iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   I need some help on an odor issue please! (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/i-need-some-help-on-an-odor-issue-please-323363.html)

Rocketman62 01-13-2017 10:31 AM

I need some help on an odor issue please!

I have a Newmar Ventana LE and my significant other left a hamburger patty in the freezer before we stored it. It was there for 3 months before we found it. The odor is as bad as you can imagine. We have scoured the freezer with all kinds of disinfectants, baking soda etc. We put several open boxes of baking soda in and left for a few weeks. We have placed activated charcoal odor eater in there. There has been only slight improvement thus far. The odor is thankfully contained in the freezer compartment and not in the motorhome at large. We have not opened it and opened windows and fans to aerate because I don't want the odor to contaminate the whole rig.

If we don't get this fixed I am going to have to replace the fridge freezer Norcold side by side and that will get expensive. If anybody out there has done something like this and had some success your help will be greatly appreciated! :blush:

Unplanned 01-13-2017 10:37 AM

We a forest fire go through North of us, and power was out for 2 weeks before the 5+ miles of power lines could be repaired. It was in the 90's so lots of fridges sat with rotting food! We just taped them up and scraped the whole works. No way to ever get the stink out!! Sorry about yours, hope you find a "cure" Good Luck. :flowers: Maybe someone has had same and can help??

mackwrench 01-13-2017 11:03 AM

Have a buddy in appliance biz, I have heard that wiping entire inside of fridge with straight bleach helps, wipe it all out, then use damp rag to wipe out, then wipe with straight bleach and let unit dry on its own...May take a few times

eprman1 01-13-2017 11:26 AM

Had the same problem a few years ago, but mine was a freezer full and a power outage. Used baking soda, white vinegar, a cleaner with febreeze (don't remember which) and some bleachy water and oxi-clean.
Used these in order a few times through and turned on the cold. Much less smell when cold. Every time I turned it off that summer, I went through the process again. After 4 or 5 times there was only a trace of the smell left. A few years later, it was probably 99% new. Good luck!!

billdreamlv 01-13-2017 11:33 AM

I wouldn't let a little microorganism get the best of my refrig. In order to solve the problem you need intel. The reason why the frig stinks is because the microorganisms are eating food and producing gas. Methane is one of the gasses. When they eat the food they, for lack of a better term, fart out gas. Technically, they break down the food and the byproduct is gas. If you get rid of the source of food you stop the breakdown and the subsequent gas. They live in moisture and on moist surfaces of the frig. Take everything in the refig and clean it including jars, packages, cartons etc. If it is really bad, throw everything away. But remove the food source including crumbs.

If you are worried about contaminating the rest of the coach and do not want to dry out the freezer, you will have the stink for a long time. Oxygen kills microorganisms.

My advice would be to open all the doors and windows in the coach, turn off the refig and open the freezer and let it air out. A fan blowing right in the freezer compartment will usually clear/kill the pesky things. Bleach is your friend. It will kill almost anything. Use is aggressively. The freezer has a built in fan that takes the air in the freezer and passes it over the coils and back to the freezer in a closed loop. Try and take apart the area where the fan is and spray bleach in the vents, coils, and on the fan itself.

These microorganisms are in everything. They are in our dirt, our air, our water, and just about everything. The problem is that you have too many of them and they are eating something and making a stink. After you get the refrig totally cleaned turn it on and the cold will slow the growth of the pests. Over time the freezer will start to clear up. Keep the baking soda in there and it will do the job over time. Change it out once every 3 months or so. The thing that protects you from microorganisms is not how clean your refrig is although (that helps), but how well you wash and cook your your food. Never leave your MH with the refrig off and the doors closed. Leave the doors open when you have your MH stored.

How do I know? I have 4 children with Biology degrees. Two of them are graduates from Notre Dame and three of them are doctors. I asked them.

katajami 01-13-2017 11:34 AM

Hello , you can try ,I will almost sure that'll work for it .the product for car Silver Wax do a spray can for eliminate cigarette odor do it then after wash frig with white vinegar and it will be like a new one

Unplanned 01-13-2017 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocketman62 (Post 3414835)
I have a Newmar Ventana LE and my significant other left a hamburger patty in the freezer before we stored it. It was there for 3 months before we found it. The odor is as bad as you can imagine. We have scoured the freezer with all kinds of disinfectants, baking soda etc. We put several open boxes of baking soda in and left for a few weeks. We have placed activated charcoal odor eater in there. There has been only slight improvement thus far. The odor is thankfully contained in the freezer compartment and not in the motorhome at large. We have not opened it and opened windows and fans to aerate because I don't want the odor to contaminate the whole rig.

If we don't get this fixed I am going to have to replace the fridge freezer Norcold side by side and that will get expensive. If anybody out there has done something like this and had some success your help will be greatly appreciated! :blush:

Time to switch to a res fridge?

bdpreece 01-13-2017 11:54 AM

Buy or rent a small ozone generator and place it in the frig.

eprman1 01-13-2017 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eprman1 (Post 3414891)
Had the same problem a few years ago, but mine was a freezer full and a power outage. Used baking soda, white vinegar, a cleaner with febreeze (don't remember which) and some bleachy water and oxi-clean.
Used these in order a few times through and turned on the cold. Much less smell when cold. Every time I turned it off that summer, I went through the process again. After 4 or 5 times there was only a trace of the smell left. A few years later, it was probably 99% new. Good luck!!

Oh - and dump the baking soda all over the bottom of the freezer. Use it like kitty litter. If there is any moisture in the seems, it will be soaked up.

theroc 01-13-2017 01:11 PM

Before renting an ozone generator which I'd assume would get rid of the problem, you may want to give one of the products that were suggested to me.

We let some shrimp and some other seafood rot in a cooler once. I was going to throw it out because of the horrible smell even after scouring it multiple times but a friend who is a retired fire fighter said "don't throw it out yet, let me give you something to try..." and he went and gave me a bottle of "OdoBan Professional Eucalyptus BioOdor Digester" --click. He claimed that many jurisdictions used a product from the same manufacturer to remove the "dead body" smell in certain circumstances. He cited two other products he heard are used in addition to the OdoBan product, something called "Noble Chemical Sani-512 Sanitizer / Disinfectant from Ecolab" --click and "BioBREAK multi-purpose deodorizer/digester" --click. The OdoBan product is more widely available and the one he gave me to try, however.

At any rate, I tried the OdoBan BioOdor Digester spray he gave me. First I sprayed it on the inside surfaces of the cooler. He noticed that I closed the lid. I presumed that would be a more effective manner to have the product work on the smell. He told me to leave the lid open to the fresh air. So I opened it up and sprayed some more. I left it for a day and washed it out. I could still smell a faint odor but it was much better than before. I sprayed again leaving the lid open and two days later, I again washed it out and the smell was just about gone ...or gone enough to where I figured I could use it.

The next time I used the cooler, I wiped down the surfaces with a cloth sprayed with the OdoBan digester spray and used the cooler for its intended purpose. I noticed after that use, the odor had all but disappeared.

From that experience, I'm guessing that it would be beneficial on the initial application to leave the freezer door OPEN so as to let the air circulate. With subsequent applications, you could possibly leave the door closed. It may take several applications to get the smell under control.

Or, it may not work at all in your circumstance, who knows? At least you may want to give it a try before replacing the entire refrigerator.

I notice you can get a spray bottle at Sam's Club for $3.08:

OdoBan Professional Eucalyptus BioOdor Digester

Dr4Film 01-13-2017 01:30 PM

During the hurricane in Florida my brothers fridge at his winter place was without power for 4 days. When we arrived in October to do repairs his fridge and freezer smelled horribly from some bait that he had left in the freezer.

Throwing the bait away took care of a majority of the odor but a significant amount was still lingering.

I told him to place tons of baking soda PLUS tons of used coffee grounds in both compartments.

When he returned last week all of the odor was gone.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Spade5 01-13-2017 02:24 PM

Bounce Dryer Sheets

If the cleaning methods previously suggested don't get rid of the odor then you might try Bounce Dryer Sheets.

They will absorb odor. I have used them in an older car when the carpet got damp (humid here in Houston with mildew aplenty) and they will usually take care of the smell.

I would crumple up a several so they are in kind of a ball which I think activates whatever chemical is in them and close the freezer. You might have to do it several times with a couple of days in between.

May not do anything but it doesn't cost much to try and it won't hurt anything.

Chargerman 01-13-2017 07:14 PM

Put kitty litter and some activated charcoal in a pie plate in the freezer and turn the unit on for at least 4 days. Also, if it persists spray winder on all interior surfaces and fill the unit with crumpled newspaper. Close the door and let the newspaper absorb the moisture for a few days with the unit off. The odors should be absorbed also

Good luck!

Tetonchief 01-13-2017 07:59 PM

Try a small ultra-violet light--it kills germs. I was a flight steward and we put a filter bag of coffee grounds in all our refrigerators when we put the jet to bed between missions. Sometimes it could be 2 weeks til we used that jet again and the coffeee grounds worked super!