iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Toads and Motorhome Related Towing (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/)
-   -   2017 Jeep Cherokee (Noise When Putting Into Tow Neutral) (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/2017-jeep-cherokee-noise-when-putting-into-tow-neutral-379910.html)

barryvo1 02-21-2018 01:24 PM

2017 Jeep Cherokee (Noise When Putting Into Tow Neutral)

I get a weird kind of grinding noise once in awhile when completing the process of putting the Cherokee in to tow neutral. Has anyone else experienced this?

I took it to the dealership and they could not replicate the problem. The noise happens during step 14 of the process (shifting back into park).

twinboat 02-21-2018 01:53 PM

If your shifting back into park with the engine running, it will grind the parking pawl in the transmission.

Lt Dan 02-21-2018 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinboat (Post 4051011)
If your shifting back into park with the engine running, it will grind the parking pawl in the transmission.

Ditto! If you shift back into park with the engine running it will grind. Turn the ignition off before shifting back into park.

Carol99 02-21-2018 02:27 PM

My instructions tell me to Start the engine AFTER shifting transfer case into neutral and BEFORE shifting into park. And it works well with no grinding noise.
When I first got the Cherokee, I did not start the engine and I got the grinding noise. Go figure.

Betr2Trvl 02-22-2018 05:28 AM

First off, the engine IS supposed to be running when you do the final shift to P on the "new" (2014-2018, not sure about the new-new 2019 when it comes out) Cherokees. So let's clear that up to start with.

Second, it's not supposed to grind, you are doing something wrong, if it does.

You have to follow the steps in the manual exactly how they are written, that includes foot on or off the brake - if it doesn't say foot on the brake pedal, don't put your foot on the brake pedal. Let all the chimes stop before starting a step in the process.

When you do the final shift from N to P, do it quickly and firmly, do NOT pause for even a second in R (which is I bet what you did). If you hear the grind, stop, do not force it, and start all over from the beginning.

Before you turn the engine off, make sure you turn off the parking brake. Now, being contradictory, I have had to turn the engine back on to turn off the parking brake with no issues.

Finally, we do a "walking toad check" when we pull out. Wife has a walkie talkie and we check all the lights on the jeep, then I start to slowly pull away. She makes sure the tow bars extend and lock, and starts walking around the Jeep as I drive listening to ensure there are no weird noises, and all the wheels are rolling freely. Depending on getting the tow bars to lock out, she may walk along for 50 yards or so....

I made a copy of the Jeep owner's manual pages with the tow instructions, and just keep it in the Jeep console.

twinboat 02-22-2018 10:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a screen shot from the 2018 Grand Cherokee manual.

It say put it in reverse, if no vehicle movement, set the brake and shut off. Then place in park.

Betr2Trvl 02-23-2018 02:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just to clarify, as this OP's question relates to his 2017 Jeep Cherokee, which AFAIK is exactly the same across all 2014-2018 Cherokee models (not the Grand Cherokee).

As I noted in my previous post, the engine is ON when the shift is made into P, as you can see in steps 8-13 in my 2015 owner's manual.

Not sure why it is different than the GC, but it is.........

Carol99 02-23-2018 02:47 PM

Identical instructions for my 2018 Latitude. I have the Active Drive II which may be the difference since the Grand Cherokee has the Quadra Trac ?

MSHappyCampers 02-23-2018 04:14 PM

Hi ! :wavey: Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang! :dance:

Can't help with the noise problem but wanted to say hello! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless! :thumb::D