iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Newmar Owner's Forum (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/)
-   -   Slide-out rubber gasket (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/slide-out-rubber-gasket-364216.html)

enjoyrv 10-18-2017 05:02 PM

Slide-out rubber gasket
 
1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 180298.

The rubber gasket on the passenger front slide does not seal tightly on the top of the slide like it should. It looks like a metal strip holds it in place on the two sides as well as top. Factory replaced in 2 hrs once before. Anyone ever done it? How big of job?. Not easy access from inside. Any recommendations on Newmar dealer Service in Phoenix or Tucson?
2010 Dutch Aire

balvert 10-20-2017 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enjoyrv (Post 3857445)
Attachment 180298.

The rubber gasket on the passenger front slide does not seal tightly on the top of the slide like it should. It looks like a metal strip holds it in place on the two sides as well as top. Factory replaced in 2 hrs once before. Anyone ever done it? How big of job?. Not easy access from inside. Any recommendations on Newmar dealer Service in Phoenix or Tucson?
2010 Dutch Aire

I replaced the slide rubbers on both my living area slides on our 2008 Kountry Aire fifth wheel. The biggest part of the job is cleaning off the adhesive left behind when removing the old rubber. And you need to be meticulous in cleaning off the old adhesive and rubber. The surface for the adhesive strip on the new seal needs a clean and dry surface or you will end up with water getting behind the seal and destroying the clips. Then you will end up replacing the seal again. You need to run the slide out part way in order to do this. The rubber seal is attached to the slide opening frame by spring clips integrated into the seal. The seal is pushed onto the opening frame edge and takes quite a bit of strength to do it. Not a lot of room to get your hand in there to pull it into the edge, especially if you have a bad case of arthritis as I do. Use the old seal as a guide for cutting the seal edge to go into the corners. Once you have the seal well seated on the opening frame the tape is removed from the self adhesive edge and I used a narrow steel roller to attached the strip to the frame. Each seal took me six hours and four of that was taken up to clean off the old adhesive. I used Rapid Remover adhesive remover and it a tedious job. I then ran a bead of silicone around the edge of the seal to ensure that the installation was water tight. These seals fail because water gets past the adhesive strip and rusts the steel spring clips causing them to let go. Like a zipper opening. Good luck. It is a hard job.

"007" 10-20-2017 08:47 PM

Thanks for the answer balvert good to see we have some active mobile trailer owners left on forum, we do have a group but they must be out enjoying their 5th's.:dance: :cool:
Will be placing your answer in PROBLEM SOLVERS in QT's # 3.

enjoyrv 10-20-2017 08:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 180529
Attachment 180530

Thanks for reply. Here is what mine looks like. Phillip Screws every 8Ē or so from the outside and protruding on the inside. It looks like screws go through a metal stripe on outside and inside that keep rubber in place ( rubber seal also comes with a glued edge as you say that goes against slide wall.). Maybe yours is the same as mine and I donít need to take the screws and metal stripes off.

Arizona Lizards 10-20-2017 09:05 PM

We use and recommend Freedom RV on Irvington Road in Tucson. They have a really good and highly rated (by Newmar) service.

enjoyrv 10-20-2017 09:08 PM

Balvert. Did the adhesive stripe on the new rubber seal attach to the outside of the slide or the inside? If on the outside, I might be able to loosen the screws a bit to make it easier to get the out one out and the new one in place.

balvert 10-21-2017 05:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by enjoyrv (Post 3861161)
Balvert. Did the adhesive stripe on the new rubber seal attach to the outside of the slide or the inside? If on the outside, I might be able to loosen the screws a bit to make it easier to get the out one out and the new one in place.

I think Newmar has been using the same seal for many years. The adhesive strip is on the outer perimeter of the seal and it is outside. It acts as water barrier to keep water from getting behind the seal. The screws you are seeing are not holding the seal in place. I believe these screws hold the inner slide frame to the outer slide frame. The only thing holding the seal are the seal’s built in clips and the adhesive strip. Both are built into the seal. Your seal looks the same as mine. This is not a job for the faint of heart but it can be done if you are handy. Regardless of who does the job, the long term success or failure depends on how thoroughly the old seal is removed. Please note that there are screws installed outside holding the seal adhesive strip flat in the corners only. Two for each upper corner.

The attached photo is of a piece of the seal that I installed. The red tape covers the adhesive strip and the metal clips are visible.

enjoyrv 10-21-2017 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arizona Lizards (Post 3861157)
We use and recommend Freedom RV on Irvington Road in Tucson. They have a really good and highly rated (by Newmar) service.



Thank you for recommendation.

enjoyrv 10-21-2017 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by balvert (Post 3861402)
I think Newmar has been using the same seal for many years. The adhesive strip is on the outer perimeter of the seal and it is outside. It acts as water barrier to keep water from getting behind the seal. The screws you are seeing are not holding the seal in place. I believe these screws hold the inner slide frame to the outer slide frame. The only thing holding the seal are the sealís built in clips and the adhesive strip. Both are built into the seal. Your seal looks the same as mine. This is not a job for the faint of heart but it can be done if you are handy. Regardless of who does the job, the long term success or failure depends on how thoroughly the old seal is removed. Please note that there are screws installed outside holding the seal adhesive strip flat in the corners only. Two for each upper corner.

The attached photo is of a piece of the seal that I installed. The red tape covers the adhesive strip and the metal clips are visible.


Thank you for a thorough explanation and the picture. I now understand how it is put together. Before I order the seal, I had better inspect the other slides too. You have been a great help. Thank you again.

balvert 10-21-2017 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enjoyrv (Post 3861590)
Thank you for a thorough explanation and the picture. I now understand how it is put together. Before I order the seal, I had better inspect the other slides too. You have been a great help. Thank you again.

Good idea to check the other seals. Easy to identify a failed seal. Get it over and done with. UniGrip is the supplier for most slide seals. They make the seal that Newmar uses and were a bit cheaper than Newmar. Good luck. Casey

enjoyrv 10-21-2017 03:52 PM

All other seals looked good.

balvert 10-21-2017 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enjoyrv (Post 3861590)
Thank you for a thorough explanation and the picture. I now understand how it is put together. Before I order the seal, I had better inspect the other slides too. You have been a great help. Thank you again.

Good idea to check the other seals. Easy to identify a failed seal. Get it over and done with. UniGrip is the supplier for most slide seals. They make the seal that Newmar uses and were a bit cheaper than Newmar. Good luck. Casey

101stveteran 10-21-2017 06:24 PM

Did the bedroom seal on our 16 dutchstar. Job is tedious and definitely sucks along the top edge.

enjoyrv 10-21-2017 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 101stveteran (Post 3862413)
Did the bedroom seal on our 16 dutchstar. Job is tedious and definitely sucks along the top edge.



Looks like the top will be much more difficult than side. Thankfully I do t have a slide out topper to remove.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.