iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   MH-General Discussions & Problems (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/)
-   -   Checking water level and adding water to batteries (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/checking-water-level-and-adding-water-to-batteries-366290.html)

1stmh 11-02-2017 09:11 AM

Checking water level and adding water to batteries

Hi,

I have a pair of 6 volt batteries I need to check the
fluids on and add distilled water.

This is not something I have done before.

Is this something I can do myself easily?

Batteries are Excide gc135.

Thanks,

Stephen

ej1144 11-02-2017 09:25 AM

Go to auto parts store and get a battery fill tool it looks like a turkey baster on steroids. Easy-to-use . suck up distilled water and add water to the cells just enough to reach the cell slot .do not overfill . easy.

Sent from my LG-H910 using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app

MSHappyCampers 11-02-2017 09:35 AM

Here 'ya go!

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Fille.../dp/B00NB80QI4

You can find this at most any auto parts store! Works great! :D :thumb:

Cousin Ed 11-02-2017 03:15 PM

I used a "sport top" water bottle when I had batteries that took water.

TonyDi 11-02-2017 03:27 PM

I installed a similar system to this on my battery bank. One hose in distilled water and all cells are fill to the proper level. You don't have to slide the battery tray out or take the caps off. :thumb:

dennis45 11-02-2017 03:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The poor man's battery fill device. Recycled Ketchup Bottle and a piece of 3/16" clear tubing. Just squeeze to add water.

1stmh 11-03-2017 06:56 AM

Thanks all,

I had forgotten about being able to get a battery watering kit.

TripleEEE 11-03-2017 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dennis45 (Post 3881769)
The poor man's battery fill device. Recycled Ketchup Bottle and a piece of 3/16" clear tubing. Just squeeze to add water.

That's a great idea, dennis45!

I think I will adopt that one....:thumb:

sandpsycho 11-05-2017 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dennis45 (Post 3881769)

I am steeling this idea.:thumb: I have two batteries that I have no room to get to yet even look at the water level. I can attach the the end to the small mirror that I have to use to even see into the battery.

Thanks for posting this.

marjoa 11-07-2017 05:15 AM

Flow-Rite, Qwik-Fill On-Board Battery Watering System

Installed a Flow-Rite, Qwik-Fill On-Board Battery Watering System for both of my house batts and my chassis battery with Kit A that took care of both house batts, Kit B which was for the chassis battery and then Kit C which is the Squeeze Bulb Filler that has to be bought separately.

These kits came with plenty of hose (black & clear) to cut and modify each length that was needed with plenty left over. Also comes with extra small fittings and red caps so you can switch and modify each manifold the way the lines need to be routed for your situation. They are well supplied kits with good instructions and great packaging.

Purchased from the rvupgradestore.com
https://www.rvupgradestore.com/searc...k-Fill&Submit=

My Install Procedure:
1) Made sure all my batteries were up to full charge before I installed new system

2) Since I’d have to disconnect a couple of my battery cables to gain access to the fill cells to install this new watering system, the first thing I did was make sure all coach systems were off, no shore power hooked up and then hooked up my OBD II 12volt Battery Backup Memory Saver to the OBD port under the dash to preserve ECM and all other codes etc.

3) Removed my watch & wedding band and put on safety glasses and rubber surgical gloves

4) After reading the directions of different ways to route fill lines, and since I was using 2 kits to go across 3 batteries, I drew out on paper a simple drawing of how I was going to route my lines and which of the included fittings had to switched out or reversed on the manifolds for my particular setup and then made those modifications (one pair of manifolds at a time)

5) Did the install.

6) Afterwards, I got my gallon of distilled water, attached Kit C which is the filler bulb to the new systems clear fill line, dropped the other end into the gallon jug and began squeezing the bulb. It took about 12 or so squeezes to fill the batteries. Once filled, detached the fill line using the quick disconnect fitting that’s included and made that line long enough to keep it attached to the batteries and in the battery bay for easy access next time.

So next time when I want to check my water level (about once a month) I just go fetch my gallon of distilled water and filler bulb, drop one end into the gallon, snap the other end to the battery fill line and squeeze. When the bulb gets firm, the batteries are full.

Total time of install of about 1 hour. Total cost was right about $104 or so because I also bought a bottle of Aerospace 303 to get me over the $100 mark to get Free Shipping.

RayJr 11-07-2017 05:30 AM

I got one of those battery fillers on Ebay and it works fine except for the 1 rear battery that is hard to get too, SO I'am going to copy the MacGyver Ketshup bottle, good old GI ingenuity.

1stmh 01-12-2018 09:01 AM

Only getting around to this now.
I ordered a fill tool.

Walmart has distilled water for less tgan a 1$ will this be ok? Also how many should I get?

RKins 01-12-2018 12:32 PM

You may have to use a knife and cut the plastic that is covering the plugs in the battery top - it's like they are "maintenance free" when they cover them up but we know they aren't. Then you can pry them off to see what the water looks like. I had to do that on mine.
Thanks for reminding me I need to check and water mine. You can usually get distilled water for $.69 / gal at WM. I would hope a gallon is way too much.

Sherpa Vern 01-12-2018 12:42 PM

Yes, this is a task that you can do!

A couple of suggestions;

Before you fill the batteries, clean them before removing the cell caps. This is easily done with water and plenty of baking soda to neutralize and acid residue on the tops of the batteries. Depending upon how dirty they might be, a small brush might be helpful to agitate the baking soda mixture before rinsing. More baking soda into any nooks and crannies where the rinse water might collect will ensure that no acid sits and causes damage to metal, etc. Be prepared to throw away any rags or brushes that you use on the batteries, as acid is not their friend. Cheap, one time use, bristle paint brushes work well as they can also reach in between batteries on some installations.

This is also a good time to inspect your cable connections for damage, corrosion and being tight, all leading causes of low voltage or battery failure.

Not allowing any dirt, dust or other contaminants to get into the cells is very important, hence the use of distilled water.

I use a filler similar to what Joe suggested. Mine came from O'Reilley Auto Parts for $12.00 and has an additional cap on the top to fill the container without removing the fill nozzle. It holds two quarts and I usually use about half of that to top off 3, 8D 12v batteries. I especially liked the fact that these are still around since I bought my first one about 50 years ago. As some have mentioned, clearance can be an issue, so that is worth checking. I have clearance issues on the back side of each battery affecting 6 caps when I used a baster type filler, but not with the current filler jug. The nozzle on their jug has an auto shutoff for when the cell is filled to the proper level, so seeing into the cell is not necessary. The filler creates a tight seal on the cell while filling and minimizes the risk of allowing contaminates into the cells and gets the cells filled with one touch per cell. It's not as hands free as the plumbed fillers, but does a good job, is 10% of the cost and I need things to do with my hands.

My preference is to buy distilled water in jugs that have screw caps rather than the ones that snap on after being opened. It's just a little thing that ensures that the water stays clean. I have had the other caps come off and I don't like the spills or the contamination of the water. It's all about a $1 a gallon and well worth the small expense to make expensive batteries last longer.

It will probably take you less time to fill your batteries than it took me to post this reply, but I just thought a few little details might be helpful to you.

Enjoy your new maintenance adventure.

Bill