iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/)
-   -   Brake Rotors Hairline Cracks.. (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/brake-rotors-hairline-cracks-349835.html)

Destination 07-16-2017 03:04 PM

Brake Rotors Hairline Cracks..
 
Had a good luck at the rear Rotas and on the outside pad face there seems to be hair line Cracks right in centre line of where the pads run.

So is it a fit new pair ASAP.

Dav L 07-16-2017 03:31 PM

Probably due to overheat / too many heat cycles.

Time for new rotors and pads!

TeJay 07-16-2017 09:07 PM

You did not tell us where you were when you discovered the cracks. Dav L is correct inhis assessment. They need to be replaced.

I just want to let you know that it is not an immediate emergency. You have time so don't rush home or rush to get it done. Do your research as far as new rotors and pads.

This is a truck and you know that. There are differences in the quality of metal used in replacement rotors. Don't just search for the best price. The same is true for pads.


I don't know your background or repair expertise so if I insult your intelligence it was no my plan.

Go to several truck repair facilities and talk to the service manager and see if he can recommend a rotor or pad. What do they use?? If you find a semi truck repair facility that also services things like ambulances and delivery trucks based on the F-53 chassis. Those trucks are not making $$$$ if they are setting in a shop or if they require constant repairs because the shop does not fix it correctly. Those shops won't stay in business. Consequently they will use good parts that are of decent quality.

Destination 07-17-2017 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeJay (Post 3702933)
You did not tell us where you were when you discovered the cracks. Dav L is correct inhis assessment. They need to be replaced.

I just want to let you know that it is not an immediate emergency. You have time so don't rush home or rush to get it done. Do your research as far as new rotors and pads.

This is a truck and you know that. There are differences in the quality of metal used in replacement rotors. Don't just search for the best price. The same is true for pads.


I don't know your background or repair expertise so if I insult your intelligence it was no my plan.

Go to several truck repair facilities and talk to the service manager and see if he can recommend a rotor or pad. What do they use?? If you find a semi truck repair facility that also services things like ambulances and delivery trucks based on the F-53 chassis. Those trucks are not making $$$$ if they are setting in a shop or if they require constant repairs because the shop does not fix it correctly. Those shops won't stay in business. Consequently they will use good parts that are of decent quality.


Thanks you
We are in the UK so F53 American Service Garages are well not here. We would buy from Rockauto as they ship to UK and will go for OE speck on Rotas.
Just a shame that the Shipping is twice the price of the parts , then it's the dreaded import tax and vat to add at this end.

It's the rears which we will change first, which is the more evasive end to do and then set up.

Philswrench 07-17-2017 06:13 AM

Brake Rotors Hairline Cracks..
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Destination (Post 3703270)
Thanks you

We are in the UK so F53 American Service Garages are well not here. We would buy from Rockauto as they ship to UK and will go for OE speck on Rotas.

Just a shame that the Shipping is twice the price of the parts , then it's the dreaded import tax and vat to add at this end.



It's the rears which we will change first, which is the more evasive end to do and then set up.



Have one of your local mechanics measure the thickness of your rotors,it has a minimum thickness as long as you stay .30 thousand above that you are ok, those little cracks are from heat they will machine out, depending on the rotor thickness, if you can give me the year of you coach I can give you the specs

Dav L 07-17-2017 06:16 AM

These are heavy rotors...no doubt the shipping would be the same as the price of the part to the UK.

I have always been surprised at the relatively modest cost these rotors are considering the weight.

You might want to add brake fluid flush to your service.

If you can't have the RV down due to parts not available locally, you might want to pull the wheels and see if the caliper pistons are not frozen. If they are, you want to add new calipers to your parts order.

To do so, take a screwdriver the try to push the pads apart (try not to damage the friction material with the screwdriver). If they loosen, then they are likely not frozen.

You might want to see if the bleeder screw can be opened in case that too is frozen.

You have to wonder why the rotors are cracking...overheat...frozen calipers....makes you think...

Destination 07-17-2017 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dav L (Post 3703320)
These are heavy rotors...no doubt the shipping would be the same as the price of the part to the UK.

I have always been surprised at the relatively modest cost these rotors are considering the weight.

You might want to add brake fluid flush to your service.

If you can't have the RV down due to parts not available locally, you might want to pull the wheels and see if the caliper pistons are not frozen. If they are, you want to add new calipers to your parts order.

To do so, take a screwdriver the try to push the pads apart (try not to damage the friction material with the screwdriver). If they loosen, then they are likely not frozen.

You might want to see if the bleeder screw can be opened in case that too is frozen.

You have to wonder why the rotors are cracking...overheat...frozen calipers....makes you think...


Calipers ect have been cleaned all round and new pads in rear, That is how I noticed the marks on the rotas.
Also had a full fluid change at same time.

tderonne 07-17-2017 02:08 PM

Have a picture? Some hairline cracks are normal. They are not very deep and do no harm.

BarryG20 07-17-2017 03:52 PM

As tederonne stated hairlines cracks are pretty normal just heat checking. They will turn out however I haven't turned a rotor in over 40 years. I run them until they get close to the min thickness then replace them. I have had a caliper freeze which in fairly short order trashed the pad and then started going into the rotor which required a replacement(well 2, if one rotor gets replaced I change both on that axle so they are the same and I do same with calipers) there was no turning that thing back into usable shape.

Philswrench 07-17-2017 05:39 PM

Minimum machine thickness is 28mm or 1".120 and lug nut torque is 140 ft.lbs.

AITG 07-17-2017 08:24 PM

Cracks on the face are not particularly serious. Cracks that extend out to the edge of the rotor should be out of service.

Destination 07-18-2017 02:01 PM

Hoping to get wheels balanced next week , so will try and get some pics of the discs (Roras)


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.