iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   National RV Owner's Forum (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f105/)
-   -   How to CHANGE AC from BEDROOM to living room AC while plugged in. (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f105/how-to-change-ac-from-bedroom-to-living-room-ac-while-plugged-in-319082.html)

pieflsurfer 12-05-2016 02:25 PM

How to CHANGE AC from BEDROOM to living room AC while plugged in.

My wife is sick of the bedroom ac as the only one that works when parked and plugged in. Is there a way to switch to front living room ac without damaging anything? She's starting to get ornery! I don't mind sound of AC in front and it would probably cool my room better. Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Terry\651-728-2182

Gerryl 12-05-2016 02:39 PM

I guess I don't understand what your question is. Can't you just turn the rear AC thermostat off, turn the front AC on and adjust the vents? What coach do you have etc. :confused::confused:

MisterT 12-05-2016 02:48 PM

are you only on 30a service? or just a residential 20a outlet?

I'm not sure if we understand how your unit is designed - is it a 50a power cord unit?
usually 50a is required to run two a/c units at the same time, but you are asking whether you can use your FRONT unit instead of the REAR bedroom unit(?)

select55 12-05-2016 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pieflsurfer (Post 3361823)
My wife is sick of the bedroom ac as the only one that works when parked and plugged in. Is there a way to switch to front living room ac without damaging anything? She's starting to get ornery! I don't mind sound of AC in front and it would probably cool my room better. Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Terry\651-728-2182

never ever heard of such a thing ?Are you trying to tell us the front AC only works on the gen set and only the rear works on shore power?

RELHUB 12-05-2016 03:10 PM

I think I understand your question to be:
Can you switch Units ( Front to Back ) the simple answer is YES as long as the units are the same then yes you can switch the units.

They only have 4 bolts holding them in place and 2 plugs to undo.
You will also need a new GASKET, I paid $14.95 for one gasket.
However you will have to purchase two gaskets one for each unit.

When my AC failed they wanted $440.00 to fix my unit.
I purchased a BRAND NEW unit for $752.14 from Adventure RV.
I felt for me a Brand New unit with a 2 year warranty was better then fixing the failed unit and not knowing how long the repair would hold up.
I only tell you this so you know the cost of a new unit.

The next really important question is why is your front unit not working is it a wiring issue inside the MH? This will be a lot of work and I would hate for you to find out the problem is caused by something other then the AC unit itself.

Old-Biscuit 12-05-2016 03:20 PM

Turn AC Power source OFF

Open AC power panel
OPEN MAIN CBs on power panel
Locate/ID which circuit breaker is for front A/C Unit and one for Rear A/C Unit
OPEN the F/R CBS
Remove cover over Circuit Breakers

Disconnect wires on those 2 circuit breakers
Swap them ----one on other CB and other on other CB
Connect wires and make sure CB terminal screws are tight

Replace cover over CBs
Relabel CBs----Front now REAR, Rear now FRONT
Close F/R CBs
Close Main CBs on power panel
Turn AC shore power ON

Test run A/C Units

pieflsurfer 12-05-2016 06:13 PM

AC Switcher

I think Old Biscuit nailed it. That's what I was about to do but wanted to make sure.

It's a 30 amp system in a 2007 Surfside.

You guys are great! Thanks a Million.

I'll try the Old Biscuit suggestion and if I have problems I'll post back.

pieflsurfer 12-05-2016 06:16 PM

Yes. That's exactly what's going on. They both work fine with Generator running, but only bedroom AC works while plugged in. Weird but it's probably because 30amp can't handle all together but gen can.

pieflsurfer 12-06-2016 07:56 AM

Yes. That's exactly what's going on. They both work fine with Generator running, but only bedroom AC works while plugged in. Weird but it's probably because 30amp can't handle all together but gen can. WHEN I'M ATfriends I usually only have a 15 or 20 amp circuit to plug into. When I'm at parks I have 30 amps but it still function same way where only bedroom ac works. the only way both have ever worked is when I run the Generator.

pieflsurfer 12-06-2016 09:34 AM

Ladies & Gentlemen - Tried the ol Switcher - Don't Work

Humans

Tried to switch wire at 20 amp breakers and it still only runs the bedroom AC. Bizarre! If I had an electrical schematic I could find the control box where I could make the switch there. Any Ideas! Very Strange if I say so myself!

Thanks

pieflsurfer 12-06-2016 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit (Post 3361885)
Turn AC Power source OFF

Open AC power panel
OPEN MAIN CBs on power panel
Locate/ID which circuit breaker is for front A/C Unit and one for Rear A/C Unit
OPEN the F/R CBS
Remove cover over Circuit Breakers

Disconnect wires on those 2 circuit breakers
Swap them ----one on other CB and other on other CB
Connect wires and make sure CB terminal screws are tight

Replace cover over CBs
Relabel CBs----Front now REAR, Rear now FRONT
Close F/R CBs
Close Main CBs on power panel
Turn AC shore power ON

Test run A/C Units

Tried and still does the same. Need to find control box. Do you think it's at the Box on wall where the switch and thermostat is? NOT The Wall switch isn't the answer. Still Perplexed. Maybe it's the outside controller box by Generator. I'll check that.

select55 12-06-2016 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pieflsurfer (Post 3362090)
Yes. That's exactly what's going on. They both work fine with Generator running, but only bedroom AC works while plugged in. Weird but it's probably because 30amp can't handle all together but gen can.

this is so bizzare? the input gen power and the shore power all enter the MH at the same point ; Transfer switch: if this was 50 amp
However seeing as its only 30 amp the one AC unit must be wired directly through generator only. Need to find where this wire routing occurs although the situation may not be reversible
but rethinking what I just posted the fact you say you switched the breaker wires and it does the same thing really complicates my thinking process
and it must be wired through a relay system of sorts?

ARE you SURE theres not a switch somewhere that allows either one or both AC depending on power supply and usage???

fletch460 12-06-2016 10:02 AM

Mine is an older coach 30 amp. Over the stove is a front and rtear switch to sellect which unit to use. Bet you have the same, as on shore power you can run only one. With genny both.

photopilot 12-06-2016 10:17 AM

I'm with fletch on this one. There must be a switch somewhere. If not, I suppose you could locate and switch the control and sense wires on the control thermostat. I assume you've looked in your owner's manual. ;-)

Walt