iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Tiffin Owner's Forum (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f106/)
-   -   Wingard Connect (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f106/wingard-connect-365852.html)

Bulldog57 10-30-2017 06:39 AM

Wingard Connect

Is it worth the $895 to have installed?

vsheetz 10-30-2017 06:48 AM

I like the packaging. I don't like: the price, if cellular version only carrier option is at&t, the rigid antennas (likely to be damaged by limbs, etc.). I think there are better alternatives for the same or less money.

If you have cellular hotspot with ample/unlimited data, I think you will find you seldom use wifi booster.

flywithcoop 10-30-2017 08:02 AM

I changed At&T U verse to directv in April so I could get satellite in the MH. At the same time I changed my cell and home connections. No longer had a package. Now I DON'T have a wifi hot spot on my phone because I changed to the unlimited plan. You can only get the AT&T hot spot with a limited plan. Also I cannot tether anything to my phone due to unlimited. I can stream directv on my phone but can't connect phone to my TV or laptop. AT&T will get you anyway they can. Also they now limit my home data to 1Terabite. Was unlimited before I changed to new service. Can't binge watch netflix, hulu, etc. And with directv at home we lose the signal during bad weather and always at the critical program moment.
$895 is a lot on $$$ to install and make sure you don't do what I did with your plans.

luvlabs 10-31-2017 08:21 AM

I would not get it because:

1. The price is too high
2. Campground WiFi is, for the most part, not worth connecting to. Anyway, campgrounds usually have strong signals but data bandwidth too small to carry any reasonable amount of traffic.
3. Limited service with AT&T. If you prefer Verizon, then this antenna is not going to work for you.

So, a limited device with a narrow usage profile and a high price, says save your money.

owr 11-01-2017 01:54 PM

Uconnect

Well from an owners point of view ...it works great! Better than my prior wireless booster which was a jeffatech ....the jeffatech worked but not anywhere as smooth or seamlessly as the uconnect and not near the speed either... is it expensive to buy the cell time ...yes a bit .... but it sure is nice to have a solid connection ! We just took delivery a few weeks back of our new 2018 phaeton it was installed on it from the factory ..... I would do it again !

D Moffitt 11-01-2017 02:21 PM

I've owned the original ConnecT from Winegard (WiFi booster only) for about a year and really enjoy it. I carry 2 iPhones (one with AT&T and another with Verizon.) If the RV park has weak WiFi, I can tether the phone with best signal to the ConnecT. What makes it really nice is that I have a laptop, wireless printer, iPad and Apple TV that automatically connect no matter where I'm getting the signal (no need to connect them individually.) The other good feature is that the network created for all my stuff is secure, regardless of the source it's connected to.
When the newer WiFi/LTE model came out, I was hopeful that it could be used as a cell phone booster for my phones, without having to sign up for a separate data only plan. Unfortunately, that is not the case. I let Winegard know that the required data plan was a "non-starter" for me with that particular product.
So, I continue to enjoy the original ConnecT. The rigid antennas are barely higher than my air conditioners, so I'm not worried about them. Some would argue that there are other products just as capable for a lower cost. However, I like the ConnecT's neat installation.

emerkel 11-04-2017 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flywithcoop (Post 3876314)
I changed At&T U verse to directv in April so I could get satellite in the MH. At the same time I changed my cell and home connections. No longer had a package. Now I DON'T have a wifi hot spot on my phone because I changed to the unlimited plan. You can only get the AT&T hot spot with a limited plan. Also I cannot tether anything to my phone due to unlimited. I can stream directv on my phone but can't connect phone to my TV or laptop. AT&T will get you anyway they can. Also they now limit my home data to 1Terabite. Was unlimited before I changed to new service. Can't binge watch netflix, hulu, etc. And with directv at home we lose the signal during bad weather and always at the critical program moment.
$895 is a lot on $$$ to install and make sure you don't do what I did with your plans.

I am sorry about your woes but wanted to say that I was able to get a new ATT Unlimited Plus account with a hotspot as the device, one line, unlimited data that I can use via the hotspot for $90 a month, 2-year contract. If they decide they made a mistake and want to change the plan they will either need to grandfather me in (which is what they historically do) or give me an out. We also have ATT for the house but I set this up as a new account so that the two were separate. We plan on selling the house and going full time early 2018 and I didn't want these two comingled so hopefully there is less chance that they could jack with me at that time. You might still be able to do the same. Just a thought.

Good luck!

flywithcoop 11-04-2017 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emerkel (Post 3884182)
I am sorry about your woes but wanted to say that I was able to get a new ATT Unlimited Plus account with a hotspot as the device, one line, unlimited data that I can use via the hotspot for $90 a month, 2-year contract. If they decide they made a mistake and want to change the plan they will either need to grandfather me in (which is what they historically do) or give me an out. We also have ATT for the house but I set this up as a new account so that the two were separate. We plan on selling the house and going full time early 2018 and I didn't want these two comingled so hopefully there is less chance that they could jack with me at that time. You might still be able to do the same. Just a thought.

Good luck!

They didn't change my unlimited data until I changed to Directv. They probably won't change yours until you make a change. They are sneaky while changing my uverse to diretv they offered me cell phone unlimited data at a very reasonable rate but NEVER informed me I would lose hot spot or couldn't tether to tv or lap top. Yes I could get hot spot if I wanted to pay more money. Before all the changes we were paying close to $500 a month for cable, internet, home, and cell phones. We now pay about $250 for everything including premium channels. The cost to "be connected" is ridiculous. It ranks up there with bottled water.

majfrizz 11-07-2017 07:22 PM

The new and improved Winegard Connect will be out in Jan.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/wifi...ml#post3890190

Bob

Dfreiberger 03-07-2018 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by owr (Post 3879964)
Well from an owners point of view ...it works great! Better than my prior wireless booster which was a jeffatech ....the jeffatech worked but not anywhere as smooth or seamlessly as the uconnect and not near the speed either... is it expensive to buy the cell time ...yes a bit .... but it sure is nice to have a solid connection ! We just took delivery a few weeks back of our new 2018 phaeton it was installed on it from the factory ..... I would do it again !

Hi OWR...I have a new 40AH as well but I passed on the Booster system. However, it is prewired for easy installation. I guess I am trying to justify the Smart Ts they put in the motorhome. Also, my last three outings, the part WiFi was terrible. I talked to Winegard who said all devices, including TVs would connect to it. I also talked to ATT since that is who has my cell phone service. They can provide me a sim card for the antenna and I can run off my existing ATT service for $10 additional a month. I guess what I am asking is have you connected your smart TVs to it yet? Thanks in advance for any info.

Lt Dan 03-07-2018 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dfreiberger (Post 4074407)
Hi OWR...I have a new 40AH as well but I passed on the Booster system. However, it is prewired for easy installation. I guess I am trying to justify the Smart Ts they put in the motorhome. Also, my last three outings, the part WiFi was terrible. I talked to Winegard who said all devices, including TVs would connect to it. I also talked to ATT since that is who has my cell phone service. They can provide me a sim card for the antenna and I can run off my existing ATT service for $10 additional a month. I guess what I am asking is have you connected your smart TVs to it yet? Thanks in advance for any info.

Dutch, I don't think the current Winegard Connect can accept a SIM card. From what I have researched, it only supports the Winegard data plans which are pricey. Some time in the next few months the new Connect model is supposed to be out that has interchangeable SIM cards, but rumor has it the cabling may be different. It also does not have the five antennas sticking up as everything is in an enclosed dome like the Rayzar TV antenna. I'm waiting on it to decide if I want to add that to ours.

EDIT: I just checked the Winegard web site and they now have it on there. It was not there a couple of weeks ago. It also looks like it does not use the ethernet cable like the original ConnecT, just a power cable so I guess it is self contained.
http://www.winegard.com/connect/rv

owr 03-08-2018 11:18 AM

Hi Defrieburger

The best way I have found to run the whole bus is wirelessly hook all the electronics (iPad phones everything) to the uconnect and then there is only one connection to be made at the campground. So I guess the answer is yes all the tvs etc hook right to it.
It does a great job of boosting and the speed is good bearing in mind it cannot go faster than its connection .... so if the campground connection is slow ...well it can only get what is there ... it does a great job of improving it ... mine doesn't allow for a SIM card I wish it did ..but I connect it to my phone and wa-la everything is on going down the road as long as the phone has signal.

Hope that helps let me know if you have any other questions!