also.

ALSO does anyone have a ball park number "percent off list price" they will give you. If you are taking a factory delivery. Thanks

ewlee 11-14-2016 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glester99 (Post 3335174)
When you say " factory specials" could you give me an example of what you are talking about. I will be pricing a factory order this winter also.

ALSO does anyone have a ball park number "percent off list price" they will give you. If you are taking a factory delivery. Thanks

When you do a factory order (Vs. buying off dealer lot) you can change things and they are called "Specials". Specials cost less than you would think. For example, on our LADP we just ordered, we went with an Essex flooring, Essex counter tops, changed the back splash, added the Essex Navigation/radio plus passenger side slave nav, and changed exterior colors. We had 34 "specials". Even dealers will order specials on their floor units too. Midway does a lot with flooring and counter tops.

Your next question on % discount from MSRP is difficult to answer. How far are you willing to travel, are you taking factory delivery, do you have a trade, how long can you wait, does the dealer pass through the specials costs or do they mark-up, and will you put up with a lousy salesman for a little lower price.

We ditched the lowest price because of a rude salesman (would not talk to wife and was arrogant) and we ditched the highest price for same reason plus price. We ended up with a very nice and knowledgeable salesman who came close to the lowest price. The % off MSRP is a huge question because of how dealers figure the final numbers. If the dealer starts with an inflated MSRP then expect a larger % off, the important thing is the bottom line. You can expect 25 - 30 % in the end.

Good luck with your buying adventures.

JMonroe 11-14-2016 08:16 AM

We solicited 6 bids for what all were told up front would be a factory delivery. Only one dealer wanted to show "retail" on the specials and give us the same discount on that made up price as on the coach and regular options. Most passed the specials through at cost.

As for discount on a factory order, I'd expect 28 to 30%. A trade can complicate the numbers.

newmarpusher 11-14-2016 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ51 (Post 3329081)
I got the specials at dealer cost.

That was the same for me as well. After negotiating the price off MSRP of the normally optioned out unit, we added a few specials which were done at dealer cost.

Benicia Tom 11-14-2016 07:34 PM

We sent out bids and just got them back this weekend. The dealer that we are going with gave them to us at his cost. If you have the opportunity go back to Nappanee and sit down with Michelle to get your specials. You will be able to pretty much be able to customize it.:dance::dance: