iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Travel Trailer Discussion (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   Took flex out of shower pan-carefully! (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f50/took-flex-out-of-shower-pan-carefully-333555.html)

Reevesfamily 04-02-2017 06:34 PM

Took flex out of shower pan-carefully!
 
Love our new camper but now after several trips we've found a few items that we've repaired and upgraded. Most recent is the shower pan. Nice big shower but I am a big guy (285) and the pan flexed much more than I was comfortable with knowing how these units are made. My shower pan had only 4 small pieces of scrap wood holding up the middle of the pan, and one end of the pan was resting on the drain pipe so it flexed also when the pan flexed. So I have opened the small access hole, made it just a bit larger, and cut 8 pieces of 2x4 just the right size to span the space between the bottom of the pan between the plywood pan base and the floor. Slid them in and then sprayed Great Stuff sparingly around the bases of the supports. Seemed very solid but still a bit of flex around the drain area of the Pan because I couldn't get a support there because of how the pan is made. There is no plywood base under the drain area, it's how the pans are made. So I again sprayed Great Stuff under the pan, remembering that it expands big time, but putting enough down so it would expand at least to fill the space between the floor and the bottom of the pan when it cured. I've used this stuff a lot over the years so am pretty comfortable with how it works. Checked the pan today after 24 hours and it has cured perfectly bridging the gap in the critical areas where the flex was. Flex is gone, pan is solid and I am happy with it. After replacing the tub in our Trail Cruiser with a full shower a few years ago I knew I wouldn't be comfortable unless the plan was solid. I had mounted the pan for the Trail Cruiser directly on a solid 2x4 base that I screwed to the floor so there was no flex. If any of you out there haven't looked underneath your shower or tub to see what little support is there from the factory and how poorly these units are put together you may want to check it out. Flex in these pans and tubs will create a crack and leak quicker than you may imagine. Be very careful with the Great Stuff and remember that it expands to about 6 times it's volume or more when curing so don't put too much down there or it will lift your pan! Hope this helps someone avoid a shower or tub crack and subsequently a big repair job.

Power247 04-03-2017 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reevesfamily (Post 3531032)
Love our new camper but now after several trips we've found a few items that we've repaired and upgraded. Most recent is the shower pan. Nice big shower but I am a big guy (285) and the pan flexed much more than I was comfortable with knowing how these units are made. My shower pan had only 4 small pieces of scrap wood holding up the middle of the pan, and one end of the pan was resting on the drain pipe so it flexed also when the pan flexed. So I have opened the small access hole, made it just a bit larger, and cut 8 pieces of 2x4 just the right size to span the space between the bottom of the pan between the plywood pan base and the floor. Slid them in and then sprayed Great Stuff sparingly around the bases of the supports. Seemed very solid but still a bit of flex around the drain area of the Pan because I couldn't get a support there because of how the pan is made. There is no plywood base under the drain area, it's how the pans are made. So I again sprayed Great Stuff under the pan, remembering that it expands big time, but putting enough down so it would expand at least to fill the space between the floor and the bottom of the pan when it cured. I've used this stuff a lot over the years so am pretty comfortable with how it works. Checked the pan today after 24 hours and it has cured perfectly bridging the gap in the critical areas where the flex was. Flex is gone, pan is solid and I am happy with it. After replacing the tub in our Trail Cruiser with a full shower a few years ago I knew I wouldn't be comfortable unless the plan was solid. I had mounted the pan for the Trail Cruiser directly on a solid 2x4 base that I screwed to the floor so there was no flex. If any of you out there haven't looked underneath your shower or tub to see what little support is there from the factory and how poorly these units are put together you may want to check it out. Flex in these pans and tubs will create a crack and leak quicker than you may imagine. Be very careful with the Great Stuff and remember that it expands to about 6 times it's volume or more when curing so don't put too much down there or it will lift your pan! Hope this helps someone avoid a shower or tub crack and subsequently a big repair job.

Thanks for this reminder! I need to this same project before camping season starts back up.

lynnmor 04-03-2017 07:24 AM

My shower was supported poorly as well and the shower drain was cracked. I have plumbing, wiring and heating ducts under the shower, so I made the support pieces easily removable with a few screws. Working thru that small hole is like brain surgery.

tuffr2 04-03-2017 07:50 AM

Good idea. Can you post a pic. How did you repair the thin fiberglass cutout? I think this is a very common problem with camping trailers. The 1st trailer I bought the shower base was really flimsy. I could really feel what felt like blocks of 2 x 4. The next two trailers were much much better.

Another problem - I used to run a gym. There was a scale and weight chart. The chart was by height then weight. A man 6' 4", big frame should weigh 195 lbs. A man, big frame 5' 8" should weigh 150 lbs.

I am striving for 165 lbs. It is not easy but still got to strive to keep the weight (fat) off.

Good luck

Now these are healthy weights and best to try better to maintain healthy weight.

lynnmor 04-03-2017 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tuffr2 (Post 3531694)
Good idea. Can you post a pic. How did you repair the thin fiberglass cutout? I think this is a very common problem with camping trailers. The 1st trailer I bought the shower base was really flimsy. I could really feel what felt like blocks of 2 x 4.

I had the drain pipes cracked because they would take the weight when the shower pan flexed down. The pan never cracked and I doubt there is a good repair besides replacement.

http://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...a3831ad5a4.jpg

http://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...2c9e2bfc45.jpg

Pricejh 04-03-2017 10:26 AM

We had a very similar issue in a sticks & bricks several years ago. The flexing cracked the drain pipe. After replacing the pipe I filled the void with Great Stuff NONEXPANDING. Foam. There are two types of GreatStuff. For this type application use nonexpanding foam. It will expand SLIGHTLY. Regular will expand 6 times.

Texastbird 04-03-2017 11:02 AM

I was very careful whenever I got in our shower, I wish I had seen your fix a few years ago.

IC2 04-07-2017 06:44 AM

Good fix. Now, if I could only reach under there without dismantling half of the trailer .... but may give it a try from the basement of our 5er by hole sawing a few places then use the Great Stuff.

Pricejh 04-07-2017 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IC2 (Post 3538224)
Good fix. Now, if I could only reach under there without dismantling half of the trailer .... but may give it a try from the basement of our 5er by hole sawing a few places then use the Great Stuff.



Use the non expanding foam.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.