iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   iRV2.com General Discussion (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/)
-   -   What is the best GPS for my Class C rv??? (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/what-is-the-best-gps-for-my-class-c-rv-352961.html)

trooper bear 08-04-2017 06:39 AM

What is the best GPS for my Class C rv???

I would like to know what is the best gps for my class c rv. I'm getting ready to go on a 5 state trip and don't have one and want to make sure I get on the right roads for my rig. I would also like to know what is the best wi-fi booster. Can you give me some advice please. Thanks

WorldCat25 08-04-2017 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trooper bear (Post 3734754)
I would like to know what is the best gps for my class c rv. I'm getting ready to go on a 5 state trip and don't have one and want to make sure I get on the right roads for my rig. I would also like to know what is the best wi-fi booster. Can you give me some advice please. Thanks

My suggestion on GPS - Garmin 770 for RVs. Customize to your size. Lots of RV information.

imUrlaub 08-04-2017 08:05 AM

The one that works for you. That sounds glib, but honestly what works for one person may not suit you at all. Besides, everyone has their version of the "best." Having said that, look for customer satisfaction reports. When things go wrong what kind of support did folks experience. Garmin makes good devices and on the whole supports their customer base very well. At least that is what I have discovered and heard. There are lots of models to choose from with many price points depending on what kind of information you want it to give you including side roads or points of interest and access along your journey.

les.warden 08-04-2017 08:24 AM

RV770 [emoji106]

Alan24601 08-04-2017 08:36 AM

RV770, bought this one in May and it worked very well except for a false low clearance alarm by Lake Tahoe.

Pricejh 08-04-2017 09:21 AM

I have an "older" Garman Diezl 760. Very similar to the RV770. Love it. Added the back up camera and it works sweetly.

Hgrace56 08-04-2017 10:39 AM

I've had the Rand McNally Tab 8 for almost 2 years and love it

JMonroe 08-04-2017 11:04 AM

Had a Rand M 7710, really liked it. After 6 years it died, no doubt precipitated by a fall to the tile floor. Options where we were at the time we're limited and we ended up with the Garmin 770. Don't like it at all.

Nowhere as intuitive to use and the directions/manual leave a lot to be desired. Battery lasts maybe 10 minutes so it has to always be plugged in. I like to do my programming sitting in front of my computer at the dinning room table but the only power cord that comes with it needs a 12v recepticle. The Rand continuously displayed information I found useful, like current mile marker location, current time (as well as eta), the town/city and county we were currently in and the next TWO turns with direction.

The routing on the 770 drives me crazy too. In a couple of instances while out west ( we just got back from a 3 month 7k mile trip) it was trying to take us on some circuitous route way out of our way to get back onto the freeway when I could see an easy access ramp just down the frontage road.

A number of times when routing us "she" would instruct us to turn onto "such & such" named street, out in the middle if nowhere when there were no identifying street signs that corresponded to her instructions. There were nice big signs with a highway number, however. Now I suspect if you followed that road to the nearest town you might find a street sign with the name she gave us, totally useless outside the town.

These are just what I can think of off the top of my head. Unfortunately Camping World won't take it back once it's out of the box (I told you our options were limited) so this gets chalked up as an expensive mistake, one I'll be rectifying sooner rather than later.

pasdad1 08-04-2017 11:22 AM

A class C at 26 feet long isn't that big or tall. You might not get that much benefit from a specific "RV" model, since you don't really violate many height or weight restrictions. You could look at the regular Garmin models sold for cars.

Of course your smart phone or cellular tablet also serves as a backup GPS device. Many people not trusting the routing by a GPS also like to look at the route visually on google maps or google earth to verify.

Noelj 08-04-2017 12:13 PM

Since Google is the only company doing active updating on roads and maps any more, there lies your best options. None of the GPS systems have decent routing hardware, its is all "shortest" or "Fastest". There is nothing for "most logical" or Best way". About all they can do is tell you about where you are, and that is not too good either. Looks like about the best choice is "CoPilot for RVs", but it has its own set of problems. The Rand trucker units are also supposed to be pretty good, and are in use by a lot of OTR truckers, but are designed and programed more for that market.

Cat320 08-04-2017 04:26 PM

I use the basic Garmin Sams carries. You need to know basically where you are going before you leave the house. Never had the need for an "RV" GPS.

Jeffcarp 08-10-2017 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noelj (Post 3735294)
Since Google is the only company doing active updating on roads and maps any more, there lies your best options. None of the GPS systems have decent routing hardware, its is all "shortest" or "Fastest". There is nothing for "most logical" or Best way". About all they can do is tell you about where you are, and that is not too good either. Looks like about the best choice is "CoPilot for RVs", but it has its own set of problems. The Rand trucker units are also supposed to be pretty good, and are in use by a lot of OTR truckers, but are designed and programed more for that market.

With respect, that isn't accurate. HERE and TomTom both have in-house active map development. Waze and OpenStreetMap also have their own map development operations. Apple is also developing their own map.

No GPS uses most logical or best way because there is no such thing. Those are subjective opinions.

Garmin, Rand McNally and Magellan all use HERE Maps. TomTom uses their own maps in their own devices. CoPilot uses their own and they're horrible maps. Sygic uses HERE for their RV app and TomTom for their car app. Only SmartRVRoute uses Google.

In my opinion, the best options on the market today are those products that have high speed data traffic sources (either HD Radio antennas, Bluetooth connections to your phone or WiFi). Knowing current traffic conditions down to the city street level is important with all of the road congestion today. You also want to look for products that have maps that contain historical traffic databases. These maps break every road into short segments and know the real flow speed of that segment in 15 minute intervals of time. This provides for predictive routes based on traffic flow such as rush hours etc.

ThePowells 08-10-2017 10:28 PM

There is a thread below trashing CoachNet. You may want to find out what that GPS was and stay away from it. Those directions caused somebody to end up a couple of hundred feet into a plowed field on a motorcycle.

Scarab0088 08-10-2017 10:36 PM

Rand McNally 7730LM or 7735 from GoodSam:thumb:

It has the best price for a 7"screen (big difference for the eyes), is filled with RV specific content, has free lifetime map upgrades, and is WiFi capable to load and overlay weather on-screen.

We have two of these (one legacy model) and love 'em.

Best luck