iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Tiffin Owner's Forum (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f106/)
-   -   Extended warranty's, Paint protection? Worth the cost? (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f106/extended-warrantys-paint-protection-worth-the-cost-383215.html)

Rspitler 03-19-2018 08:39 AM

Extended warranty's, Paint protection? Worth the cost?

We are winding down our purchase and now have to decide on what extra coverage's we want, if any...

Are they worth the investment?

"Route 66" 5yr coverage on entire coach $4749
"Maxxguard" exterior paint protection (supposed to last 5yr) $995
"Maxxguard" interior protection $300 more
Tire warranty $799
Gap coverage $995.

Any experience with the above?
Having a hard time justifying $7838 additional cost.
Can do a lot of repairs for that!

nosticks 03-19-2018 08:49 AM

No and neither is fabric protection and extended warranties.

Mr_D 03-19-2018 08:52 AM

Gap coverage maybe, the rest no.

masdixdragon 03-19-2018 08:58 AM

Im buying in a year too...those figures are frightening..what exactly is gap coverage without the others?

luvlabs 03-19-2018 09:00 AM

Take you $7000+ and put it in a bank account. If you need any non-warranty repairs, use that account to pay for them. At the end of 5 years, you will have a substantial balance left.

Everyone of those "services" are designed to enhance the dealers profit. He's already making enough on the coach sale.

garykk 03-19-2018 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSsaginaw (Post 4092528)
We are winding down our purchase and now have to decide on what extra coverage's we want, if any...

Are they worth the investment?

"Route 66" 5yr coverage on entire coach $4749
"Maxxguard" exterior paint protection (supposed to last 5yr) $995
"Maxxguard" interior protection $300 more
Tire warranty $799
Gap coverage $995.

Any experience with the above?
Having a hard time justifying $7838 additional cost.
Can do a lot of repairs for that!

No to all....most of that is just extra $$ for the dealer. Like LuvLabs says, put that money in the bank...

Rspitler 03-19-2018 02:50 PM

Maxxguard protection

WE are thinking the exterior and interior protection might be worthwhile. would be nice to not have to wax the thing for 5 yrs. Or so they claim.

Any experience with Maxxguard or similar product?

lexton 03-19-2018 03:37 PM

A waste of money

Total waste of money on all of it. We're on our 6th Class A, plus have owned 2-5th wheels. Make sure all of your issues are fixed before your warranty runs out. Wax it once a year with some aircraft protectant. If you don't want to do it yourself, hire someone to do it for you. I was in the service business for 30 years. The highest profit margin in any service business is maintenance contracts or extended warranties. The profit margins are outrageous. Over 90% in most industries. This is why they push them on you so hard.

Rspitler 03-19-2018 04:38 PM

Gap coverage covers the difference between what you paid and what insurance will give you if totaled! ��

MRUSA14 03-19-2018 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSsaginaw (Post 4093176)
would be nice to not have to wax the thing for 5 yrs. Or so they claim.

It would be nice. So would a coach that never needs fuel. Or never needs plugging in. Or a lot of other things that are never going to happen.

TonyDi 03-19-2018 05:05 PM

I like your optimism, but here is no way you will get by without waxing it. Unless you don't care about the way the finish looks.

allegro1x 03-19-2018 07:29 PM

My 2012 has never been waxed and the gelcoat from the factory is fine and only gets washed once a year. All that junk is like dealer prep on a new car - baloney and a sucker deal. Dave

LORIDER 03-28-2018 06:28 AM

Wife and I live in Louisiana, and have owned 5 motorhomes over the years, three of these have been Tiffin. I have never purchased extended warranty, or GAP insurance on any of the vehicles, however in a moment of delirium, weakness, or maybe just tired from the grueling effects of buying our 2018 we agreed to do so.
Shortly after which I realized what I had done, and in 2 maybe 3 days I contacted the finance office and rescinded both insurances,( which I was told we could do within 30 if we changed our minds) I was told I would have to do so by letter or on line. After not being able to do either I again called and was told to come to the dealership and sign a warranty cancellation form, which I did. I was then told I would receive a cancellation notice from the mortgage confirming this within 30 days.
This took place November 9th., 2017, it is now the 27th. of March, 2018 and there has been no response from the loan company. I can not seem to get this matter resolved, so I may have to go legal. Not adding interest to the initial amount, it was going to cost us $10,200.00 or more if not canceled.
The present mainstream insurance companies have gone to a gap clause built into their policies, and the base warranty usually covers your vehicle well beyond what may occur during your ownership.
Read the duration of the warrant that comes with the vehicle talk to your personal, insurance agent, and remember that old saying " if it sounds to good to be true, then it is. Thank you

neub 03-28-2018 08:37 AM

Consumer Reports on their list of things to watch out for when purchasing a vehicle, in regards to paint protection products...." It is little more than a vastly overpriced liquid wax you can easily purchase from an auto-supply shop for $10 or less."