iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Full-Timers (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f92/)
-   -   How old is too old to start Full Timing? (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f92/how-old-is-too-old-to-start-full-timing-328245.html)

Bill98116 02-23-2017 05:56 PM

How old is too old to start Full Timing?

We've been RVing for some years now. Have run the gamut on RV's from 42' class A, a toy hauler, class C and now a 5th wheel. We stayed in the class A for about 3 years. I wouldn't categorize us as full timers even then because we knew we were going to get a house at some point. We just traveled, staying in one place or another for a matter of months or sometimes just a few weeks. We just moved about at our will, going when and where we wanted, no strings. My wife still works. She has an accounting business that she can do over the internet (sure helps with the bills!). Right now we live in a house in Vegas, which we really like. BUT, now there are grandchildren in Texas who the wife wants to spend more time with. For the past three years we've been going back for the holidays (November through January) staying in our 5th wheel. That works out fine except for those 3 months we are paying for a house that is sitting empty, an RV and an RV site as well. I keep thinking of selling the house and going full time RVing. We can see the grand kids when we want and travel and not have to pay for house, RV and camp site. It's a hard sell going full timing to the wife. She says we're too old, I'm 69. I say yes I'm 69 but still healthy. I'd like to continue to travel for a few more years while I am still healthy. I'm too young and not yet ready to retire to a rocking chair and rock myself to death. So, how old is too old?

JohnBoyToo 02-23-2017 06:06 PM

you WERE full timing and how did she like it ?

only as old as you feel - if you feel it, go for it - the 4 worst words in the English language are:
"I wish I had"

I would start NOW, but the wife won't have it (YET :) )

Unplanned 02-23-2017 06:32 PM

Why not just buy a "lock and leave" place? Then you can travel as much as your wife is happy with, and still have your home base. HWHL :flowers:

Mr_D 02-23-2017 06:42 PM

Don't know, I'm 70 and hope to go full time next year.

twogypsies 02-23-2017 07:34 PM

Nope. You're not too old.

Now that the grandkids are in Texas, is there a special reason you want to stay in Vegas?

Sell it, invest the money and do your traveling. When you want to settle down again you'll probably want a smaller house than you have now and there may even be a possibility that you might locate nearer the grandkids.

saddlesore 02-23-2017 07:41 PM

How old is too old to go full timing?....... A month after you quit breathing would be my guess.......

tizzyfit 02-23-2017 07:44 PM

As long as you are both mentally and physically able, you're not too old.

bdpreece 02-23-2017 07:54 PM

Tomorrow!!

So do it today!!!!

mfire1339 02-23-2017 08:18 PM

We love RVing but would never let go of Home Base. We live in So Cal. and are away from home 2 weeks out 4 most of the year. I'm 71 and see doc's every couple months and don't want to change doc's. Too many great memories here.

Don't tell anyone but, I can surf, trout-fish, and ski or snowboard in an hour. Give that up?

NOT!

Mike

johnhicks 02-23-2017 08:47 PM

You're too old when you're pushing up daiseys.

JFXG 02-23-2017 11:50 PM

If you're thinking about it, and asking the question, you're not too old.

DW turned 70 recently, I'll hit it next year. We've both got the odd medical issues, but they're manageable.

Arch Hoagland 02-24-2017 12:26 AM

You could rent the house out for a year or two as you check out fulltiming. That way if you don't like it you have something to fall back on.

Real estate is slowly growing again so it might pay to do that as the house would likely go up in value. Of course renting brings in another set of problems.

I just turned 72 and my philosophy is keep active and do what you want to do while you are still healthy enough to enjoy it.

momdoc 02-24-2017 08:07 AM

When you lose the spark of life, your sense of adventure or when your plug is pulled

momdoc

affreeman 02-24-2017 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill98116 (Post 3473011)
We've been RVing for some years now. Have run the gamut on RV's from 42' class A, a toy hauler, class C and now a 5th wheel. We stayed in the class A for about 3 years. I wouldn't categorize us as full timers even then because we knew we were going to get a house at some point. We just traveled, staying in one place or another for a matter of months or sometimes just a few weeks. We just moved about at our will, going when and where we wanted, no strings. My wife still works. She has an accounting business that she can do over the internet (sure helps with the bills!). Right now we live in a house in Vegas, which we really like. BUT, now there are grandchildren in Texas who the wife wants to spend more time with. For the past three years we've been going back for the holidays (November through January) staying in our 5th wheel. That works out fine except for those 3 months we are paying for a house that is sitting empty, an RV and an RV site as well. I keep thinking of selling the house and going full time RVing. We can see the grand kids when we want and travel and not have to pay for house, RV and camp site. It's a hard sell going full timing to the wife. She says we're too old, I'm 69. I say yes I'm 69 but still healthy. I'd like to continue to travel for a few more years while I am still healthy. I'm too young and not yet ready to retire to a rocking chair and rock myself to death. So, how old is too old?

If it's the idea of not having a home that bothers your wife, I'd suggest selling the house and getting a condo you both like and can see yourself living in. Then rent the condo out and "go RVing for a few years," just like you did previously. When you've had enough, come back to your condo.