iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Just Conversation (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f64/)
-   -   Bananas (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f64/bananas-319115.html)

WDW 12-05-2016 07:58 PM

Bananas

Do you wash your bananas once you bring them home from the store? Do they turn faster after washing them?

Taking in the sights with our Trolley ...but life is always better under a Palm Tree

2016 Coachmen Mirada 35 BH. - our Trolley
2015 Jeep Cherokee Latitude

Western New York

NLOVNIT 12-05-2016 08:15 PM

I wash ALL produce - you never know who's touched, coughed or sneezed on them.

Lori-

momdoc 12-06-2016 09:58 AM

Nope just grab one off the trees in the back yard (really I do) and eat them. Talk about fresh!

momdoc

ModestMonk 12-06-2016 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WDW (Post 3362149)
Do you wash your bananas once you bring them home from the store? Do they turn faster after washing them?

We bag them in the store, pulling them into the inside out bag. Rinse them at home. Set the green ones in the refrigerator and put some of the ripe ones in the fridge also to slow down the ripening.

Then we add them to our daily smoothies:dance:

Selah 12-06-2016 12:52 PM

Since I don't eat the banana peel, the answer is no.
Same with oranges.
Apples are a different story.

georgelesley 12-06-2016 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Selah (Post 3362983)
Same with oranges.

I guess I am of the same belief everything else we buy anywhere could also be contaminated but we don't wash canned goods, meat packaging, cereal boxes, etc, etc. BTW, DW does wash bananas, something we disagree on.

NLOVNIT 12-06-2016 01:11 PM

For me it's the issue of contaminates on the skin can be transferred to the inside fruit because I'm touching both the outside (skin) & inside (flesh) when peeling certain fruits. That rarely happens with canned goods, cereals..etc. Although I do wash off the top of a can, so the can opener blade doesn't transfer anything to the contents because it seems there's always some juice that oozes out when using one.

I know!... the media & internet have made me too paranoid. Ironic because, as a kid, I drank water out of a garden hose that came from a cistern (does anyone even know what that is anymore?) that I used to drop dead frogs/bugs..etc, down the hole in the stone slab covering it.

Lori-

Klc 12-06-2016 01:21 PM

Good topic. I also was not concerned with germs until I got older. I have never washed a banana, but I just might start. I do wash all other produce that I eat the skin. I may begin washing oranges, avocados, etc. from now on. I do bleach my cutting boards etc. Just trying to stay healthy and avoid medical bills.

MSHappyCampers 12-06-2016 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Selah (Post 3362983)
Same with oranges.

X2! :thumb::D

dix39 12-06-2016 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NLOVNIT (Post 3363005)
For me it's the issue of contaminates on the skin can be transferred to the inside fruit because I'm touching both the outside (skin) & inside (flesh) when peeling certain fruits. That rarely happens with canned goods, cereals..etc. Although I do wash off the top of a can, so the can opener blade doesn't transfer anything to the contents because it seems there's always some juice that oozes out when using one.

I know!... the media & internet have made me too paranoid. Ironic because, as a kid, I drank water out of a garden hose that came from a cistern (does anyone even know what that is anymore?) that I used to drop dead frogs/bugs..etc, down the hole in the stone slab covering it.

Lori-

Well, if you're paranoid so are we because we do the same things for the same reasons.

We had a huge cistern when I was a kid in WV, but the drinking water came from a spring. All of it had to be carried in buckets to the house and there was the "house out back" that was really "uncomfortable" in the winter.

Just my 2c.

Steve

monkey 12-11-2016 01:47 PM

washing,,, as in "rinsing" ???? Or a soap/bleach solution??? Just wondering... I'm getting older too... getting sick is no fun anymore.....

Hooligan 12-11-2016 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkey (Post 3369659)
washing,,, as in "rinsing" ???? Or a soap/bleach solution??? Just wondering... I'm getting older too... getting sick is no fun anymore.....

There is no way I will attempt to give 'monkey" instructions on eating a banana. You"re on your own..

charliej 12-11-2016 06:49 PM

My Mother always said, "you have to eat a peck of dirt before you die".

vsheetz 12-11-2016 06:56 PM

Stuff with an outer shell/peel/skin that I don't eat - no rinse. Otherwise, yes, rinse before enjoying. 63 and not dead, yet. (-: