iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   Using onboard water pump in cold weather (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/using-onboard-water-pump-in-cold-weather-319292.html)

revrick3 12-07-2016 01:07 PM

Using onboard water pump in cold weather

Still new and learning in our full time adventure. We will be facing some pretty cold weather in next few days and I will be disconnecting shore water and using tank water for several days. My question is when using onboard water fully and no shore water is it best to leave your water pump on all the time or cut it off and on when water is needed. Thanks for input all you guys.

GScherrer 12-07-2016 01:11 PM

Water

Depends on how cold it will be, I'd leave it on to move the water whenever the opportunity occurs. Main thing would be to make sure your furnace is on to keep the pipes unfrozen!!

revrick3 12-07-2016 01:13 PM

Will do that. Just wasn't sure about leaving the pump on all the time. Didn't know if it was standard procedure to just leave it on or cycle it on and off as needed. Didn't want to burn it up leaving it on.

les.warden 12-07-2016 01:21 PM

It should only run when water delivery is required, so it's basically the same as you cycling it. Just saves on pushing the button(s). [emoji846]

Woodchopper 12-07-2016 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by revrick3 (Post 3364354)
Still new and learning in our full time adventure. We will be facing some pretty cold weather in next few days and I will be disconnecting shore water and using tank water for several days. My question is when using onboard water fully and no shore water is it best to leave your water pump on all the time or cut it off and on when water is needed. Thanks for input all you guys.

revrick3
If you keep the the temperature of the water tank, the water lines and the water pump above 32 degrees F you can leave 12V power to the water pump ON all the time.

theroc 12-07-2016 01:37 PM

There should be no reason that you should "burn it up" by leaving it on. It is an "on demand" pump and theoretically only operates when water is being used unless there is a leak somewhere. The main reason there is an on/off switch is when you are connected to and using city water, you'd want to turn the switch to the pump off or it will also pull water from the fresh water tank when using water. I say, leave the switch to the pump on.

nothermark 12-07-2016 04:46 PM

You will also find that many of us turn the pump off when we don't expect to use it for a while. Maybe when we are leaving, maybe when we are going to bed. The reason is the same in both cases - if there is a leak then not much water is lost so much less mess. ;-)

theroc 12-07-2016 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nothermark (Post 3364635)
You will also find that many of us turn the pump off when we don't expect to use it for a while. Maybe when we are leaving, maybe when we are going to bed. The reason is the same in both cases - if there is a leak then not much water is lost so much less mess. ;-)

Yes, agree completely. If not on city water, we will definitely turn our switch to off when leaving and also at night. My answer was addressing the idea of turning the switch on and off each time water is used. I probably should have said, "just leave the switch on during the day when you're there."

Ray,IN 12-07-2016 10:54 PM

Another advantage to leaving the pump powered is, if you have a small,hidden leak, the pump will short-cycle every now and then, when not using water for anything, thereby making the leak known.
We do turn the pump off when we leave the RV, because I have personally known a fitting seal to fail while away from the RV. We also shut off external water supply when leaving the RV, for the same reason.

Gormleys 12-08-2016 08:21 AM

How are you doing in the arctic blast? Any water problems? How is your propane levels working with the furnace?

Give us an update on your experiences.

Woodchopper 12-08-2016 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nothermark (Post 3364635)

:thumb:
Many of us also turn off the campground/city water faucet off if/when we leave the coach for awhile.

owr 12-08-2016 08:38 AM

cold weather

Hi I just finished a week or two in 15 to 18 degree weather at night with no problem ... I used a heat tape on my water supply which connected in a pit and stayed warm enough to not freeze... I placed a small space heater in the basement and had no problems at all. The one thing I did do was pulled in the kitchen slide in at night because the water lines are exposed when it's out. It's pex so they say it won't burst but better safe than sorry. Other than that I had no issues.

phil

JDL 12-08-2016 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by owr (Post 3365350)
Hi I just finished a week or two in 15 to 18 degree weather at night with no problem ... I used a heat tape on my water supply which connected in a pit and stayed warm enough to not freeze... I placed a small space heater in the basement and had no problems at all. The one thing I did do was pulled in the kitchen slide in at night because the water lines are exposed when it's out. It's pex so they say it won't burst but better safe than sorry. Other than that I had no issues.

phil

A little common sense and effort go along way. :thumb: